DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Thailand

nick007

Reactions
Hey guys.
Well last night I finally grew a pair and purchased my round trip flight from Kansas City, Mo to Bangkok, Thailand. I will be routing through S Korea on my way.As far as I know I will be able to bring my Mavic 2 batteries with me, but i must have them in my carry on. Has anyone on here had any experience in dealing with the airlines and/or customs personnel in regards to traveling internationally with your suas? Are there any countries where customs might act suspiciously towards you because you have a drone with you?

Have you researched the legal rules involving flying in Thailand? They are significantly more strict there in regards to drones. For example, I believe you need to obtain Thai permits and local insurance to be allowed to fly there.

Reactions: nick007
Recommend LIPO bags for all batteries. Here’s a link to drone regs by state and country. It has the contact info for each. Hope this reference will at least get you started. Get going on it as the wheels often move slowly.

• Love
Recommend LIPO bags for all batteries. Here’s a link to drone regs by state and country. It has the contact info for each. Hope this reference will at least get you started. Get going on it as the wheels often move slowly.

This is a better link to Thailand info. UAVCoach seems to leave out a lot of details.

• Love
Have you researched the legal rules involving flying in Thailand? They are significantly more strict there in regards to drones. For example, I believe you need to obtain Thai permits and local insurance to be allowed to fly there.
I have not but I absolutely will, thank you for mentioning it. I love this forum because it's almost like using a hive mind in order to figure out the solution to a problem

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
That appears to be exactly what I'm needing to look at. I have 2 months before I depart so I need to get going

Do take a look at the site posted by dawgpilot above also. But proceed expeditiously with contacting them.
It seems like they want you to pay them to get your permit for you. Seems a bit suspicious especially since they also are demanding a photocopy of your passport. Do you know anybody who has traveled to Thailand with an suas in recent years?

Do take a look at the site posted by dawgpilot above also. But proceed expeditiously with contacting them.
[/QUOTES

It would appear I'm going to be able to obtain a permit from a local police station when I get there, but I definitely still will need to do a thorough amount of research before going if I don't want to get drone jacked by customs. This is what it says in regards to permits on one site,"If you will be going to Thailand soon (in a few days or weeks), you can bring your drone with you and take it to a police station to obtain the permit once you arrive in Thailand"

If you will be changing planes be sure to check out South Korea also.
Looking forward to some pics on your return.

If you will be changing planes be sure to check out South Korea also.
Looking forward to some pics on your return.
Do you think I will need to register the thing in S Korea as well even if I'm just connecting through there? I'll be sure to get some fantastic footage while I'm there and I've even got some filters on the way from Amazon. It seems like it's a common theme in youtube travel videos now for individuals to employ the use of aerial photography in travel guide videos

Hey guys.
Well last night I finally grew a pair and purchased my round trip flight from Kansas City, Mo to Bangkok, Thailand. I will be routing through S Korea on my way.As far as I know I will be able to bring my Mavic 2 batteries with me, but i must have them in my carry on. Has anyone on here had any experience in dealing with the airlines and/or customs personnel in regards to traveling internationally with your suas? Are there any countries where customs might act suspiciously towards you because you have a drone with you?
Alright - I am going to answer your question(s) as best as I can, but this is all recent information regarding a drone in thailand. I just returned about 2 weeks ago from spending time in Thailand as well as Cambodia so everything I am saying is based on what I have personally done. First off, you will have ZERO issues flying with the drone or going through customs. I flew into China for a layover and had no issues there, but I would recommend a LIPO bag off Amazon to carry all your batteries in, for one. It is not necessarily a requirement, per se, but having your batteries in a LIPO bag makes airlines happier about carrying 3+ Lithium Ion batteries. I just put the drone (in its case) in a tray with my phone, laptop, and DSLR camera as I would any regular electronics. As far as getting a permit or insurance to fly there, I did NOT get either. Now, my drones were registered with the FAA and had the necessary stickers for that, I did not get anything extra for international use. However, I would just be smart about where you fly - like Lumpini Park in downtown Bangkok, dont fly there, if caught, your drone will be confiscated and you will most likely pay a fine. I managed to get some footage of Bangkok by flying my drone off the balcony of my AirBnB and just made it quick, got my shots/footage, and brought it back down. Also, when in Phuket, I got to the big Buddha statue for sunrise, i used google translate to ask the security guard if I could fly my drone, he had no issues with it. Same with Koh Phi Phi Island and Phi Phi Lee. I flew it, but I just made sure I was very careful about not crashing it into anyone and not invading anyone's privacy (or making them feel I was). But overall, I had no issues flying around Thailand, but if it is at a temple or sacred site, I would either A) not fly there, or B) ask security and get there early. Most temples like Wat Pho in Bangkok, you are def not gonna fly there, but you might be able to get some aerial shots from outside the temple grounds, but again, be careful flying around temples. You shouldn't have any issues there. Again, this is purely anecdotal and based off my personal experience, but it is relevant and recent so I hope that helps. If you have any questions about Thailand or where to eat in what cities, I can definitely recommend some good spots. Last thing - I didnt stay long in Bangkok because I heard it wasn't worth staying more than a couple days - WRONG. 4 days in bangkok (1 to adjust to the time, 3 to explore) is 100% worth it. The street food alone can keep you busy for 3-4 days and its insanely cheap. Hope you have fun! Thailand is an amazing place. Cheers.

I fly to Bangkok in 6 days and have my 19 day stay in Thailand planed out. Awaiting my drone registration acceptance. Sorry you cannot fly under any circumstances within Bangkok, it’s a 19-kilometre radius. If you get caught it will be heavy duty. Jail and big fine. I take a lot of risks but would not do that one.
Richard Barrow in Thailand
How to register your drone in Thailand
To fly anywhere in Thailand you need to register your drone which is very difficult to do unless you live there or you have been within the last year and have a tourist or any entry visa in your passport, then you can employ an agent, as I have done, and they will guide you through the complex process.
Two or so years ago it was amazing to fly in Thailand no problems at all. Now they make it very difficult to do so legally. You can still risk it as long as you are away from people. Many do this and not encountered issues. This will be my 20th, about, trip.
There have been no issues, to date, of bringing a drone into Thailand with or without registration.
Airports don’t seem to know or care how you carry your batteries as long as you do not put them in the hold. So, carry on only. I put mine in plastic food bags. I have 4 Phantom and 3 Mavic 2. As long as the connectors are covered but again, airport staff only seem to know you have to have them carry on.
After you arrive, whatever you do, always carry about 1 or 2,000 Thai baht to help in difficult situations.
Then, have a ball, Thailand is an amazing place to take a holiday.

Last edited:
Hi guys, well I did the right thing and got my NBTC registration and applied for the CAAT registration at Xmas as well, I'm still waiting authorisation from CAAT. I have load about £150 so far in registration. I flew out at sea on a dive trip around the Simlan islands with no problems, then I got to Patong...I was told I could not fly and to go to the police station, this I did and boy was I met with aggression from the police, right from the word drone! Very hostile, I was told I needed to write a letter to the Patong police commissioner and when I showed my public liability insurance along with all the other certificates of drone flying, tests...every bloody thing to the reprobate of an officer and asked it I could see the commissioner, well...he went mental! I left very annoyed that I had done everything I could do legally yet I was treated like this, so it was a case of screw you and I flew, early in the morning and being some trees so that no one could see me, short sharp to the point flights then back packed and away. A few taxis to scenery locations with less people. Shame that being legal and doing the right thing does not pay off! In Vietnam now and as yet I'm in Ho Chi Mihn with no problems, did the Mekong River flights with no problems, I want to fly temples or monuments but I will not as I respect it's a place of worship even though I am not religious I just do not think it is right, us drone pilots need to respect that. Hope this helps some of you guys.

You can pay and do the legal thing to get registered for Thailand with NBTC & CAAT, but it doesn't guarantee you will be able to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007