DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung S8 phone as bright as crystal sky at 1020 nits

S8 is 1020 nits for about 5 minutes until it overheats and drops to 400ish.
S8 is 1020 nits for about 5 minutes until it overheats and drops to 400ish....Please cite a reference to this behavior. I'm about to get my wife one...

I dunno about the 5 minute thing but I don't think it will even do 5 minutes continuously. There is a reason why they call it "peak brightness" of 1020 nits.

Furthermore, you cannot manually set the S8 to achieve that peak brightness. This is only available in the Adaptive setting and only when there is very high ambient light, like when the sun is hitting it directly.

EVEN SO, it is a beautiful display. The consensus is that the S8 has the best smartphone display today. Since Apple is getting the latest OLED from Samsung for the next iPhone, I suspect it will have the same panel on it.

You can set the display to max brightness through an app called Nova launcher which opens up a secret menu that enables you to access a setting called 'mode preview tablet'
If you do your home rather than throwing up comments like it will overheat in 5 mins your will discover that the SUPER AMOLED screen that it has runs loads cooler and uses less power that's why they will use this in almost all phones in the future.
Crystal sky uses an LED IPS panel (hotter,uses more battery)
Do your homework before putting half witted comments up.

Taken from AMOLED Tech site.

The major benefits from OLED type displays comes from the high level of control that can be exerted over each pixel. Pixels can be switched completely off, allowing for deep blacks and a high contrast ratio. Being able to dim and turn off individual pixels also saves on power. The lack of other layers on top of the LEDs means that the maximum amount of light reaches the display surface, resulting in brighter images with better viewing angles.
Energy efficiency is another advantage of AMOLED display. It is more energy efficiency than LED and LCD, as well as fluorescent lamps for numerous reasons. Because they emit light without generating too much heat, energy loss due to heat transfer is lesser.

An AMOLED display also does not require backlighting unlike LCD because each pixel of organic material generates light itself. Within the same display, power consumption is uneven, focusing mostly on active pixels as represented by on-screen image. Blacks do not consume power because the underlying pixels are actually turned off.

Thus, an AMOLED screen display consumes less power, making it more appropriate for use in portable consumer electronic devices in which battery life is of critical importance. Furthermore, because of this energy efficiency, eco-friendliness is another advantage of AMOLED over its counterparts.

The images produced by an AMOLED display are remarkable and incomparable due to its deep blacks and high contrast. This advantage is noticeable when compared to other LOCD display technologies such as in-plane switching display or IPS (DJI CRYSTAL SKY) or twisted nematic or TN display technologies.

Last edited:
S8 is 1020 nits for about 5 minutes until it overheats and drops to 400ish.

Just rang Samsung and they laughed at your comment and said "OH yeah we forgot to say in the manual you can't watch a movie in high brightness for longer than 5 minutes if your sitting on a beach relaxing"
Samsung phone Technical support
+44-330-726-7864

I dunno about the 5 minute thing but I don't think it will even do 5 minutes continuously. There is a reason why they call it "peak brightness" of 1020 nits.

Furthermore, you cannot manually set the S8 to achieve that peak brightness. This is only available in the Adaptive setting and only when there is very high ambient light, like when the sun is hitting it directly.

EVEN SO, it is a beautiful display. The consensus is that the S8 has the best smartphone display today. Since Apple is getting the latest OLED from Samsung for the next iPhone, I suspect it will have the same panel on it.

Fun fact the OLED tech that Apple will use is actually from a company called BASF. They designed the tech and Apple purchased it from them and will have Samsung mass produce it for Apple.

I have no idea if Samsung is using that same tech however.

The reason you're not getting full "peak brightness" for more than a short amount of time is it highly accelerates wear on the screen. It's meant to be able to have a glance at your screen when in full sunlight if you have to, but if you were running the GO app regularly with that mode constantly on you'd see the app icons burned into the screen after a couple of months.
LCD doesn't have wear issues.

Reactions: Jeffreyp
This would become an intellectual forum if people thought
I'm going to give my comments structure before I post.
The reason you're not getting full "peak brightness" for more than a short amount of time is it highly accelerates wear on the screen. It's meant to be able to have a glance at your screen when in full sunlight if you have to, but if you were running the GO app regularly with that mode constantly on you'd see the app icons burned into the screen after a couple of months.
LCD doesn't have wear issues.
And you know that for a fact? as in you have done full testing with samsung in their R&D.
And Samsung should state in the product info that:
1/ Don't use the Samsung S8 to sit in sunlight and write a 15-20 minute long emial/social media or other message.
2/ Don't use the Samsung S8 to watch any video longer than a few moments in sunlight.
3/ Don't use the Samsung S8 screen as a monitor while recording movies longer than a few moments while taking video of your friends or family.
Your comment is no doubt based on pure speculation.

Reactions: buttons276
I just spoke to Samsung technical support and they said the following.
The screen/phone uses an algorithm to move the pixels around so this prevents screen burn, the same technology is used in their TV'S which can be on for hours and hours at a time!!
Ring Samsung technical Support on 0330 726 7864 for confirmation or Samsung technical support in your country.
I read out some of the negative comments on here and the tech guy said "absolute rubbish"

I 've seen how Samsung OLED phones get screen burn-in after about 4 months in stores, yes.
They run all day at max "normal" brightness (not the temporary superbright) looping their demo video, and patterns from the video burn themselves in after that short time. The brighter you push an OLED screen the quicker it happens, basic property of that type of screen (and what took years to bring to an acceptable level, and led to OLED coming out on the market some 8 years after originally planned, was in an engineering team following OLED developments closely for some years).

And Samsung should state in the product info that:
They don't need to since the phone does it's job well enough so that you can't by automatically dropping out of that "peak brightness" after a few minutes... which was pointed out at the beginning of the thread.

I 've seen how Samsung OLED phones get screen burn-in after about 4 months in stores, yes.
They run all day at max "normal" brightness (not the temporary superbright) looping their demo video, and patterns from the video burn themselves in after that short time. The brighter you push an OLED screen the quicker it happens, basic property of that type of screen (and what took years to bring to an acceptable level, and led to OLED coming out on the market some 8 years after originally planned, was in an engineering team following OLED developments closely for some years).

They don't need to since the phone does it's job well enough so that you can't by automatically dropping out of that "peak brightness" after a few minutes... which was pointed out at the beginning of the thread.

I just spoke to Samsung technical support and they said the following.
The screen/phone uses an algorithm to move the pixels around so this prevents screen burn, the same technology is used in their TV'S which can be on for hours and hours at a time!!
Ring Samsung technical Support on 0330 726 7864 for confirmation or Samsung technical support in your country.
I read out some of the negative comments on here and the tech guy said "absolute rubbish"

End user tech support is never a reference for anything technical. The only thing they're there for is to tell you what you need to hear to make you buy the products with confidence - which may or may not actually be correct BTW.
It's people like me who tell people like them what people like you need to hear so you give us your money. Know enough about that stuff.

You do what you want, but don't advise other people on things you don't have advanced knowledge and understanding of and/or first hand experience.
Others here have advised about the caveats of your initial posts. Now if you want to continue advising people that an S8 is as bright as a Crytalsky go buy one and confirm that you can force the screen at full "peak brightness" for more than the max time it allows for, and validate that it doesn't have any long-term detrimental effects first. Failing that stick to "I think it could be", not "it is".

Last edited:
Reactions: Anuj and Nikon1
Funny! we were trying to prove in another thread about Titan batteries being usable in mavics.....all the naysayers and professor types posting algorithm/mathematical proof that it wouldn't work came out of the woodwork..... then in the end someone just got a titan battery and had a successful 45 minutes no heat issue flight that blew all the negative comments out the water.

Great! And that that's exactly what's expected, "I think something can work, it may not so principle of caution applies, if someone want to jump in and experiment please post your experiences."
Someone did take the plunge and confirmed it worked. Now do the same here and post the proof, we'll wait.

In the meantime the same principle of caution should apply, for now you could be causing people to waste their money on something that doesn't work the way you think it does. That's why people are barking at you - in addition to some of them having some actual experience with it, which disproves it from the get go.
Also for the record an S8 is more expensive than a Crystalsky.

Last edited:
Just rang Samsung and they laughed at your comment and said "OH yeah we forgot to say in the manual you can't watch a movie in high brightness for longer than 5 minutes if your sitting on a beach relaxing"
Samsung phone Technical support
+44-330-726-7864

I have 2 S8+ phones that I've tested with the Mavic. I wasn't speculating.

Reactions: Kilrah
End user tech support is never a reference for anything technical. The only thing they're there for is to tell you what you need to hear to make you buy the products with confidence.
It's people like me who tell people like them what people like you need to hear so you give us your money. Know enough about that stuff.

You do what you want, but don't advise other people on things you don't have advanced knowledge and understanding of and/or first hand experience.
Others here have advised about the caveats of your initial posts. Now if you want to continue advising people that an S8 is as bright as a Crytalsky go buy one and confirm that you can force the screen at full "peak brightness" for more than the max time it allows for, and validate that it doesn't have any long-term detrimental effects first. Failing that stick to "I think it could be", not "it is".
Your not listening

Samsung Say the very same technology is used in there TV'S! which will get hours and hours of use.
I recorded the phone call to Samsung so i can happy get a S8 knowing that if it did get screen burn i got proof they say it doesn't
I said "as bright" as a Crystal sky, 'it is' ......I've seen both and to be honest the crystal sky looked nowhere near as nice as the Samsung HDR display

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lorenzoborghi_