DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re-use Mavic batteries for other drones

kresi

Reactions
Hi there,

I am wondering, if I could use my Mavic batteries for another drone project. I have seen the pinouts for charging the battery, but what about putting it into another frame?
On different chinese Websites I have seen the battery connector, so this should be working.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Kresi

I doubt it!

While the batteries, (the actual cells inside casing) w/o the electronics that handle the "protections", would have the ability to work just the same as any other 3-4s pack (3s=MP, 4s=M2) as far as voltage and current go.

The problem would be; those electronics, that handle those protections (charge balancing, over/under voltage, over-current & over-heating) are advanced as well as made proprietarily, meaning they have 2 way comms with your AC and the Go4 app, so its not likely going to play well with non-dji items. Once the Pack electronics realize its not recieving data from your AC, I doubt it will allow the power output you would need...

The only reason Im not 100% sure about this, is because the pack allows a 5v phone/device charger, using dji adapter. This makes me wonder slightly, but theres a big difference between 5v/2A and 16v/10A+

The only way to be sure is to connect it and try, but ask yourself is it worth it, as you may fry your Mavic Batt Pack?

To avoid other issues, avoid a max current draw of >15A AND make sure your pinouts match the pos & neg terminals exactly. (ie: dont run a single pos wire and a single neg wire. Connect to all the +/- terminals)
If not, that could be dangerous.
Best bet would be to use a DMM and check individual terminal voltage to determine which cells are which and where your main output leads are. If yiur not familisr with what Im talking about, then save yourself the hassle and find another option!)
(Note: The 15A rating I mentioned above is related to my experience with Mavic 2, it could be slightly more for the M1, since its a 3s, not 4s.

All in all, Id still RECOMMEND just buying a 3-4s pack, for FPV or RC hobbies, for 2 reasons: 1) If tests go badly, your not ruining a Mavic pack, which cost much more than the equivalent pack capacity 2) Would be easier to wire up, since those FPV packs usually have 2 larger guage (~10-12ga) wires for power distribution, and have a separate harness for balance charging.

However, I know a tinkerers mind so your gonna do what you want, just do it outdoors, in a field, away from fire hazards and be safe!

Good luck mate

Last edited:
Dear jzilla80
Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it and will listen to it. I was wondering for three reasons:
1. I saw already someone with this battery on a selfmade drone and thought: this should work
2. the energy densitiy is about 20% (at least what the internet sayst) better per cell than other packs.
3. The charging is with a smart battery like the one from DJI much more comfortable.

Thanks again and wish you a happy new year! :)

Dear jzilla80
Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it and will listen to it. I was wondering for three reasons:
1. I saw already someone with this battery on a selfmade drone and thought: this should work
2. the energy densitiy is about 20% (at least what the internet sayst) better per cell than other packs.
3. The charging is with a smart battery like the one from DJI much more comfortable.

Thanks again and wish you a happy new year! :)
Glad to try n help.

If youve seen someone have success doing this, then Id say, its worth trying, as long as precautions are taken. Let us know your results!

Happy New Decade :-()

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manu Gopinath