DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Virtual Litchi Mission

Hello,
why I'm constantly getting this error:

8:25:11 PM Error getting elevation data from Google Earth
8:25:11 PM The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
8:25:11 PM Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth
8:25:11 PM Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference

Well done for getting to the bottom of the problem - I would never have thought of that!!

And if you ever get to understand what is causing the occasional corruption of the cache files then please let me know!

And thanks for the hat tip!

N
Goodness. I'm back, again with the same problem. VLM startup chime sounds, and it says that VLM is running, and there are 3 CefSharp.BrowserSubProcess processes running. But the VLM window does not open. I can CTRL-click VLM and it *says* it is successfully reset to initial conditions. And I tried my earlier folder-click options that once seemed to work. This time, no joy. VLM seems to be running. But I simply cannot get the VLM window to appear. Yes, it HAD been working fine for weeks. I so wish I could get it to work again!

> Q) VLM does not start properly – startup sound and splash screen and then nothing!
> A) Restart VLM while pressing CTRL and you will be given the option to reset VLM to initial conditions

I know I had this problem before. VLM *was* running fine. But now I have the problem as described. VLM's startup sound chimes, but I only see an active VLM taskbar icon with a hover box (attached) indicating VLM is running - no window visible. Yes, I can successfully reset VLM to initial conditions (see attached). But it doesn't solve the problem. I uninstalled/re-installed 2.5.0. Still no joy. Would so like to get this working once again, it is such a helpful program!

Attachments

• VLM reset to initial conditions.png
    VLM reset to initial conditions.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 7
  • VLM open box.png
    VLM open box.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I remember this issue, too. I think it was something that happened if I'd closed Windows with VLM minimised.

Probably, like I seem to recall, using Alt+Tab lets you select VLM ... but still nothing shows.

OK. My poor aging brain thinks that what I did was ...
- use Alt+Tab to select VLM
- then, access the window menu (what you see when you left-click on the icon at the top left of most windows) using Alt+Spacebar, and then press "x" to Maximise the window.

1623743838993.png

Hope that works .... or at least helps you on the way.

Reactions: Prismatic
I remember this issue, too. I think it was something that happened if I'd closed Windows with VLM minimised.

Probably, like I seem to recall, using Alt+Tab lets you select VLM ... but still nothing shows.

OK. My poor aging brain thinks that what I did was ...
- use Alt+Tab to select VLM
- then, access the window menu (what you see when you left-click on the icon at the top left of most windows) using Alt+Spacebar, and then press "x" to Maximise the window.

View attachment 130723

Hope that works .... or at least helps you on the way.
Wow!!! You're right! I had selected that menu before but always thought that "Restore" was what I would have selected but that it was grayed out (as in your image). My poor apparently even more aging brain simply never thought to click the "Maximise". Wonderful! A simple and elegant fix or at least work-around! Thank you Good Sir!!

How to "Export as CSV" the wyapoint CSV file without launching google earth but save the CSV file in a directory on VLM 2.5.0. The LM version on browser will save it as a download file - thats what i like to save as and not launch Google earth PRo
Thanks

Last edited:
Since today I get the following message in the activity log when I export to csv.

15:14:12 Google Elevation API returned error
15:14:12 REQUEST_DENIED - You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud Project at Google Cloud Platform Learn more at Getting started with Google Maps Platform | Google Developers
15:14:12 Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth
15:14:12 Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference

Do I need a google registration?

Since today I get the following message in the activity log when I export to csv.

15:14:12 Google Elevation API returned error
15:14:12 REQUEST_DENIED - You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud Project at Google Cloud Platform Learn more at Getting started with Google Maps Platform | Google Developers
15:14:12 Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth
15:14:12 Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference

Do I need a google registration?
Pretty sure it was mentioned waaaaay back that you may need to get your own Google API key if his bandwidth exceeds the free amount.

Reactions: MarkusAtHome
Hi Markus,

As Brojon pointed out, VLM uses my private billing account at Google.

In order to make sure I do not receive any unwanted bills from Google I have put a limit of 1000 hits per day on VLM to ensure we stay within the daily free amount. Normally this works OK - occasionally we run over then limit but not often.

In this case however, there was a different reason! My Visa card expired at the end of October and I had not updated the billing details with Google - sorry for that. I think they normally send me a reminder - but not this time....

It seems to be working again now.

Thanks

N

I've been using VLM & Google Earth for several months now to test missions. Suddenly today, when I export as CSV from VLM, the Google Earth app opens but the mission does not show up in my "temporary places" folder as it is supposed to. Can't find it anywhere. I feel like this is a quick fix but cannot find it. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I've been using VLM & Google Earth for several months now to test missions. Suddenly today, when I export as CSV from VLM, the Google Earth app opens but the mission does not show up in my "temporary places" folder as it is supposed to. Can't find it anywhere. I feel like this is a quick fix but cannot find it. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
I've not used VLM in quite some while - but everything worked fine for me, Google Earth opening with the mission in "Temporary Places".

Download latest version here :
Virtual Litchi Mission V2.5.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VLM Frequently Asked Questions

Problems Getting Started

Q) VLM does not start properly – startup sound and splash screen and then nothing!
A) Restart VLM while pressing CTRL and you will be given the option to reset VLM to initial conditions

Q) The Litchi Mission Hub panel in VLM is shifted from its expected location?
A) Try running in compatibility mode by right clicking on the VLM icon and choose

Compatibility tab -> Change High DPI Settings -> High DPI Scaling Override.

Q) VLM runs but Google Earth does not open?
A) Check that Google Earth Pro is properly installed and that kml files are properly associated with Google Earth. You can check this by double clicking on a kml file and confirming that Google Earth opens.

Q) VLM crashes on startup complaining about 'CefSharp.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies.
A) Check that the following are properly installed on your system:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6

Q) Can I run VLM on a Mac?
A) VLM is a windows only application. You have two options to run on a Mac or Linux machine

1) Apparently VLM runs well in a Virtual Machine such as Parallels​
2) User Bazuchan has implemented a version of VLM which runs as an extension to the browser. Yet another Virtual Litchi Mission (Google Chrome Extension)
Q) I get a message about my quota being exceeded - what's up?
A) VLM uses the Google Elevation API to get its elevation information using an API key which is shared between all users. If usage of this key exceeds a certain daily limit then you will need to either wait until the next day when the quota is reset - or else get your own key from Google. You can open an account with Google at https://console. cloud.google.coms. Google will require you to enter your credit card details but unless your usage of VLM exceeds 40,000 hits in a month you should not be charged anything. You can enter your own API key into VLM in the Google Tab of VLM Settings.

Problems with the Virtual Mission

Q) The elevations of my virtual mission look wrong
A) Check the following:
1) The exaggeration factor in Google Earth should be set to 1.0​
2) Check that Litchi Mission Hub, VLM and GE are all using either Imperial or Metric units – do not mix them.​
3) Check that the VLM Home Point Reference Altitude is appropriate for your mission. If you are unsure then use the default setting of WP1 and put the first WP of your mission directly above the Home Point (Take Off Point)​
4) If there are still small elevation differences then compare the elevation of the Home Point in both Google Earth and Google Maps (ie Litchi). If they are significantly different then set the VLM HP altitude to the elevation measured by Google Earth.​

Q) The VLM Mission is a poor match with the real mission
A) Check the following:
1) Check that you have specified a heading and gimbal angle for every waypoint of your mission. If any of these values are undefined you will see an orange warning in the VLM Activity Log.​
2) Check that your mission does not exceed the capabilities of your drone. Any such issues will be highlighted in orange in the VLM Activity Log and should be addressed.​
3) Check that the Google Earth viewing window is set to 16:9 to match your camera settings.​
4) Check that the drone type is set correctly in VLM and that the FOV setting is correct.​
5) Check that the VLM Cruising speed matches the setting in the Litchi Mission Hub.​
6) If the VLM mission is jerky then try increasing the number of smoothing points.​

If you still have questions or problems then please ask in this thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post dated 26/12/2017:

In this thread started almost a year ago - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-hard-would-it-be-to-simulate-litchi-missions-in-google-earth.7864, user “torqum” introduced the intriguing idea ‘flying’ a Litchi mission virtually in Google Earth to see how it looks from the perspective specified in Litchi. It was a very appealing concept – to fly a mission anywhere in the world without getting out of your armchair!

In that thread, user "JTS" submitted a conversion program which apparently worked for some folks but not for others – and not for me so I decided to write my own.

The utility is called Virtual Litchi Mission (VLM) – it is a standalone executable and does not need any installation. It runs on my Win10 x64 machine but should run on x86 machines as well. On older versions of windows your mileage may vary…..

VLM sets a watch on a user specified Downloads folder and will automatically read any csv file created in this folder. When Litchi Mission Hub writes a csv file to this folder, VLM will convert it to a “Tour” in Google Earth including the complete camera orientation and gimbal settings which were specified in Litchi.

The resulting Virtual Mission can then be flown in Google Earth and should show results very similar to that obtained when the mission is flown with your drone. I have tried it out on quite a few of the public missions available in Litchi Mission Hub and in areas where the satellite imagery is good, the results are impressive. Google Earth is so amazing!!

I have found VLM useful to check that there are no erroneous parameters in my Litchi Mission and to check that the camera ‘sees’ what I want it to see. It has saved me several wasted flights with my mavic.

A full User Guide is available in VLM under the Help Tab

Please give VLM a try and let me have any feedback, comments etc. I hope you find it useful.

Thanks

N
This is amazing! Thank you so much 🙏😊

I've been using Virtual Litchi Mission 1.0.5 and prefer it over the newer version. 2.5.0 is buggy on my system. 1.0.5 Just works better for me and it's a stand alone version so it doesn't have to be installed.

Time to include the mini 2 and the Air 2 to the list of compatible drones ?
It would be time to include Mini 2, Air 2S and Mini SE. The SDK has been released and Litchi does have a Beta out for them. The Air 2S has gimble issues and DJI must fix the SDK before it can be resolved.

@namirda, I've recently installed VLM and I want to thank you for making such a valuable and useful tool available to the drone user community. I really appreciate the work you put into this and your generosity in sharing it. Good on you.

Reactions: Facherty
I've been using Virtual Litchi Mission 1.0.5 and prefer it over the newer version. 2.5.0 is buggy on my system. 1.0.5 Just works better for me and it's a stand alone version so it doesn't have to be installed.

Hi Tufargon,

Can you please be a bit more specific about the bugs you find in V2.5. If I can duplicate the issues I will certainly try to fix them.

N

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78