DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Cinema Series - UNBOXING and GIMBAL TEST

How do you guys choose which ND filter to use? I mean I have to fly up without a filter to figure out the exposure I get to filter, then come down to put on a filter. I've got TACO, but I still put em on a powered on drone after an initial recon lift off.

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app
If I'm flying for more than one battery, I want to be able to land, swap batteries, and take off right away. I don't want to have to remove the filter, swap batteries, then replace the filter.

I just received Polar Pro Cinema Shutter Series Filters and I have yet to fly with them, but powered on and off the Mavic indoors several times without any gimbal errors or strange behavior. The image on my device looked normal, focusing worked like normal, but this was sitting on a coffee table, will fly it soon.The filters are difficult to remove, so I use the gimbal clamp to help hold the camera, not easy to grip,a fingernail helps. Not something I want to remove while it's powered on. I've read that TACOs are better. I've read that some people have had gimbal errors with the PPro Vivid series. Those are actually heavier than the Shutter series (approx 1.35g vs 1.05g). To be Continued

Reactions: Speedy
Just got the Cinema Series Vivid. Just out of habit I always put the Taco ND filters on with the ND label (on the side of the filter) facing down. I installed these the same way to test the gimbal startup. The ND4pl and the ND16pl worked fine that way, but the ND8pl would always seem to get a little caught up near the end of the startup and give me a gimbal overload error. It always corrected itself and seemed to work fine afterwards. So I tried rotating the filter about an eighth of a turn each time and found an orientation (sweet spot) that has, so far, not given me a gimbal error in 10 or so startups. Something to try before returning them (maybe).

I just received Polar Pro Cinema Shutter Series Filters and I have yet to fly with them, but powered on and off the Mavic indoors several times without any gimbal errors or strange behavior. The image on my device looked normal, focusing worked like normal, but this was sitting on a coffee table, will fly it soon.The filters are difficult to remove, so I use the gimbal clamp to help hold the camera, not easy to grip,a fingernail helps. Not something I want to remove while it's powered on. I've read that TACOs are better. I've read that some people have had gimbal errors with the PPro Vivid series. Those are actually heavier than the Shutter series (approx 1.35g vs 1.05g). To be Continued
Yea, I found I had to slowly "walk" them off. A little bit on the bottom, then a little bit on the top for a couple of times. However, since I have put on and taken off these filters so many times already, either I am getting used to it or they are wearing in a bit because it seems to be getting easier.

Reactions: J-Dub
That's going to be a pain with a polarizing filter which needs to be rotated to the ideal angle.

You mean there's a this-side-up with polarized?
Yes, Polarized will affect the shot more or less based on how it is installed on the lens. The way I understand it there is not really an "up" side but you have to turn the filter to get the polarization effect you are looking for.

I just received my Cinema Series today and I was only able to test the ND filters for a couple of flights but so far I like them regarding fit, they have more of an edge that fits around the camera and just seems like they will be on there better than the Taco RC filters. The 4 times I started mine up so far I did not have any calibration errors. I will report back more as I use them but so far I would say they are slightly better than Taco RC filters.

Just tried my new PolarPro Cinema Vivid Series ND Filters in flight today.
Beforehand I practiced putting them on a couple of times to see how they fit. They fit well, snapping on and off.
I also tested putting them on at home and upon powering up the Mavic, the gimbal gave no error messages with the added ND filter.
I figured great, let's try it out for real now.

However, it became a whole different story in the field today...
I used the ND8 filter and made sure it was securely and uniformly attached to the camera.
But upon powering up the Mavic, I got a Gimbal Error message in DJI GO.
I restarted the Mavic several times to see what was happening.
Finally about the 3rd or 4th time starting up, I got to an initialization without having a DJI GO Gimbal Error message.
The Gimbal Error messages varied, to being:
Gimbal Overloaded, make sure the clamp is off.
Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Eventually I realized on the second or third startup, looking at the Mavic as it initialized and ended the startup with a gimbal error,
the camera would be left positioned at an odd, crooked angle.
My solution was to power off the Mavic, straighten the camera to a normal horizontal position and then restart the Mavic again.
Usually after doing this procedure the next startup would be without Gimbal Error messages and I would then fly with no problems.
This sequence happened the same way for two separate flights in different flight locations, using different batteries.
I confirmed the ND Filter was installed properly and uniformly, snapping on and off.
I have to assume the filter was catching on something during the startup sequence.
The only difference I can think of between being at home and in the field is the possibility
that at home the Mavic was completely level and maybe the field surface was not.
But these outdoor surfaces were not noticeably slanted, (one time on a flat boulder and the other from a concrete pad (with no rebar inside).
I've certainly taken off with the Mavic and Phantom 3 from much more uneven terrain.

While this is a disappointment, I will say I was pleased with the look of the video(s) using the ND filter.
However at this point I'm not sure what to do...
I'm thinking of returning them and trying out the new DJI filters or Taco at this point.
Getting a gimbal error message so frequently on startup is not workable.

Anyone else having issues, or have comments?

First time poster here - Thanks for taking a moment to make this statement. I am experiencing the same startup issues, with gimbal initialization getting stuck.

First time poster here - Thanks for taking a moment to make this statement. I am experiencing the same startup issues, with gimbal initialization getting stuck.
Do you have the Polar Pro Cinema Series (with the gold metal) or the original Polar Pro filters (black plastic)? Just want to be sure because the original filters must be put on after calibration. I have not seen any issues with mine but I have only started up a few times with them. How many times have you tried and did it ever work?

Reactions: sixthhour
Do you have the Polar Pro Cinema Series (with the gold metal) or the original Polar Pro filters (black plastic)? Just want to be sure because the original filters must be put on after calibration. I have not seen any issues with mine but I have only started up a few times with them. How many times have you tried and did it ever work?

I actually have both. The folks at Polar Pro was nice enough to give me a discount on the Cinema Vivid Series, which were received last Friday. I've tested with all three filters (Cinema Vivids). Repeating the same steps multiple times. The gimbal gets physically stuck in the same position (7 o'clock facing the drone), while initializing, until it works. I have to turn the battery off then manually re position the stuck gimbal--after approximatly 3 attempts the gimbal initialization works correctly. I continued testing after seeing the gimbal pass startup initialization. It worked each time after during testing...however, the problem resurfaced in the field. At first I thought the Mavic simply needed to adjust for the extra weight. Now, I'm not certain what is causing the issue. I will be reaching out to Polar Pro for a resolution.

Last edited:
I actually have both. The folks at Polar Pro was nice enough to give me a discount on the Cinema Vivid Series, which were received last Friday. I've tested with all three filters (Cinema Vivids). Repeating the same steps multiple times. The gimbal gets physically stuck in the same position (7 o'clock facing the drone), while initializing, until it works. I have to turn the battery off then manually re position the stuck gimbal--after approximatly 3 attempts the gimbal initialization works correctly. I continued testing after seeing the gimbal pass startup initialization. It worked each time after during testing...however, the problem resurfaced in the field. At first I thought the Mavic simply needed to adjust for the extra weight. Now, I'm not certain what is causing the issue. I will be reaching out to Polar Pro for a resolution.

Hmm, looks like when it makes that last turn it is getting caught on the gimbal, it is hard to tell by the video but can you see the filter touching the gimbal when it stops? Please let us know what Polar Pro says in case others start seeing the issue, I have not experienced it yet.

I received my Polar Pro Cinema Series Vivid collection last night. So far, no issues with the gimbal, it starts up normally and works fine. It's weird that it seems to vary from Mavic to Mavic on this.

A couple quick tips for you guys:
1. Push the filter on all they way, we individually test each on to make sure it fits correctly and calibrates.
2. The ND/PL's are slightly thicker so you need to make sure these are definitely pushed on all the way.
3. We have stress tested the Mavic gimbal to 6 grams of filter weight, the weight is not an issue.
4. The Glass is Multi-Coated

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!
-Jeff

Reactions: sixthhour
I received my Polar Pro Cinema Series Vivid collection last night. So far, no issues with the gimbal, it starts up normally and works fine. It's weird that it seems to vary from Mavic to Mavic on this.

These are Linear polarized filters. The light blocking changes depending on how they are rotated. Hold one up to your eye while looking at a computer screen. As you rotate it the image should change slightly and at some point it will blacken out completely. If everyone is just slapping these on at a random angle the effects will be vastly different. You need to put them on the drone and hold the drone with one hand and rotate the filter until it looks the way you want it to on your phone/tablet. If the filter is too tight then you can do it by eyeballing it while rotating the filter and then mark the 12 O-clock position and then put the lens on the drone with the marker up.

If these were properly made filters they should be able to rotate freely so that pre flight orientation is easy.

The other problem is that as you fly around the orientation may need adjusting. So they may only be good for a specific shot at a specific angle to the light.

Here's my Shutter Series install, initially they are tight and that's great, just make sure it is pressed on completely, while holding the camera/clamp stable with the other hand.

IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0917.JPG

1. Push the filter on all they way, we individually test each on to make sure it fits correctly and calibrates.
2. The ND/PL's are slightly thicker so you need to make sure these are definitely pushed on all the way.
3. We have stress tested the Mavic gimbal to 6 grams of filter weight, the weight is not an issue.

-Jeff

Thanks for the comment Jeff. I double-checked fit...also thinking it may have not been pushed all the way in. I'll try again and let you know. I'll see if it continues to hit the side plate.

-Jeff

Just curious, how many Mavic units did you test on? ;Regarding #3 ie. is weight not an issue for 9 out of 10 mavics...or all 10.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1