DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Cinema Series - UNBOXING and GIMBAL TEST

I received my Cinema Series (Vivid) last week, tested all 3 ND/PLs and all of them clears the gimbal.

Here is my gimbal dance.

Reactions: delray
I'm usually a polar pro fan boy having used them since my P1 with GoPro. But the taco RC multi coat for mavic are just perfect. Light, reduces glare over water and do not color shift

Just tried my new PolarPro Cinema Vivid Series ND Filters in flight today.
Beforehand I practiced putting them on a couple of times to see how they fit. They fit well, snapping on and off.
I also tested putting them on at home and upon powering up the Mavic, the gimbal gave no error messages with the added ND filter.
I figured great, let's try it out for real now.

However, it became a whole different story in the field today...
I used the ND8 filter and made sure it was securely and uniformly attached to the camera.
But upon powering up the Mavic, I got a Gimbal Error message in DJI GO.
I restarted the Mavic several times to see what was happening.
Finally about the 3rd or 4th time starting up, I got to an initialization without having a DJI GO Gimbal Error message.
The Gimbal Error messages varied, to being:
Gimbal Overloaded, make sure the clamp is off.
Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Eventually I realized on the second or third startup, looking at the Mavic as it initialized and ended the startup with a gimbal error,
the camera would be left positioned at an odd, crooked angle.
My solution was to power off the Mavic, straighten the camera to a normal horizontal position and then restart the Mavic again.
Usually after doing this procedure the next startup would be without Gimbal Error messages and I would then fly with no problems.
This sequence happened the same way for two separate flights in different flight locations, using different batteries.
I confirmed the ND Filter was installed properly and uniformly, snapping on and off.
I have to assume the filter was catching on something during the startup sequence.
The only difference I can think of between being at home and in the field is the possibility
that at home the Mavic was completely level and maybe the field surface was not.
But these outdoor surfaces were not noticeably slanted, (one time on a flat boulder and the other from a concrete pad (with no rebar inside).
I've certainly taken off with the Mavic and Phantom 3 from much more uneven terrain.

While this is a disappointment, I will say I was pleased with the look of the video(s) using the ND filter.
However at this point I'm not sure what to do...
I'm thinking of returning them and trying out the new DJI filters or Taco at this point.
Getting a gimbal error message so frequently on startup is not workable.

Anyone else having issues, or have comments?
I'm currently experiencing the same problem. Very frustrated. I wouldn't have purchased if they didn't guarantee they would work upon startup.

I actually have both. The folks at Polar Pro was nice enough to give me a discount on the Cinema Vivid Series, which were received last Friday. I've tested with all three filters (Cinema Vivids). Repeating the same steps multiple times. The gimbal gets physically stuck in the same position (7 o'clock facing the drone), while initializing, until it works. I have to turn the battery off then manually re position the stuck gimbal--after approximatly 3 attempts the gimbal initialization works correctly. I continued testing after seeing the gimbal pass startup initialization. It worked each time after during testing...however, the problem resurfaced in the field. At first I thought the Mavic simply needed to adjust for the extra weight. Now, I'm not certain what is causing the issue. I will be reaching out to Polar Pro for a resolution.

Did you get a resolution? I'm having exact same problem.

try to re-install your Polarpro filters, push them in firmly at all sides to create a good seal around the gimbal.
I had flown my Mavic with all 3 of my Vivid filters... all works as intended with zero errors.

try to re-install your Polarpro filters, push them in firmly at all sides to create a good seal around the gimbal.
I had flown my Mavic with all 3 of my Vivid filters... all works as intended with zero errors.
I made sure they were properly installed, fully seated. It's very easy to determine based on the gaps on the lens. I'm not getting any kind of obstruction. It appears to be a weight / balance issue. I'll report back when I hear from PolarPro hopefully with a solution.

I had bought the Cinema Vivid Series ND Filters and had problems consistently with the fliters clearing the gimbal upon startup.
(Yes, they were pressed on firmly an uniformly).
PolarPro was nice enough to accept the return and refunded my money.

Beforehand I practiced putting them on a couple of times to see how they fit. They fit well, snapping on and off.
I also tested putting them on at home and upon powering up the Mavic, the gimbal gave no error messages with the added ND filter.

I used the ND8 filter and made sure it was securely and uniformly attached to the camera.
Finally about the 3rd or 4th time starting up, I got to an initialization without having a DJI GO Gimbal Error message.
Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Eventually I realized on the second or third startup, looking at the Mavic as it initialized and ended the startup with a gimbal error,
My solution was to power off the Mavic, straighten the camera to a normal horizontal position and then restart the Mavic again.
Usually after doing this procedure the next startup would be without Gimbal Error messages and I would then fly with no problems.
This sequence happened the same way for two separate flights in different flight locations, using different batteries.
I confirmed the ND Filter was installed properly and uniformly, snapping on and off.
I have to assume the filter was catching on something during the startup sequence.
The only difference I can think of between being at home and in the field is the possibility
that at home the Mavic was completely level and maybe the field surface was not.
But these outdoor surfaces were not noticeably slanted, (one time on a flat boulder and the other from a concrete pad (with no rebar inside).
I've certainly taken off with the Mavic and Phantom 3 from much more uneven terrain.

While this is a disappointment, I will say I was pleased with the look of the video(s) using the ND filter.
I'm thinking of returning them and trying out the new DJI filters or Taco at this point.

IMO one should be able to go through the gimbal calibration procedure without a filter interfering at all (not touching anywhere, not causing an error).

Have you tried that?

Can anyone claiming that their filters are fully pressed on provide a picture? I had the exact same issue installing my Vivid series and THOUGHT they were fully seated. After playing with it a little more, it was nowhere near fully seated. Getting it put on evenly enough to go all the way on solved the startup issues.

One thing I would like to know is how extensively Polar Pro or any other filter manufacturer tested the repeated removal/install of these filters on the incredibly fragile gimbal. That's my only longevity concern, not the weight once installed.

Okay, It's pretty easy to tell when the filter is pressed on properly and well-seated. If I pressed it on any harder I'd either damage the gimbal or never get it off...

Here's a short video of the error on startup with an ND16. (The error occurred using each of the three filters). Basically, I would put a filter on and try starting the drone. Without ever removing the filter, it would snag about 3 out of 4 times I began the startup sequence. Sometimes making sure the camera was straight and level before powering on seemed to help a bit.

Definitely looks like it's on all the way, but the clearance is very tight. Are you sure there's not something wrong with the little locking ring piece that might be holding it up just a hair?

Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

My issue I had was the when it was in flight I could see the camera was crooked. I had to do a gimbal roll midair to correct. Has happened a number of times now.

Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

I have the Taco and they are perfect in getting on and off. I do not get an gimbal errors. The problem I have is that I currently reside in Finland and there are days, literally days where there is not enough sunlight to require a filter. Also, the landscapes are GRAY, GRAY, GRAY. Did I mention how gray everything is? So in regards to actually shooting where there are bright skies and sun to test against, I can not really say. I can say however, that the Taco's work just fine with the gimbal.

You can get a fairly accurate EV reading from the Mavic on the ground. It may be a little different in the air, but it will constantly be changing as the camera faces different directions anyway, depending on the light. Your readings on the ground should be close enough.

I very much agree with this. I look at my surroundings and decide which filter I will use based on the amount of light I can see with my eyes. Even if you choose the wrong filter, you can adjust the ISO or shutter speed to match what you would have gotten with a different filter. The downside is that if you are shooting something very specific where more exacting exposure values are critical to your production, then it might be good to get a light meter or download one for you phone. I use one as well when I am a bit unsure, but for the most part it is easy to estimate.

Okay, It's pretty easy to tell when the filter is pressed on properly and well-seated. If I pressed it on any harder I'd either damage the gimbal or never get it off...

Here's a short video of the error on startup with an ND16. (The error occurred using each of the three filters). Basically, I would put a filter on and try starting the drone. Without ever removing the filter, it would snag about 3 out of 4 times I began the startup sequence. Sometimes making sure the camera was straight and level before powering on seemed to help a bit.

Thats actually a really good point, when the gimbal is pointed perfectly straight do you get the same error on start-up?

-Jeff

I wish it were otherwise, but starting with the camera pointing straight and level (with the ND filter already on), was the only method
I found that would let the camera complete it's gimbal startup sequence without snagging on the gimbal arm and producing an error message.
Unfortunately even this method didn't work reliably, but was the only way I found to start the sequence if it was going to work.

Here's the other video of the ND8 Filter startup sequence.

Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

I am having exactly the problem with my ND4p filter
Almost every time I power up, the gimbal hangs up. Looks like a duck with his head under the left wing.
Thinking about junking them.

I am having exactly the problem with my ND4p filter
Almost every time I power up, the gimbal hangs up. Looks like a duck with his head under the left wing.
Thinking about junking them.

Hi Jim, no need to junk them, you can return them to us for a refund, I would be interested to try to work with you to see if we can get you a set that pushes further onto the lens allowing it to clear start-up.

[email protected]

I wish it were otherwise, but starting with the camera pointing straight and level (with the ND filter already on), was the only method
I found that would let the camera complete it's gimbal startup sequence without snagging on the gimbal arm and producing an error message.
Unfortunately even this method didn't work reliably, but was the only way I found to start the sequence if it was going to work.

Can you send me an email? I would like to send out another set and see if we can get you dialed in.
They should pass through initialization 100% of the time.

I am interested to see why this is occurring with a few people but not a majority of them,
[email protected]

Thank you,
Jeff

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown