DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seniors; What aides have you come up with to help you enjoy flying more?

I never thought about it but they should make a drone for one handed pilots. It doesn't have to be fancy and it doesn't have to do aerobatics but how about just something for someone to fly who only has access to 1 arm or 1 hand.
I am confined to a wheelchair (MS). I made a little table for my remote, covered the surface with shelf material to prevent slippage. My left hand is becoming more crippled all the time. And, I too am a senior and novice but learning. So when I become to tired,I just tilt my chair back and enjoy the ride. “We are never to old”'!!
Dan

Power to you.
I am quadriplegic (unfortunate bicycle accident). I get around in a powered wheelchair, I have about 3% strength and use of one hand. I am 68.
I previously owned a phantom 4,, sold it because I was not strong enough to lift it. Flew a Mavic Pro 1 for a couple of years, now have a M2 pro.
With a little planning I am able to take my M2 pro out to an open area and fly. I have a 3d printer and have made a few accessories to help my setup.
1. table for my wheelchair
2. a mount for the RC and for my phone
3. a little gripper to change the battery
4. 3d printed stirrups for the controller to stick my fingers through because I cannot grip the sticks.
5. A few other things I forget right now!

Normally I fly by myself and have lots of fun. I always need to find an area 2 feet off the ground so I can take off and land. I cannot reach the ground from my chair to pick the drone up and my hands are too weak to use one of those picker/reacher sticks.

The most important thing to take with you is a good attitude and the knowledge that no one has the right to tell you that you cannot try!
I will send some picks of my set-up if anyone is interested.

have fun!

Cataract surgery is a completely different procedure. They actually suck the old cloudy lens out and replace it with a new plastic one. It's amazing (albeit unpleasant to think about). They can put in a regular lense or a multi-focal. The latter supposedly allows you to see far away and close-up, eliminating the need for reading glasses. I had the surgery on both eyes about eight years ago. I wanted multi-focal lenses, but the doctor said I was not a candidate because I had had radial keratotomy surgery (the forerunner to Lasik) to correct my nearsightedness almost 30 years ago. But after the surgery, I was amazed at how good my near and far vision both were. It has gone off a little since then, so I do have to use reading glasses. But my distance vision is still plenty good without glasses, although the eye doctor keeps trying to sell me some. What was amazing right after surgery on the first eye was the difference between it and the other one. Colors were vibrant and clear with the fixed eye, but still fuzzy and yellow through the "old" one. Yuck, how did I put up with that for so long?

Your story is essentially identical to mine. I am 83 , wore glasses form age 12, had radial keratotomy at 49, and cataract surgery at 73. Before RK I was 6 and 7 diopters myoptic. the 16 RK slices trashed my cornea for lasik or multi-focal inner ocular lens lens implants. My son-in-law did the cataract surgery with a week between. Being a scientist, I wanted to enjoy the new life experience, and opted for no anathesia. It was life changing. Like you say the colors are vibrant and the whites are WHITE. I am 20 right and 30 left, good enough for my pilots 3rd class medical. I tell anyone considering it, just do it, and enjoy that many more years of vastly improved eyesight.

Several times forgot to remove the lens cover protector which causes problems.. So I used an old credit card and cut a piece to fit the hinged piece of the protector and let it over hang where the battery goes. Used double sided tape. Can not put battery into the drone without removing the protector.1.jpg

I use a CRYSTALSKY MONITOR which is connected to the RC using the USB plug at the bottom of the remote controller. The smaller USB PORT on the top left corner of the remote is used for charging the remote. To make it easier to fit micro USB plug into the remote controller I purchased a TOPK 2.4A Magnetic Micro USB Cable , Upgraded Nylon Braided LED Indicator USB Charge Cable for Micro USB Phones. I leave the magnetic fitting 24/7 in the remote. When I need to charge the remote introduce the magnetic end of the cable and click it makes contact. Don't even have to make sure it is the right way round. When charged just pick up the remote and walk away. No need to unplug. plug.png

Last edited:
I never thought about it but they should make a drone for one handed pilots. It doesn't have to be fancy and it doesn't have to do aerobatics but how about just something for someone to fly who only has access to 1 arm or 1 hand.

This is me. I have use of my right arm only, but I make it work.

Well now let me show you my answer to the problem of visibility!

As others have mentioned, sometimes in bright sunshine it's not easy to see the screen and your Mavic (or other) at the same time.
So I devised a very practical wearable ground station which does the job perfectly for me. Allows me to see controller, screen and drone with best viewing angles - I can't fly without it now - tell me what you think!
I like it, I like it.

I admire you for not letting it get in your way. Have you come up with device to help you fly? Im too lazy to look back through th thread lol

I have paralysis of my left arm, and have little use of my left hand (albeit no feelings in it) , so I try to kneel or try to always sit so I can rest the controller on my lap.
I also customized the right side joystick to where I control forward/back - left/right turns. I only use the left joystick for up/down with my forefinger.

I have paralysis of my left arm, and have little use of my left hand (albeit no feelings in it) , so I try to kneel or try to always sit so I can rest the controller on my lap.
I also customized the right side joystick to where I control forward/back - left/right turns. I only use the left joystick for up/down with my forefinger.

Where theres a will, theres a way. Good for you!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum

By the way, have you seen that new fluidity stick? They are an approved vendor here. That might be right up your alley.

FT Aviator Drone Controller for DJI Drones by Fluidity Tech

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Thanks! Hadn’t thought of the strap or rocker, have the FT Aviator on order. Where do you get that rocker?
My rockers(2) came from a camping store called “REI”(I’m in North Jersey). The reason for 2 is I bought the first one for my wife who has a replaced knee and hip and can’t bend very well. After she got hers I wanted one, so 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf