DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ocusync vs Lightbridge

coullit

Reactions
finding Ocusync better than Lightbridge I had on P4, P3 s and on P3 standard was terrible wifi connection.
I get no magnetic interference like I did with P4 i.e. being too close to my car...the video feed stays sharp to greater distance, no screen roll. The mavic on tests even out performs the new Inspire 2, a few videos on youtube comparing general video and tx range. Amazing really and the transmitter so much smaller with small antennas
Does anyone have any more info on Ocusync? Ive heard it was military developed software.
Thanks

What Is DJI Ocusync And How Does It Work?
When DJI released the Mavic Pro they decided to change the transmission system that communicates between the remote control and the drone.

The new system is called OcuSync and it has some impressive capabilities worth looking at.

Of course, it also has some differences and downsides to the other transmission technology in the DJI Lightbridge family.

OcuSync Special Capabilities
DJI had some cool ideas when they were designing OcuSync, because they had plans for the DJI Goggles.

OcuSync was developed with the capability of supporting multiple outputs easily.

The Mavic Pro can be connected to

Quick Navigation
OcuSync Specs
Video Resolution
Transmission Modes
Latency
Transmission Distance
OcuSync Specs
Let's go a little deeper and have a look at what the specs are of the Ocusync system.

Video Resolution
Ocusync can transmit video at either 720p or 1080p.

It depends on the situation, but in general OcuSync will use 1080p for close range transmission and 720p for long-range transmission. Which makes sense, as it is harder to transmit so much data at longer distances.

Video Download Speed
When things are running well, at a shorter distance and low interference, you can get photo and video downloads at 40Mb/s.

Transmission Modes
THE DJI Mavic Pro using OcuSync starts by scanning for any local interference and then makes a decision between three transmission channels: 20MHz mode, the 10MHz mode, and the lowest priority 1.4MHz mode.

During flight it will then automatically switch between channels (within the chosen mode) if it notices any interference.

So, the system is very robust.

Latency
A big issue with any transmission system is the latency. Which is the amount of delay you experience.

The DJI team have done a great job with the new OcuSync and achieved these values:

• 5ms for remote controller transmission commands
  • 10ms for video data
  • 130ms for videos
Note: 160ms-170ms from the Mavic’s camera to your device screen under ideal conditions.

Transmission Distance
OcuSync has a great transmission distance and I have seen a lot of videos on Youtube where people have flown these distances.

OcuSync has a range of up to 4.3 miles (7 km).

Expert World Travel

Last edited:
heres Lightbridge notice theres only 2.4 Ghz unlike ocusync which flips between 2.4.5.2 and 1.4 channels

DJI Lightbridge is a revolutionary 2.4G Full HD digital video downlink offering extremely powerful technology in a small and lightweight form. By offering 1080p video data transmission from up to 1.7km (1.05miles) away, it's the ideal solution for professional aerial creators and FPV users. It features an aluminum alloy casing, and extreme internal and external shielding for interference protection. Recharging can be done through the supplied charger or a 3S~6S Li-Po battery. Each charge lasts for up to 4.5 hours. Give your creativity a boost with pin sharp imagery today.

Features

• The First All DJI 2.4G Full HD Digital Video Downlink
    Up to 1.7 km (1.05 miles) long distance transmission
    Up to 1080p60 input and 1080i60 output support
    Low latency. Maximum latency of approximately 100ms.
    Use with other low latency film making equipment for the best experience.
  • Master-Slave Mode
    One ground system sends control signals and receives video, additional ground systems receive only video.
  • Dual Video Input Support
    DJI Zenmuse HD gimbal input support.
    Simultaneous HDMI and AV input support allows pilot monitoring and camerawork at the same time using just one system.
  • Aluminum integrated electromagnetic shielding design
  • Multiple Mobile Device and HDMI HD Display Support
    Charges USB devices, increasing on-set functionality.
    USB 2.0 image data output for iOS and Android synchronization.
    Android 4.1.2 or above recommended.
  • Advanced Security
    Encryption ensures only authorized devices receive data. Encryption can be set up through the Lightbridge app.
    Multiple downlinks can be connected for parallel streaming. Each can work independently without interference.
    Use with DJI multirotor flight controllers to make your flights even safer.

It may then be the high end cameras prefer Lightbridge

• Dual Video Input Support
    DJI Zenmuse HD gimbal input support.
    Simultaneous HDMI and AV input support allows pilot monitoring and camerawork at the same time using just one system.

heres the specs
Supported flight control system A2WooKong-MNaza-M-V2Phantom 2
Transmission Distance (Outdoor And Unobstructed) 1.7km
EIRP 100mW
Receiver Sensitivity(1%PER) -101dBm ±2dBm
Working Frequency 2.4GHz ISM
Air System Antennas Gain 2.0±0.7dBi@2450MHz
Ground System Antennas Gain 5.0±0.7dBi@2450MHz
Operating Temperature -10~50 °C
Dimension (No Antennas) Air system: 68mm(L)X48mm(W)X21mm(H)
Ground system: 125mm(L)X90mm(W)X20mm(H)
Gross Weight (No Antennas) Air system: 71g
Ground system: 295g
Air System Operating Voltage Air system: 3S~6S
Ground system: 3S~6S
Operating Amperage Air system: 700mA ±20mA(@12V)
Ground system: 600mA ±10mA(@12V)

What Is DJI Ocusync And How Does It Work?
When DJI released the Mavic Pro they decided to change the transmission system that communicates between the remote control and the drone.

The new system is called OcuSync and it has some impressive capabilities worth looking at.

Of course, it also has some differences and downsides to the other transmission technology in the DJI Lightbridge family.

DJI had some cool ideas when they were designing OcuSync, because they had plans for the DJI Goggles.

OcuSync was developed with the capability of supporting multiple outputs easily.

The Mavic Pro can be connected to

Quick Navigation
OcuSync Specs
Video Resolution
Transmission Modes
Latency
Transmission Distance
OcuSync Specs
Let's go a little deeper and have a look at what the specs are of the Ocusync system.

Video Resolution
Ocusync can transmit video at either 720p or 1080p.

It depends on the situation, but in general OcuSync will use 1080p for close range transmission and 720p for long-range transmission. Which makes sense, as it is harder to transmit so much data at longer distances.

Video Download Speed
When things are running well, at a shorter distance and low interference, you can get photo and video downloads at 40Mb/s.

Transmission Modes
THE DJI Mavic Pro using OcuSync starts by scanning for any local interference and then makes a decision between three transmission channels: 20MHz mode, the 10MHz mode, and the lowest priority 1.4MHz mode.

During flight it will then automatically switch between channels (within the chosen mode) if it notices any interference.

So, the system is very robust.

Latency
A big issue with any transmission system is the latency. Which is the amount of delay you experience.

The DJI team have done a great job with the new OcuSync and achieved these values:

• 5ms for remote controller transmission commands
  • 10ms for video data
  • 130ms for videos
Note: 160ms-170ms from the Mavic’s camera to your device screen under ideal conditions.

Transmission Distance
OcuSync has a great transmission distance and I have seen a lot of videos on Youtube where people have flown these distances.

OcuSync has a range of up to 4.3 miles (7 km).

Expert World Travel

Special Capabilities ?????? Please
Maybe your new to the RC community

1 - Your hyping up DJI's RC systems as if they are the inventors of it and as if it was Extraterrestrial technology
2 - The use of the RF transmission signals were invented and used for military development 80yrs. ago -- Not Yesterday
3 - Yes the Mavic's remote is small However its components and assembly are highly susceptible to EMI interference
The signal may be resistant to interference but what good is that if the Remote itself experiences interference that prevents the
actual comand signal from being properly transmitted ?
3 - There is nothing Special or new about DJI's OcuSync or Lightbridge RC systems DJI is using PCM and FHSS
4 - I can change all the emblems on my Ram truck to Ford but it's still a RAM truck
5 - The technology is being used in the RC community and will continue to be used in the future
Other then the Design of the Mavic's looks and software --- I don't think DJI invented any of the technology used in it

wikipedia.org
Pulse-code modulation - Wikipedia

Frequency-hopping spread spectrum - Wikipedia

Ocusync is almost unbelievable in the way it works.
I had a few techs from work looking at my Mavic and when I told them the Range their first comment was that it was impossible to get that kind of range and video BW using FCC WiFi band power limits.
We are all still puzzled at how DJI managed to get that kind of range on such a small amount of power.

Rob

EDIT:

OP

"Occusync looks far better on my Mavic than my Lightbridge on my Inspire 2. :("

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been frustrating the hell out of me so I spent the last 2 hours testing different setups with my Mavic and Inspire. Both running off the same device. (A Samsung Tab S3 so plenty of power there).

Conclusion Theory: So the reason I think the I2 looks so pixelated and washed out a lot as I'm flying (the transmission) is that the LB system is constantly bounding channels due to interference's in a suburban area to try to find the absolute most efficient channel. The end result is a slight disruption in the stream.

Mavic uses Occusync and for w.e reason it is much more stable in AUTO mode - its like butter!

I was able to 100% stabilize quality video transmission on my Inspire 2 by using CUSTOM and then selecting a quality channel (#20). So for what ever reason the AUTO on Light Bridge is not as good as the AUTO on Occusync.

Last edited:
they are showing all the "accessories" for the new goggles as out of stock... when did they start selling the ocusync transmitter this way?
dennis

It got released today along with the goggles. You can't order the transmitter/camera separately at this point, but the combo pack includes them. They're probably keeping them for the packs.

Ocusync is optimized for fpv. It drops frames in order to keep response time low. This isn't a desirable trait on camera platforms like the inspire. My personal experience is I like lightbridge more. I had more issues with my mavic (not much though). The I2 and p4p use lightbridge HD (aka lightbridge 2.5)

Last edited:
i like the range option of the ocusync for search and rescue grid searches. i don't care about a few dropped frames. i wish they sold a ground receiver - they probably will in a few months...
dennis

Reactions: Roamer105
i like the range option of the ocusync for search and rescue grid searches. i don't care about a few dropped frames. i wish they sold a ground receiver - they probably will in a few months...
dennis
Range option?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123