DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seniors; What aides have you come up with to help you enjoy flying more?

Screen visibility and interpretation was a challenge for me as I first got into flying, first my Phantom 2's and now my Mavics. I first used the multi-channel 5.8 GHz Flysight monitor for flying the P2+ with Zenmuse gimbals and GoPro Hero 3+ black cameras as well as my P2 Vision Plus birds. That helped and seemed the pinnacle for me at the time. I later bought an iPad 4 Mini for flying my first Mavic Pro. Even that wasn't enough for me so I bought an iPad Pro 10.25" which works great for my needs.

But after trying a couple of different tablet mounts for my controller I found that I needed a better way of managing a handful of antennas, display and the controller at once. I went for this camera tripod mounting system that frees up my controller which connects to the Titan Switch antenna package and iPad Pro display through a 10' long spiral wrapped cable bundle.

I have to acknowledge forum member sea157 for giving me the idea and tips!

mt-1.jpg mt-2.jpg mt-3.jpg mt-4.jpg mt-5.jpg mt-6.jpg

I can't think of a more suitable configuration that fills my needs for mapping, surveying, and pleasure flying my MP1.

Last edited:
I agree with Luke147. When all else has failed, codeine. I wouldn't use the whisky though while flying, but when you have tried all and you are at the wall, you are entitled to be pain free, or relatively. I can not think there is anything to lose, just get a good GP who will support you to the hilt. You deserve it brother.

Screen visibility and interpretation was a challenge for me as I first got into flying, first my Phantom 2's and now my Mavics. I first used the Flysight monitor in flying the P2's, and then bought an iPad 4 Mini for flying the Mavic Pro. Even that wasn't enough for me so I bought an iPad Pro 10.25" which works great for my needs.

But after trying a couple of different tablet mounts for my controller I found that I needed a better way of managing a handful of antennas, display and the controller at once. I went for this camera tripod mounting system that frees up my controller which connects to the Titan Switch antenna package and iPad Pro display through a 10' long spiral wrapped cable bundle.

I have to acknowledge forum member sea157 for giving me the idea and tips!

View attachment 59584 View attachment 59585 View attachment 59586 View attachment 59587 View attachment 59588 View attachment 59589

I can't think of a more suitable configuration that fills my needs for mapping, surveying, and pleasure flying my MP1.

Nice setup!

Reactions: Former Member
I am quadriplegic (unfortunate bicycle accident). I get around in a powered wheelchair, I have about 3% strength and use of one hand. I am 68.
I previously owned a phantom 4,, sold it because I was not strong enough to lift it. Flew a Mavic Pro 1 for a couple of years, now have a M2 pro.
With a little planning I am able to take my M2 pro out to an open area and fly. I have a 3d printer and have made a few accessories to help my setup.
1. table for my wheelchair
2. a mount for the RC and for my phone
3. a little gripper to change the battery
4. 3d printed stirrups for the controller to stick my fingers through because I cannot grip the sticks.
5. A few other things I forget right now!

Normally I fly by myself and have lots of fun. I always need to find an area 2 feet off the ground so I can take off and land. I cannot reach the ground from my chair to pick the drone up and my hands are too weak to use one of those picker/reacher sticks.

The most important thing to take with you is a good attitude and the knowledge that no one has the right to tell you that you cannot try!
I will send some picks of my set-up if anyone is interested.

have fun!

I use these:

DJI Inspire Strap

Got the above from Micro Center when they were blowing them out for $2.00 each. No neck tension at all, strictly shoulders and upper back. I use a iPad Mini 4 with a holder and a Hoodman, so the weight is distributed over non critical areas.

Freestyle Rocker

This is a lifesaver. The pistons allow the rocker to stay firmly on the ground, so you can't tip over. The beverage holder is, well, you know....... mandatory.

FT Aviator

Can't wait for this to arrive next month. With the arthritus in both thumbs any sense of precision control of my Mavic is a myth. This stick should eliminate that, so I'll know that it's me and my ability taking crappy video :p

Hopefully these items along with my DJI Goggles should allow me to continue flying for some time.

Of course if I really screw up I also use a Marco Polo tracker.

Jake

A nice big screen for these old eyes,lol
I am confined to a wheelchair (MS). I made a little table for my remote, covered the surface with shelf material to prevent slippage. My left hand is becoming more crippled all the time. And, I too am a senior and novice but learning. So when I become to tired,I just tilt my chair back and enjoy the ride. “We are never to old”'!!
Dan

Last edited:
They call them (the Golden Years)...I say, more like tarnished brass.

I tried the neck strap. Big mistake, it torqued ny neck so I purchased a shoulder strap type and it made a huge difference in comfort. I only use it when flying the Phantom 4 Pro though. The larger controller feels bulky and I have a better comfort level that I won’t inadvertently drop it. With the Mavic’s I just hold the controller. All in the way I set the balance on the mavmount. I also use an I Pad Pro 10.5 for better vision. Generally I launch and land on the roof of my car. It keeps me from having to hold the drone, bend down and set it on the ground while trying to also hold the controller. It also keeps it from sucking up dirt when taking off.

I’m sure the younger pilots who are reading this thread are shaking their head thinking we are probably hobbling with a walker while attempting to fly. I leave you with this thought. The body wears out way before the mind so use the mind as a tool for smarter work.
What shoulder strap did you buy? Sounds like something I need.

I use these:

DJI Inspire Strap

Got the above from Micro Center when they were blowing them out for $2.00 each. No neck tension at all, strictly shoulders and upper back. I use a iPad Mini 4 with a holder and a Hoodman, so the weight is distributed over non critical areas.

Freestyle Rocker

This is a lifesaver. The pistons allow the rocker to stay firmly on the ground, so you can't tip over. The beverage holder is, well, you know....... mandatory.

FT Aviator

Can't wait for this to arrive next month. With the arthritus in both thumbs any sense of precision control of my Mavic is a myth. This stick should eliminate that, so I'll know that it's me and my ability taking crappy video :p

Hopefully these items along with my DJI Goggles should allow me to continue flying for some time.

Of course if I really screw up I also use a Marco Polo tracker.

Jake
Thanks! Hadn’t thought of the strap or rocker, have the FT Aviator on order. Where do you get that rocker?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+