DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions for Moverio engineers? Magnetic port for attaching wire. No hardwired tether, fail point

snuloo

Reactions
Okay so i've been a fan of head mounted displays for about 15 years now. One thing ive noticed with similar goggles is the tethering wire. I've had a few models of Vuzix goggles, Headplay, some brands that dont exist anymore. Their main crutch or fail point was their main tethering wire. I would use a headset till it was worn down to the bone. The wire no matter the positioning on the goggles would ALWAYS fail after about 2-3 years.

So I propose making a sort of magnetic cut away cord. Similar to the designs on the macbook. Though not exactly because they are heavily patented. There is a design on amazon and if you google "Magnetic cable connector micro usb" you will see what I am talking about. How about it Moverio team? Can you please implement something like this for your future designs? it would totally eliminate cable failures by like 90 percent at least. Now the cable failure usually isnt the actual port itself. Rather the wire just behind the entry point is the area to fail. Then you say why bother? The mag clip takes the brunt of the force or momentum of the cord. Still could get a cable failure but then u could simply just throw the cord away and mag clip a new one on without having to re-solder or re-ball the micro solder joints on sophisticated ports which of coarse requires expensive tools.

Just a thought. Epson please do this. I would be so happy. Also if you are thinking why not just buy mag clips on amazon and clamp them on your usb cords? I am not talking about the usb male to female connections. I am talking about the exit point that the wire travels out of on the actual glasses themselves. Its a vulnerable fail point on every goggles ive ever had. Put a mag clip on there (no not a port please, a magnetic clip yes!!) and it would be golden Epson!!!! thx

Also mine hasn't failed but it will i guarantee it! Again i give it 2-3 years till that spot wears out.

Attachments

• failure point.jpg
    failure point.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Nash and MacIak
Okay so i've been a fan of head mounted displays for about 15 years now. One thing ive noticed with similar goggles is the tethering wire. I've had a few models of Vuzix goggles, Headplay, some brands that dont exist anymore. Their main crutch or fail point was their main tethering wire. I would use a headset till it was worn down to the bone. The wire no matter the positioning on the goggles would ALWAYS fail after about 2-3 years.

So I propose making a sort of magnetic cut away cord. Similar to the designs on the macbook. Though not exactly because they are heavily patented. There is a design on amazon and if you google "Magnetic cable connector micro usb" you will see what I am talking about. How about it Moverio team? Can you please implement something like this for your future designs? it would totally eliminate cable failures by like 90 percent at least. Now the cable failure usually isnt the actual port itself. Rather the wire just behind the entry point is the area to fail. Then you say why bother? The mag clip takes the brunt of the force or momentum of the cord. Still could get a cable failure but then u could simply just throw the cord away and mag clip a new one on without having to re-solder or re-ball the micro solder joints on sophisticated ports which of coarse requires expensive tools.

Just a thought. Epson please do this. I would be so happy. Also if you are thinking why not just buy mag clips on amazon and clamp them on your usb cords? I am not talking about the usb male to female connections. I am talking about the exit point that the wire travels out of on the actual glasses themselves. Its a vulnerable fail point on every goggles ive ever had. Put a mag clip on there (no not a port please, a magnetic clip yes!!) and it would be golden Epson!!!! thx

Also mine hasn't failed but it will i guarantee it! Again i give it 2-3 years till that spot wears out.

The other side of the cable is an issue as well, where it connects to the input unit. Mine fails already. Got one unit replaced already in the past (by Amazon, Epson CS is worthless). That one had indeed the glasses side failing (within 1 month!). In fact it was twisted out of the box and I always pamper these units.

Reactions: snuloo and Ken Nash
The magnetic thing would be great on many devices in our lives, but hasn't been implemented for a reason: it's patented by Apple.

Reactions: snuloo and Ken Nash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji