DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ocusync vs Lightbridge

i like the range option of the ocusync for search and rescue grid searches. i don't care about a few dropped frames. i wish they sold a ground receiver - they probably will in a few months...
dennis

I've read reports that dji uses a remote ground receiver when they show off mavic at various events. It certianly exists, just hasn't been for sale yet.

Ocusync is optimized for fpv. It drops frames in order to keep response time low. This isn't a desirable trait on camera platforms like the inspire. My personal experience is I like lightbridge more. I had more issues with my mavic (not much though). The I2 and p4p use lightbridge HD (aka lightbridge 2.5)
We have all of P4P/I2/Mavic and in terms of video transmission the Mavic is far superior on all levels we could think of. Except one, precisely the lack of a standalone receiver able to provide a clean feed.
Image quality and smoothness is better with ocusync in all conditions we've worked in.

Experience is exactly the opposite as you say, LB drops frames while Ocusync drops quality to avoid interrupting the feed.

Last edited:
We have all of P4P/I2/Mavic and in terms of video transmission the Mavic is far superior on all levels we could think of. Except one, precisely the lack of a standalone receiver able to provide a clean feed.
Image quality and smoothness is better with ocusync in all conditions we've worked in.

Experience is exactly the opposite as you say, LB drops frames while Ocusync drops quality to avoid interrupting the feed.
Weird my experience is the opposite. I can go much farther on my p4p and i2 than my mavic.

I bought the RE Combo and got the OCUYSNC "Set" with everything to extend the range of my flying wing and now I wish I hadn't. A nightmare of unanswered questions as DJI state that my Spektrum DX7s radio cannot be used to connex with the RE Goggs in their own Tutorial and yet I have seen a YT video where a guy was flying an Occy with a Spektrum DX8 ? Others say you can use any radio, but what if you buy it and you're radio doesn't work with it? Sell OCUYSNC or BUY NEW RADIO?
To confuse me even more DJI says "use only Supported flight controllers: KISS, F3, F4, and Naze", others say you can use ANY S-type flight controller? All the info on how to setup and use this thing is contradictory is there anyone anywhere in DJI that can answer Two simple questions about the RE Goggs and the associated radios and FC's because I give up and will be Ebaying the problematic thing for which there is no consistent information at all on what you need to make it actually work.

If you know just a little bit about RC electronics which you usually would if you're building a wing and read the manual you'd easily understand what works together and what doesn't.

If you want to use the Ocusync link for control you need a radio that provides a standard PPM trainer signal and can turn it's internal RF off while doing so (almost any radio out there).
On the other end you get an SBUS output, so anything that can take an SBUS signal will work for control.
The Ocusync unit can connect to an MWOSD port on a flight controller to display telemetry data, so if you want that feature you need something that can talk to an MWOSD, that is what their "Supported flight controllers: KISS, F3, F4, and Naze" is about.

It's not exhaustive and not everything is required, on my current setup I use it only for video and use other solutions for control and telemetry. Obviously DJI can't list everything that exists in the DIY world. Your job to figure it out like with anything DIY.

It's the best thing that's ever existed for FPV on a fixed-wing aircraft.But yes, with your attitude it seems best to ebay it and let someone else enjoy it.

Last edited:
Yes i have built over 24 2.4G aircraft including four-engined models and two tricopters but settting up servos and receivers does not necessarily prepare you for advanced TX systems.If almost any radio out there works with the DJI RE Goggs why does the Goggs RE Setup video not say so? Oh yes, its DIY so go figure...
You're advice on SBUS is good so why does DJI simply not say that like you did? Instead they just say "These are the only compatible RX". Oh yes, it's DIY so go ask on the forum where ppl can be rude to you.
I believe that when a company is selling a complex and expensive system the consumer deserves some support, not all of us are Technical Whizzes.
Since you only use it for Video i suspect that there is something you dont like about the Remote Controller arrangement and since you are such a technical expert there must be a good reason.
Lastly, thank you for you're unnecessary and impolite remarks about my "Attitude", since you have never met me it is an outstanding demonstration of Remote Viewing no matter how inaccurate.

I did not watch the video, I hate videos because precisely they can never be exhaustive. The manual page that describes the connections available on the air unit basically tell you all you need to know... There's an SBUS output so anything SBUS will work, etc...

Since you only use it for Video i suspect that there is something you dont like about the Remote Controller arrangemen
On my wing I do not have a flight controller that can supply OSD data to the air unit, so the most convenient way to get telemetry data was to use a 868/900MHz (to not interfere with 2.4 ocusync) RF module in my radio for RC link and get the data back through it on my radio.

FPV, the related components and involved standards is a whole world of extra knowledge to acquire on top of standard RC models, you have a lot of learning to do that you won't find in any single component's manual. You won't find one component seller who will be able to explain you all the intricacies of an entire setup with a dozen of components and all the different way they may or may not interact. But once you know what things exist and how they operate it will be obvious what you can do with a given piece of equipment.

There are certainly some "FPV basics" guides around you can document yourself with. But yeah, when you come ranting about something that's simply an unreasonable expectation and an arrogant attitude you're not going to inspire people to help you.
If something that simple stops you you're up for a steep learning curve, so better start learning and taking the humble route...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J