DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie with Mavic Air 2 Flying Questions

mswlogo

Reactions
I used to fly RC Planes years ago so I was not to worried about flying a "smart" drone.

First day out went pretty good, but I did run into some trouble I'd like to ask about.

I'm on a lake and one excuse for buying it was I'm selling my property wanted some drone pics.

I was first in a protected area (protected from wind). Not super large. Like 25 x 50 feet of grass. Steep hill on one side the house sits on and lake on the other.

It kept beeping at me after launch. I figured it was warning me that the hill was not that far away.

It was extremely stable. Took a bunch of photos. 400 ft is really high (I didn't get near that).

Landed it a few times. All in Basic Beginner mode, auto landing etc. All good.

Ok, now I'm all cocky, and move out to the beach with a Dock. I launch off the dock. Took a bunch of pics. I'm ready to call it a day.

Bring it in slowly. Center it perfect on the dock and it flashes warning. Unstable Landing Area. Ok. Maybe the Dock is too narrow.

I didn't want to land in the sand on the beach and kick up sand into the motors. So I carefully head over to a grassy area behind the beach.

I'm like 2 feet above the ground and I click land and it won't land. It asked me to return to home (the Dock) or land here. I said land here.

I did notice a breeze had kicked up since I started. Maybe it thinks it's to windy to land. It wasn't that bad and it wasn't drifting.

So now I need to head way over to where I landed first flights. Not to thrilled because it's a bit narrow.

As I'm going along the edge of the water. It decided to just land. 1 foot from the water !!!! I lucked out big time.

What happened?

How could I force it to land earlier on the grass in the slight breeze? I know you can do manual landing but is there a way to tell it to land on it's own as best it can.

I assume I had a pending landing request still going.

The UI was not clear about what was going on when it wouldn't land.

Just use the sticks and set it down. Don’t touch the auto landing button. Then Continue to hold the stick down after it lands To shut it off.

Once you get comfortable enough you can hand takeoff and hand land. The MA2 is a bit beefier which makes it easier to catch (imo) than the MA1. What I do is bring the drone in close, then switch to sport mode, position drone above my outstretched hand, push down to land and it will detect your hand as a landing spot. Then you just have to gently catch it and the motors will stop.
Never worry about landing and launching spots again.

Reactions: Romonaga
I'm new to this as well, in fact I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. However, I would say don't make your home point near water.

Once you get comfortable enough you can hand takeoff and hand land. The MA2 is a bit beefier which makes it easier to catch (imo) than the MA1. What I do is bring the drone in close, then switch to sport mode, position drone above my outstretched hand, push down to land and it will detect your hand as a landing spot. Then you just have to gently catch it and the motors will stop.
Never worry about landing and launching spots again.
That sounds cool.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livewire