DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

This is really me Dustin..lol. I guess that is a good reason to post a flight log. To verify it is the account holder. I have never posted here before because I did not know about this thread. A subscriber of mine recommended I post the flight here. I'm just very busy and hadn't check back here. I just had joined to post in this thread per my viewers recommendation. I'll try to figure out how to extract and post the log if it is completely necessary but looks like the requirement may have been removed? Trying to stay positive...lol
-Dustin
Thank you Dustin for your reply.
I will update the board shortly.:cool:

So tried to beat my previous record yesterday in the nice warm weather and had a huge fail. My screen capture apparently did not start so I can't show it, but started off in nice conditions with about 5mph tail wind went out to almost 15k ft, started coming back fine at about 30mph, then all of a sudden this crazy storm front appeared out of no where with 30+ mph head wind...poor mavic air was trying to push through it but speed went to a 5-10mph crawl for the last half of the return trip with max motor speed warnings. Ended up doing an emergency 0% landing about 2k feet away from me. Fortunately do my tests that have a large grassy field for half a mile in front of me in case something like this goes wrong, and quickly found it.

Goes to show can't really trust the weather and conditions can go south real quick, especially in a 15-20 min window.

Check this run out this guy has an ideal spot and timed to perfection

So tried to beat my previous record yesterday in the nice warm weather and had a huge fail. My screen capture apparently did not start so I can't show it, but started off in nice conditions with about 5mph tail wind went out to almost 15k ft, started coming back fine at about 30mph, then all of a sudden this crazy storm front appeared out of no where with 30+ mph head wind...poor mavic air was trying to push through it but speed went to a 5-10mph crawl for the last half of the return trip with max motor speed warnings. Ended up doing an emergency 0% landing about 2k feet away from me. Fortunately do my tests that have a large grassy field for half a mile in front of me in case something like this goes wrong, and quickly found it.

Goes to show can't really trust the weather and conditions can go south real quick, especially in a 15-20 min window.
Play flight log take screenshot? Or load your .txt flight log into dji phantom log viewer? Technically u did get out to one point ....just not back. Post it up.

Ozzi, Can you shed any light on if we in Australia are in FCC or CE mode? (or some other 3rd mode). I see only 11 channels in my 2.4g wireless section, which seems to say I'm in FCC mode. But all my normal electronics gear around the house has the CE logo on it, which I thought would have meant that Aus is a CE area.

Any thoughts on this?

I’m pretty sure we’re on FCC I’ve had my Air out to 4klms and my Mavic Pro,P4,P3A they all do the same distance as the US models

That flight cost 79 dollars lol

Lol mate. It's not that one flight like that and your battery would die. This way our cellphone batteries would be dead for most of us in a few weeks. I have returned home with batteries less than 10% on a number of occasions and the battery is still performing like it should.

OT, does anyone know how many charge cycles the mavic air batteries are designed for?

And you've bought them all at regular shops in QLD? Not OS or anything? (Sorry, I'm new to this)
Yes either from DJI direct or in Brisbane at Johnny Appleseed. It doesn’t really matter where you get them from because they automatically set by location

I've never really looked in-depth at a flight log before uploading here. Imo the batteries really aren't draining that bad even when taking them to zero. Seeing the voltage in the logs at still well above 3v per cell means that DJI has engineered a built in reserve so as to not damage the lipo when taking it low. Doing it all the time may affect longevity of coarse but I don't see any issue on occation. It may actually be good to bring it low after a number of cycles.

Reactions: zackdbassist
I'm hoping to see some mods for range soon!
That list is still up for grabs right now!
Who will be the first to beat Dustin for stock range from HP and back? Anyone going to try?

My 4hawks antenna should be here in a few days. Maybe ill post some numbers up soon. .. I can only imagine if I can get the 13,000 feet in an urban area! I should be pretty good

When i get some decent weather i will have another crack wont be happy till i loose the bloody thing or give myself a heart attack lol

So did some flights out in the city to check how bad range would be in the most congested area of the country, and some how ended up beating my record out here haha.

I don’t think anyone can doubt the air’s range in terms of its transmission tech at this point...it’s just as good as the pro’s, and could probably easily hit 6-7k if it was not battery limited.

If I knew I was so close to 5k I would have gone a bit more, but I was over water and didn’t want to risk issues with going under bridge. Got back with 15% battery.

Conditions were not that ideal, about a 5-10mph headwind. Definitely some more can be squeezed out of it on stock step-up.

(FYI before citizen police pounce on me, I flew out of one of the 3 designated drone fly zones in nyc).

I’ll post vid up later.

@Long Ranger

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozziebattler
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Had another run this morning still 2.4 yet to try 5.8,was going to go again but the fog came in. Still need to push a little further yet if the heart can handle it lol
Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest