DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

After having my MA for a few days, i thought i give it try how far i would come ...
The weather was not perfect the last days, but today it was at least sunny, but around 0° C (brrrr)
Finding a spot with hopefully less interference, no power lines etc., i think i was lucky.

LOS should be no problem - so, let's start;
Mavic AIR pure stock, stock RC, no windsurfer type antenna boosters or other fancy stuff.
GO4 4.2.6 on IPad mini 4.

Because of the low temperatures, i pre-heated all my 3 batteries in a special bag to approximately 38°C.

My first battery was just to get an impression about interfence, after reaching 2500m without significant warnings, i flew back home.
Battery #2 inserted and go!

I reached indeed 3.815m! Wow - impressive!

The wind was not perfect, i had tailwind on my way home ... i chickened out early :) Made it back with plenty of juice left. 25%
Anyhow, when the weather permits, i try agin, maybe i can reach the magic 4K ...

Here the Airdata link to the flight: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Pinging @Long Ranger

MavicAIR_3815.jpg MavicAIR_3815Home.jpg

Last edited:
12,064feet ;)......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180213-112608.jpg
    Screenshot_20180213-112608.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
After having my MA for a few days, i thought i give it try how far i would come ...
The weather was not perfect the last days, but today it was at least sunny, but around 0° C (brrrr)
Finding a spot with hopefully less interference, no power lines etc., i think i was lucky.

Mavic AIR pure stock, stock RC, no windsurfer type antenna boosters or other fancy stuff.

Because of the low temperatures, i pre-heated all my 3 batteries in a special bag to approximately 38°C.

My first battery was just to get an impression about interfence, after reaching 2500m without significant warnings, i flew back home.

The wind was not perfect, i had tailwind on my way home ... i chickened out early :) Made it back with plenty of juice left. 25%
Anyhow, when the weather permits, i try agin, maybe i can reach the magic 4K ...

Here the Airdata link to the flight: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Pinging @Drone Master

View attachment 31274 View attachment 31275
Awesome! Yea u always want tailwind on way home. This is probably some of the reason why u had 25 % left still

Going out if its anything more then 5mph its kind of not worth it with the air. U did good first time around. So like i said always make sure u go out in to a little wind .. u dont want to go out with a tail wind u will figjt your way back. Also when u hit rth instead of doing about 18 mph back hold right stick forward and u will achieve about 29 mph and rth will still be activated. so its like a little boost home that helps u get back dramatically faster, and doesnt eat battery like flying back in sport mode would.

Thanks @Mike4884,

yep, i was a little bit surprised that i made it home with 25% left... Anyhow - i'll try to hit the 4K barrier as soon weather permits.
I flew with OA off, always max speed in P_GPS mode. Also flying home, i only use manual control. No automated RTH.

But you are even close behind me with 12.064 ft. (3677m) ;-)

CU
//K.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Thanks @Mike4884,

yep, i was a little bit surprised that i made it home with 25% left... Anyhow - i'll try to hit the 4K barrier as soon weather permits.
I flew with OA off, always max speed in P_GPS mode. Also flying home, i only use manual control. No automated RTH.

But you are even close behind me with 12.064 ft. (3677m) ;-)

CU
//K.
Yes sometimes if coverage is spotty rth will help when signal is going in and out till u get closer to home. Then i always go manual. Another tidbit is. If u do get down to 10% it will start to auto land dont be alarmed, u can fight this....it happens slowly so just push up on throttle stick to maintain height and keep trucking back. Alot of people dont know this and either let it land/lose drone or ditch it while its still far out hoping to recover it.

Reactions: Keule

Pinging @Drone Master

Did you lose signal at that distance or was RTH trigger because of battery?

List Updated!
Looking good fellas!
Waiting to see who will try using the Wind Surfers first.
I already ordered mine. Never did for the MP because they were considered crap for Ocusync.
Now I will end up with a pair anyway! Cant hurt.:D

Did you lose signal at that distance or was RTH trigger because of battery?
No, signal was at 2 bars (5.8 GHz) - i decided to turn around, because i had no clue what the batteries would do in these temperatures (~ 0°C). Played it safe ...

List Updated!
Looking good fellas!
Waiting to see who will try using the Wind Surfers first.
I already ordered mine. Never did for the MP because they were considered crap for Ocusync.
Now I will end up with a pair anyway! Cant hurt.:D

I have a parabolic booster, but not sure it'll get me much in terms of distance. Seems like the battery is the limitation of you're not in a WiFi congested area.

I am sure someone is already trying to mod the battery.
I am already happily knowing that the MA can and will break the 4000M Distance!:cool: It’s coming!

13, 117 feet!!! By flight log Woohoo should be first .. close to dwallersv! Anyway came baack at 25 %!..... low battery smart return actually turned me around at 10,800 ft, i turned back around because in earlier test I noticed that the Smart Home return is pretty conservative. I turned around because my knees started shaking lol but I still had clear signal that's the crazy part I could have went a little more . Chickened out because i already went 1100 ft past smart rth!.... sooo I came back and had 25% which is crazy to me! But, I do come back in rth with right stick forward. U do 29 mph instead of just p-mode 18 mph full stick forward...just told yall my rth secret ;) sport mode would have been to chaotic on battery on rth....and 29 mph is the sweet spot. ...going out i did try oa off in p-mode in previous tests and its the same speed as normal p mode so no difference there. Big difference is on the way home. I think I am going to get a pair of those wimd surfers....never really tried them and I think they might work good with this "enhanced wifi"

Attachments

• 20180213_234504.jpg
    20180213_234504.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I just realized i needed 8 more feet to break 4000 meters!!!:eek: ill take the 3998 (going by flight log) meters tho!:D good idea drone master

Last edited:
I just realized i needed 20 more feet to break 4000 meters!!!:eek: ill take the 3994 meters tho!:D
I would give you rank, but it would be better if you would post your flight logs as proof. Your pic for distance is impressive, but prove it by posting more.
Let's keep this LeaderBoard as accurate as possible.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we have to put flight logs up lol wow ok see below

Last edited:
Heres your link....so now everyone should put flight logs up. People already on board should post theirs too..only fair! Also if we are going by flight logs i got 13,117 ft from home point. Please update
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Attachments

• 20180214_012835.jpg
    20180214_012835.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
That is certainly impressive. I tried to check my max range today. My place has a lot of wifi interference because as soon as I take off, interference messages start popping on the screen.
I was still able to send the aircraft 750 meters out and was getting the video feed, albeit a little choppy. Then a strange thing happened. The craft just refused to move ahead or move in any direction no matter what my stick inputs. It was showing that APAS (at 145 meters altitude :O) was being triggered and it won't move in any direction neither would it gain or lose altitude as if it was surrounded by an invisible wall. It got me worried but I kept my calm and pressed rth which helped and the air turned around and as soon as it started flying back I took control and got it back in sports mode.

I was pretty sure there was no obstacle in the way specially at that altitude for the air to trigger APAS. To test this I gathered some courage and sent it out again. The exact same thing happened once again at around 750 meters and the air stopped responding to my stick inputs and I had to activate rth to gain control once it turned back and started flying.

Anyone knows whats going on? I can share my flight log if someone can tell/guide me on how to fetch it.

That is certainly impressive. I tried to check my max range today. My place has a lot of wifi interference because as soon as I take off, interference messages start popping on the screen.
I was still able to send the aircraft 750 meters out and was getting the video feed, albeit a little choppy. Then a strange thing happened. The craft just refused to move ahead or move in any direction no matter what my stick inputs. It was showing that APAS (at 145 meters altitude :O) was being triggered and it won't move in any direction neither would it gain or lose altitude as if it was surrounded by an invisible wall. It got me worried but I kept my calm and pressed rth which helped and the air turned around and as soon as it started flying back I took control and got it back in sports mode.

I was pretty sure there was no obstacle in the way specially at that altitude for the air to trigger APAS. To test this I gathered some courage and sent it out again. The exact same thing happened once again at around 750 meters and the air stopped responding to my stick inputs and I had to activate rth to gain control once it turned back and started flying.

Anyone knows whats going on? I can share my flight log if someone can tell/guide me on how to fetch it.
Yea i noticed later in my flight when coverage is spotty it slows down to 8 mph then shoots up to 17, then back down to 2mph i guess it dont know whether to come home or keep going ... i see alot of attitude to large errors too and a few obstacle avoidance errors....apas is off correct? I keep mine off during distance runs

Yea i noticed later in my flight when coverage is spotty it slows down to 8 mph then shoots up to 17, then back down to 2mph i guess it dont know whether to come home or keep going ... i see alot of attitude to large errors too and a few obstacle avoidance errors....apas is off correct? I keep mine off during distance runs
No, apas was on in my case but it should not be triggered until there is an actual obstacle in the way. Also in my case the air completely froze at its location. Not even a 2mph movement in any direction.

I want to share the flight logs for others to add their opinion. How can we do that?

Reactions: zackdbassist
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929