DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seniors; What aides have you come up with to help you enjoy flying more?

Thats hilarious! I have Afib, so if I ever need a pacemaker, I will ask them to implant a Micro USB port under my arm so I can recharge it.
Ha, ha! You are actually not too far off the mark with your idea. Not sure if the "medics" have sussed out implanting a micro USB yet, though. A magnetic lightening port might be more suitable for an underarm location - gets a bit sweaty under there! ;)

However, implanted ports are quite a common feature - usually located somewhere up on one of the pec' muscles. Pacemakers can be switched "on/off" by placing a donut-type magnet on the skin above the PPM, as can monitoring and remote control occur to PPM and defibrillator devices. So maybe some form of micro access port might not be that far fetched.

Keep taking your anticoagulant medications regularly and digoxin - it might not be good timing to experience an episode of AF when testing the maximum altitude your UAV can achieve.:eek::oops:

Reactions: Former Member
Ha, ha! You are actually not too far off the mark with your idea. Not sure if the "medics" have sussed out implanting a micro USB yet, though. A magnetic lightening port might be more suitable for an underarm location - gets a bit sweaty under there! ;)

However, implanted ports are quite a common feature - usually located somewhere up on one of the pec' muscles. Pacemakers can be switched "on/off" by placing a donut-type magnet on the skin above the PPM, as can monitoring and remote control occur to PPM and defibrillator devices. So maybe some form of micro access port might not be that far fetched.

Keep taking your anticoagulant medications regularly and digoxin - it might not be good timing to experience an episode of AF when testing the maximum altitude your UAV can achieve.:eek::oops:

Amazing technology. We are living in a great age.

Yes an AF episode would not end well in that case. What usually worsens my condition is when a customer sends me a drone where he set the controller to mode 1 or mode 3 instead of mode 2. Im getting too old to get out of the way.

Reactions: TRuav
Amazing technology. We are living in a great age.

Yes an AF episode would not end well in that case. What usually worsens my condition is when a customer sends me a drone where he set the controller to mode 1 or mode 3 instead of mode 2. Im getting too old to get out of the way.
Can sympathise.
Might be a situation where a defib' device with a "boost" button could work well to improve our age impaired reaction times. Adrenaline alone doesn't seem to provide that same "zing" it one used to! Thumbswayup

Can sympathise.
Might be a situation where a defib' device with a "boost" button could work well to improve our age impaired reaction times. Adrenaline alone doesn't seem to provide that same "zing" it one used to! Thumbswayup

Great idea! How about a DJI pacemaker? Do not read any further if you are under 60!

3 modes, just like the Mavic.

Pee mode - converts a dribble into a jet stream. (remember to never pass a bathroom)

Sport mode - increases heart rate to meet the occasion, monitors blood pressure during intercourse, and decreases heart rate afterward to help induce relaxation. Caution: this mode turns off sensors so can be hazardous to your health if used too frequently.

Tripod mode - for the well endowed who need the extra blood flow to the important parts

Im a senior citizen, and my body has limitations due to age and a few motorcycle and skiing accidents from back when I was young and dumb. Now that Im a senior, my body remembers every mogul on a ski slope that I jumped and wiped out on, and every dirt mound I misjudged on my Enduro. Since Im not as limber as I once was, I have come up with devices to help me enjoy flying more.

Some of my helpful accessories are:
  1. 3' long grabber to help me pick things up off the ground
  2. Controller device extender to bring my Galaxy S9+ closer to my eyes
  3. Reading glasses that focus on 12" in front of my nose so that I can see the S9+
  4. Vaseline on my arms, legs and feet during those cold days when 18 minutes of flying feels like hours
  5. Controller mittens to keep my hands out of the elements
There are many more and I will add them as I remember them.

What have you come up with?
Great idea! How about a DJI pacemaker? Do not read any further if you are under 60!

3 modes, just like the Mavic.

Pee mode - converts a dribble into a jet stream. (remember to never pass a bathroom)

Sport mode - increases heart rate to meet the occasion, monitors blood pressure during intercourse, and decreases heart rate afterward to help induce relaxation. Caution: this mode turns off sensors so can be hazardous to your health if used too frequently.

Tripod mode - for the well endowed who need the extra blood flow to the important parts
See what dizzy heights can be reached when you over 60+!
Who amongst us "older" UAV pilots needs to break CAA/FAA regs', when our imagination can take us to almost unthinkable heights - and so far I don't think any government has been able to write a law making "imagination" illegal.
Maybe there could be one other option programmed into the thumb stick on the right hand side of the RC screen; a sport mode 'O' position. When the celestial angels begin calling, as all sensors (bodily ones, that is) begin to fully shut down and the last vestige of breath is leaving your body, you can gently press this button to be left with a smile on the dial and a thumb on the joystick - not those found on the RC though - :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Keep thinking. There could be a Nobel Prize in this one! :cool:

I sit on my tailgate with the hatch up to block the sun, a cane to help me walk to pick up the drones, readers to see the screen. Im looking for a higher folding chair. Like someone said those low ones are a PITA to get up out off:rolleyes:

I had cataract surgery on both eyes so now I have 20/20 vision (again)!
My surgeon said 'best guess' would be covered by insurance and I'd probably still need glasses or perfect 20/20 would be $3,000 extra not covered by insurance. Needless to say, I wear glasses.

Sorry if my last post #44 was rude or offensive to anyone. Sometimes I think something is funny, and Im the only one laughing.
I had to go back and re-read it to see if I missed something, nope nothing rude or offensive there. I thought it was funny. Then again, I'm weird.

Was it like lasik?
Cataract surgery is a completely different procedure. They actually suck the old cloudy lens out and replace it with a new plastic one. It's amazing (albeit unpleasant to think about). They can put in a regular lense or a multi-focal. The latter supposedly allows you to see far away and close-up, eliminating the need for reading glasses. I had the surgery on both eyes about eight years ago. I wanted multi-focal lenses, but the doctor said I was not a candidate because I had had radial keratotomy surgery (the forerunner to Lasik) to correct my nearsightedness almost 30 years ago. But after the surgery, I was amazed at how good my near and far vision both were. It has gone off a little since then, so I do have to use reading glasses. But my distance vision is still plenty good without glasses, although the eye doctor keeps trying to sell me some. What was amazing right after surgery on the first eye was the difference between it and the other one. Colors were vibrant and clear with the fixed eye, but still fuzzy and yellow through the "old" one. Yuck, how did I put up with that for so long?

Last edited:
Where I am, we have hot, burning tropical sunshine all year round and most times when I fly, it is very hot. I've come to be sensitive about sunburn and possible skin cancer as I have become older so I now have long sleeves or those add on sleeves golfers wear, all with claims of SPF protection. I also use creams and sprays to protect the skin. I never ever used creams in my life and it's only in recent months that I started.

I also wear a big hat like the one Texans wear but that's more to shade the tablet screen which is not bright enough. And I too have vision deficiency so I need a big screen whereas my younger friends are fine with their iPhone or other smartphones.

Im a senior citizen, and my body has limitations due to age and a few motorcycle and skiing accidents from back when I was young and dumb. Now that Im a senior, my body remembers every mogul on a ski slope that I jumped and wiped out on, and every dirt mound I misjudged on my Enduro. Since Im not as limber as I once was, I have come up with devices to help me enjoy flying more.

Some of my helpful accessories are:
  1. 3' long grabber to help me pick things up off the ground
  2. Controller device extender to bring my Galaxy S9+ closer to my eyes
  3. Reading glasses that focus on 12" in front of my nose so that I can see the S9+
  4. Vaseline on my arms, legs and feet during those cold days when 18 minutes of flying feels like hours
  5. Controller mittens to keep my hands out of the elements
There are many more and I will add them as I remember them.

What have you come up with to help you?
I'm a 74 year youngster. I fly P4P and m2 pro. In addition to your list, I would add:

1 Learn to hand launch and hand catch (harder to stoop down now) OR take a card table to launch from/land on. Precision landing is your friend!

2. In cold weather, order some hand warmers on Amazon.

3. Fly only in places where you can pee as required. Other than that, Depends.

4. HAVE FUN!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair