DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nexus 7 for tablet

motopokep

Reactions
Is Google Asus Nexus 7 v2 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, 16gb storage and 2gb ram considered good for flying the MP, and stable with all types of DJI software? I found a refurbished one for $120 and a pre-owned one for as low as $50. I may go that route over a new $90 Huwawei T3, which is known to have problems with latest DJI software versions.

Thanks for the reply. After hours of reading on here and comparing tablet specs, I decided to go with a refurbished "excellent like-new condition" 2nd gen Nexus 7 for $128. There are many other great tablets out there, but some have issues with software, others seem to not have enough CPU and ram power, and getting a $250 tablet for $130 that's recommended by DJI was a no-brainer.

I've got a better tablet which also works perfectly (mediapad m3) but now have my nexus 7 2013 permanently dedicated to drone flying. Its cheap, simple and just works. Every time.

I have one but not sure I'd buy it to run the latest apps as they are more demanding than the old DJI one I have on it. There are times it struggles and you sometimes see blocky artefacts on screen.
Turning off the video cache resolves that.
I have Litchi on it and that works fine.

I have one but not sure I'd buy it to run the latest apps as they are more demanding than the old DJI one I have on it. There are times it struggles and you sometimes see blocky artefacts on screen.

I've seen this also with my Nexus 7. I think you are right. The newer versions of GO4 are starting to push the limits of the Nexus 7. The tablet is the perfect size though if they would just make it with a faster proc and more ram! :) FYI, I've also had the same blotch problem with Litchi on the Nexus 7 recently.

Last edited:
I use the Nexus 7 2013 with my Mavic Pro Platinum. I just got the MPP a week ago. Today I was having terrible video feed on the Nexus 7. Part of the screen had decent video, the bottom half and some "chunks" were just black. Any thought as to what was going on and how to fix the problem?

That tablet no longer handles the DJI app. That's exactly what mine was doing. Lots of drop outs too. I switched to a newer tablet a Google pixel c and all is well again

I've used N7 w/ the latest GO app and latest firmware. It's a bit sluggish as far as performance. I see a lot of momentarily picture pixelations.

I've seen this also with my Nexus 7. I think you are right. The newer versions of GO4 are starting to push the limits of the Nexus 7. The tablet is the perfect size though if they would just make it with a faster proc and more ram! :) FYI, I've also had the same blotch problem with Litchi on the Nexus 7 recently.
Im not sure if there's a fix for it. I think w/ the latest firmware and Go app version, N7's specification is at edge giving us picture pixelations and delays on some part of it's projection. I gave up and ended up picking up an iPad 4 mini. Good luck and hopeful, someone knew some workaround. N7's size, weight, look is just perfect.

Staying with older app is always an option. You can easily find a hacked version, that disables the update checks.

I had the same tablet. It was perfect but I switched to a iPad Pro for the bigger screen. Anyone want my 2013 nexus 7? Lol.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013). Also sometimes I encounter problems with pixelization video feed. I reset the settings to factory defaults, set a custom kernel, set the processor speed to 1728 and the graphics processor frequency to about 477. Most of the system applications (mostly google applications such as youtube, docs, drive, etc.) have frozen. Antutu shows an increase of 5000-7000 points. This weekend I will check the stability of the DJI GO application. If the weather is normal (I'm from Russia)

I have a Nexus 7 (2013). Also sometimes I encounter problems with pixelization video feed. I reset the settings to factory defaults, set a custom kernel, set the processor speed to 1728 and the graphics processor frequency to about 477. Most of the system applications (mostly google applications such as youtube, docs, drive, etc.) have frozen. Antutu shows an increase of 5000-7000 points. This weekend I will check the stability of the DJI GO application. If the weather is normal (I'm from Russia)

Let us know as soon as you try your new settings with the DJI GO4 app. It seems that some people have great success with Nexus 7 2013 and others do not. I wonder why.

All you can do is restart just beforehand, and turn off the video cache feature.
It is odd how sometimes it works OK then another time you get the intermittent lagging.

Regarding the video cache feature, is that in the DJI GO4 app? Thanks!

I wanted to try to further diagnose my Nexus 7 2013 video lag. It's too windy to fly this morning. But I started the controller, then the MPP, then plugged my Nexus 7 into the bottom USB port. It auto-loaded the DJI app.

The Nexus picked up the camera feed while the MPP power was on, but props not operating (I had the MPP on my dining room table). I picked up the MPP and moved it around the dining room, simulating flight, and the video was really choppy, in and out.

I still can't figure this problem out. Some people say to get the Litchi app, but I don't want to spend $25 and still have the same problem. And I don't want to spend $175 - 200 on an iPad Air 2 either.

Ideas??

Thank you for that link! I was able to do everything except the USB. I could not find anywhere on my Nexus 7 to configure the USB port settings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT