DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips on safely hand launching and catching your Mavic Pro

jontracey

Reactions
Hey everyone, back with another how to for new pilots out there. While learning to hand launch and catch I have a couple of tips that may help you avoid losing a finger tip (or worse)

If you have other methods to do this safely please leave in the comments on the video, love to get your feedback.

If you don't want to fight with it and/or worry about it slipping out of your hand when catching it, disable the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO before taking off (or at least before landing).

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

I get mine just close then (with landing protection off) press auto land on DJI GO 4 so it lands easily into my outstretched hand/fingers as indicated in your video. Once caught the blades stop automatically.

I get mine just close then (with landing protection off) press auto land on DJI GO 4 so it lands easily into my outstretched hand/fingers as indicated in your video. Once caught the blades stop automatically.

Yeah I try not to turn off the landing protection as I always forget to turn in on again afterwards

It isn't, quite the opposite. It's one of those things that may help one time out of 10, but will cause trouble the other 9.

Reactions: gavcuk
I turn off VPS for hand catching, and that stops the Mavic from fighting me. Does just turning off Landing Protection have the same effect? I'd prefer that.

I think it's dangerous to initiate the landing before grabbing, as some people have suggested. There is no need to take that small risk of a fumble. I think it's safer to grab it first, then push the stick down to make the drone think it is landing.

Last edited:
Definitely an amazing skill to learn. I rarely launch/land my Mavic on the ground anymore.

What I do for easy landing (just a suggestion):
1. Bring the Mavic down to shoulder height.
2. Slide outstretched hand under Mavic, palm upward. LP sensors will detect in 1-2 seconds and Mavic will fly up a feet.
3. Keep the hand there and keep pulling down on the stick. The Mavic will realize you want it to land on your hand and descend.
4. Once it's in your hand, grasp firmly while it shuts off. Release stick.

This way, I keep the LP on and the Mavic doesn't try to fly away.
Try at your own risk :)

I normally do it with the Mavic to my right. My outstretched arm is usually angled upwards (so it's slightly above head level) so that my hand is out of rotor range. I haven't tried it with the Mavic facing away, though it would probably work also.

I haven't had any "incidents" yet, and it seems relatively reliable...but try at your own risk!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The front sensor doesn't pick me up.

So I'm standing facing forward. I bring the Mavic down to my right facing forward also. Then, I stick out my right arm upwards underneath the Mavic.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have never found it difficult to catch the drone in hand without disabling safety features.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian