DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rogue Mavic

Karl2010

Reactions
Hey guys need some help please. I took my mavic on its maiden flight two days ago no problems. Yesterday though I took it out again and was flying in beginner mode. I took it up to flight altitude max and this is where it all started.

The drone swerved to the left and I thought it might be wind so I tried to bring it down. I had no control over it and it flew away I would say about 500 meters I tried the return to home and it said Atti mode all the time.

Eventually it just hovered in one place and I regained control and could bring it home safely. Now I’m to scared to take it up again. Any ideas on what this can be, what could be the cause.

The firmware is up to date
Calibration was done pre flight

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Reactions: SteveM
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I checked it out and here are some screen shots in the interim.
d2b019d2d7bb0c507591e5f645f28c88.jpg
8f90612beccb9af057a404858075d82f.jpg
19a534dd762c6baa1807b920e6f6a9e0.jpg
6e3f2815f30f2bba6f689c30b8cdf505.jpg

Reactions: charliesRig
Burnt or damaged gps/compass... Same exact symptoms as my mavic... 1 1/2 week old... 3 flights... I returned it to the store... No sense in trying & hoping... Cant have a $1000 drone just fly away...

Try a different cable also. Had the same drama yesterday and for 1st time flight. Scared the **** out of me. Came home. Calibrated compass and IMU. Used different cable from remote to phone. Charged Batteries and went back out. Had no problem just hesitation on how far to fly it.

Reactions: SteveM
Use the USB port on the bottom of your controller instead of the side port. As well as all other suggestions above.

Reactions: wsteele
Not extending the antennas could cause the Mavic to disconnect from the remote controller. If that happened though, the Mavic would have returned home instead of hovering in place (assuming you're using the default RTH signal lost setting in DJI GO).

Try a different cable also. Had the same drama yesterday and for 1st time flight. Scared the **** out of me. Came home. Calibrated compass and IMU. Used different cable from remote to phone. Charged Batteries and went back out. Had no problem just hesitation on how far to fly it.
First rule of troubleshooting is change one thing at a time.
I would submit that the calibrations fixed the issue - not the cable.
I see far too many posts blaming everything on the cable with tenuous reasons.

First rule of troubleshooting is change one thing at a time.
I would submit that the calibrations fixed the issue - not the cable.
I see far too many posts blaming everything on the cable with tenuous reasons.

Definitely - one variable at a time. And I agree that while the cable is a reasonable thing to swap as part of troubleshooting, it's rarely the problem. And in this case I'm not even sure that calibration was needed since the reported errors (IMU heading exception, compass error leading to a switch to ATTI mode) are all likely due to taking off in a magnetically distorted area, and the behavior described is consistent just with ATTI mode.

Reactions: wytnyt
Definitely - one variable at a time. And I agree that while the cable is a reasonable thing to swap as part of troubleshooting, it's rarely the problem. And in this case I'm not even sure that calibration was needed since the reported errors (IMU heading exception, compass error leading to a switch to ATTI mode) are all likely due to taking off in a magnetically distorted area, and the behavior described is consistent just with ATTI mode.

wouldnt pressing the pause button worked till he composed himself till he figured things out?

By any chance you take off on a metal table or close to metal? I tried to take off metal glass table one time and it went bugy!
Most likely reason is the glass had it fooled with the bottom sensors similar to water. But not because of the metal.
I made a test using a metal table with several high power magnets and the worst that happened was the orientation was off.

Most likely reason is the glass had it fooled with the bottom sensors similar to water. But not because of the metal.
I made a test using a metal table with several high power magnets and the worst that happened was the orientation was off.

Your observation about the orientation being off but no problems in flight is interesting. So it managed to remain in P-GPS mode with no compass errors? @BudWalker has noted that an orientation error before takeoff is a good indicator of magnetic interference, but that the Mavic FC appears to make more of an effort to resolve MagYaw errors and stay in P-GPS than the Phantom FC, although that can result in uncontrolled flight if a large magnetic issue persists.

Yup - took off, hovered, flew a block away, used RTH to bring it back and it landed on the table - pointed a different direction.
I had to bring it down by hand when it got a couple feet from the table top because the steel mesh confused it.

I had to bring it down by hand when it got a couple feet from the table top because the steel mesh confused it.
If I understand the description correctly this is surprising. The FC's value for Yaw is initialized with the magnetometer data shortly after batteryOn. After that Yaw is determined mostly by IMU data with the magnetometer data being used at low gain to correct any IMU errors. In your scenario the AC would have to hover close to the metal table for 10 to 15 secs in order for the Yaw to become compromised. Here is an incident where exactly that happened

Brutal crash, need help figure out what went wrong.

Any chance we could take a look at the .DAT for this flight?

I'll see if I can dig it up. I also made a video just never finished it.

Hey guy's
If you new to the Mavic Pro Drone game......

Please allow proper warm up before take off ensure you have at least 6 satilite signals before take off.
upon take off Fly Straight up 30ft.
................................... your controler will verbally tell you
"You have establish Home port setting"

Then Go ahead and Injoy your Mavic Pro
Never Fly your Mavic with Less then 30% battery
Always make sure your battery is properly seated in your mavic before start up
Never Pull Both joy sticks straight Down (CSC)

Set your RTH height to at least Higher then any buildings or tree's By your landing Area
.......................if you try to grab your mavic in flight you will notice Mavic pull away that is
Your advoidance sensors working
you want to hand catch Mavic you must trun off your downward sensor s Off (not recomended)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas