DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Cinema Series - UNBOXING and GIMBAL TEST

I got the Shutter Series coming, with the filter on do you change your video quality settings any, or leave them how you had them without a filter?

Just tried my new PolarPro Cinema Vivid Series ND Filters in flight today.
Beforehand I practiced putting them on a couple of times to see how they fit. They fit well, snapping on and off.
I also tested putting them on at home and upon powering up the Mavic, the gimbal gave no error messages with the added ND filter.
I figured great, let's try it out for real now.

However, it became a whole different story in the field today...
I used the ND8 filter and made sure it was securely and uniformly attached to the camera.
But upon powering up the Mavic, I got a Gimbal Error message in DJI GO.
I restarted the Mavic several times to see what was happening.
Finally about the 3rd or 4th time starting up, I got to an initialization without having a DJI GO Gimbal Error message.
The Gimbal Error messages varied, to being:
Gimbal Overloaded, make sure the clamp is off.
Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Eventually I realized on the second or third startup, looking at the Mavic as it initialized and ended the startup with a gimbal error,
the camera would be left positioned at an odd, crooked angle.
My solution was to power off the Mavic, straighten the camera to a normal horizontal position and then restart the Mavic again.
Usually after doing this procedure the next startup would be without Gimbal Error messages and I would then fly with no problems.
This sequence happened the same way for two separate flights in different flight locations, using different batteries.
I confirmed the ND Filter was installed properly and uniformly, snapping on and off.
I have to assume the filter was catching on something during the startup sequence.
The only difference I can think of between being at home and in the field is the possibility
that at home the Mavic was completely level and maybe the field surface was not.
But these outdoor surfaces were not noticeably slanted, (one time on a flat boulder and the other from a concrete pad (with no rebar inside).
I've certainly taken off with the Mavic and Phantom 3 from much more uneven terrain.

While this is a disappointment, I will say I was pleased with the look of the video(s) using the ND filter.
However at this point I'm not sure what to do...
I'm thinking of returning them and trying out the new DJI filters or Taco at this point.
Getting a gimbal error message so frequently on startup is not workable.

Anyone else having issues, or have comments?

Beforehand I practiced putting them on a couple of times to see how they fit. They fit well, snapping on and off.
I also tested putting them on at home and upon powering up the Mavic, the gimbal gave no error messages with the added ND filter.

I used the ND8 filter and made sure it was securely and uniformly attached to the camera.
Finally about the 3rd or 4th time starting up, I got to an initialization without having a DJI GO Gimbal Error message.
Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Eventually I realized on the second or third startup, looking at the Mavic as it initialized and ended the startup with a gimbal error,
My solution was to power off the Mavic, straighten the camera to a normal horizontal position and then restart the Mavic again.
Usually after doing this procedure the next startup would be without Gimbal Error messages and I would then fly with no problems.
This sequence happened the same way for two separate flights in different flight locations, using different batteries.
I confirmed the ND Filter was installed properly and uniformly, snapping on and off.
I have to assume the filter was catching on something during the startup sequence.
The only difference I can think of between being at home and in the field is the possibility
that at home the Mavic was completely level and maybe the field surface was not.
But these outdoor surfaces were not noticeably slanted, (one time on a flat boulder and the other from a concrete pad (with no rebar inside).
I've certainly taken off with the Mavic and Phantom 3 from much more uneven terrain.

While this is a disappointment, I will say I was pleased with the look of the video(s) using the ND filter.
I'm thinking of returning them and trying out the new DJI filters or Taco at this point.

I get mine any day now and will let you know how they work for me. When you were starting it and getting the gimbal errors were you watching the camera as it initialized and could you see it having any issues or catching on anything?

My quick review:

Pros
- They can be left on for gimabal init
- Light

Cons
- Overprized
- Terrible case to travel with
- Gold color not my taste
- Not multicoated

Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Get the TacoRC ND multicoated filters. They are lighter and havent got any issues so far. I returned my polar pros.

The Polar Pro website description states that the cinema ones are multicoated...fwiw.

Gimbal Limit reached.
Gimbal Obstructed.

Same thing happened here.
Now I'm powering Mavic without filters, waiting for the start up sequence and only then attaching it.
Really annoying.
And I'm having to attach very carefully because I don't know if it ok to touch the gimbal when it has power.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Strange that some (OP) have no problems and some do.
Could it be a weight thing?
I have the Taco RC's on order, hope this is not an issue with these.

Yesterday with the PolarPro Cinema Vivid Series ND filter installed, I did see the camera catching on something during the startup sequence
and the camera would end up in a unusual position, (not horizontal and not facing straight out).
Of course, I simultaneously got a Gimbal Error message in DJI GO.

Reactions: sixthhour
Mine should be delivered on Tuesday... however I did notice when looking at the specs, the PolarPro Cinema series is MUCH heavier than the TACO ND's. I wonder if this is why people are having problems: they weigh too much. I mean, I have to assume PolarPro tested these out before selling them?

IMG_0902.PNG TIMG_0903.PNG Gotta work before play so I haven't tested or installed them yet, but I ordered the non-polarizing PPro Cinema Shutter Series because they were a fraction lighter in weight than the Polarized ones...

Mine should be delivered on Tuesday... however I did notice when looking at the specs, the PolarPro Cinema series is MUCH heavier than the TACO ND's. I wonder if this is why people are having problems: they weigh too much. I mean, I have to assume PolarPro tested these out before selling them?

I would ask the same question about the original Polar Pro filters that will not work with the gimbal (without removing and replacing each flight). How did they get out the door that way? I have the Cinema Series on the way, if they don't work I'm getting a refund.

How do you guys choose which ND filter to use? I mean I have to fly up without a filter to figure out the exposure I get to filter, then come down to put on a filter. I've got TACO, but I still put em on a powered on drone after an initial recon lift off.

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

How do you guys choose which ND filter to use? I mean I have to fly up without a filter to figure out the exposure I get to filter, then come down to put on a filter.

You can get a fairly accurate EV reading from the Mavic on the ground. It may be a little different in the air, but it will constantly be changing as the camera faces different directions anyway, depending on the light. Your readings on the ground should be close enough.

Reactions: deltalimatango
You can get a fairly accurate EV reading from the Mavic on the ground. It may be a little different in the air, but it will constantly be changing as the camera faces different directions anyway, depending on the light. Your readings on the ground should be close enough.
Still, you turn it on before you choose the filter. Why there is so much attention to init sequence? I fly up to see a bigger picture and be a bit more accurate.

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

Still, you turn it on before you choose the filter. Why there is so much attention to init sequence? I fly up to see a bigger picture and be a bit more accurate.

Only if my initial guess is wrong. If the lighting conditions look like I'll need an ND16, I put that on before I leave the house. If after turning the Mavic on, I see that the EV is way off, I can swap the filter. But I feel much better about swapping the filter with the Mavic powered off.

Once you are familiar with the Mavic and how the camera shoots you should be able to tell by the light in the surroundings what stop filter you need if any.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98