DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We’re not all in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I love you folks over the pond. One of my best friends in the world is from California, and I lived in New Hampshire for a while a few years ago. So, this isn’t intended to upset anyone.

Today I’ve seen replies on three completely different threads quoting US/FAA rules and regulations where the OP isn’t even in the US (UK in these instances). In all three posts the OP had either mentioned they were in the UK, or had the UK as their location in their profile.

This forum is made up of people all over the planet. Most people have their location in their profile, or mention where they’re flying.

I'm sure everyone is trying to be helpful, but given the differences in laws, let’s check before we answer? ??

Edited as my original post maybe didn’t read as friendly as I’d like.

Its fairly common on the internet (not just drone forums, others too).
People just assume the US is the only country in the world and respond accordingly.
And yes, it gets annoying!

New Hampshire to the UK?A bit of culture shock?
It was UK to NH. In all honesty, it wasn’t that much different. Except here in the UK I get six weeks paid leave a year (not one) I’m not expected to work over my contract hours, and I don’t have to worry about paying medical bills.
Also, you guys drive everywhere! In some places there aren’t even any pavements.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Its fairly common on the internet (not just drone forums, others too).
People just assume the US is the only country in the world and respond accordingly.
And yes, it gets annoying!
And I have no idea where you are from - no country/town in your details

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Just a lurker here but its part of my every morning ritual. I thoroughly enjoy reading so many things here and have learned a considerable amount as such, but irregardless where anyone is from If I want to cut through it all I just wait for @sar104 to chime in. ?

Just a lurker here but its part of my every morning ritual. I thoroughly enjoy reading so many things here and have learned a considerable amount as such, but irregardless where anyone is from If I want to cut through it all I just wait for @sar104 to chime in. ?

I can always be relied on to sow fear and confusion.

Now, I love you folks over the pond. One of my best friends in the world is from California, and I lived in New Hampshire for a while a few years ago. So, this isn’t in

Today I’ve seen replies on three completely different threads quoting US/FAA rules and regulations where the OP isn’t even in the US (UK in these instances). In all three posts the OP had either mentioned they were in the UK, or had the UK as their location in their profile.

This forum is made up of people all over the planet. Most people have their location in their profile, or mention where they’re flying.

I'm sure everyone is trying to be helpful, but given the differences in laws, let’s check before we answer? ??

Edited as my original post maybe didn’t read as friendly as I’d like.
The USA tends to disbelieve that anything outside the USA exists, if it does then it must have the same laws and regulations!
I can watch news all day long and absolutely nothing is mentioned outside our boarders, in no way is this derogatory just introspective.

What is it about people that feel that they have to be argumentative for no reason. The OP raises a valid concern and it’s been nothing but a bunch of “yeah but..” replies... ??‍♂️

I can always be relied on to sow fear and confusion.
Funny. Your time and effort here is invaluable. I did notice you seemed a little off yesterday, probably from staying up late trying to help someone. I found it humorous as it offered the slim possibility that your human....albeit more likely in a Spock sort of way.....but in all seriousness thank you for all you do.

In defense of the US, this place is so vast and diverse it's like a dozen different countries all glommed together. Traveling interstate can be similar (to me anyway) to visiting several countries.
With so much going on there aren't enough hours in the day for the media to cover the rest of the world in depth and still sell advertising.

I used to think it was native introspection, having traveled a lot and lived in a number of different countries in my life. After living in the States for 15 years now (my wife is a native New Yorker) I believe it's just the pressure of local news piled on national news, not to mention the inevitable commercials. All this leaves little slack in the scheduling. When I crave a different perspective there's always NPR and the BBC World Service on satellite radio.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
If you could, point out to me where in this post it says”UK”. I picked up something that made me think Pennsylvania.

Hi guys,
I’d really like to fly legally but I struggle to find the local byelaws.
For example, I live in parish council in the south of Reading: postcode is RG2, but we pay taxes to Workingham.
Who is in charge to define where I can fly, on top of the drone code?
Reading Council?
Wokingham Council?
Local Parish Council?
Local Park owner?
Any County (Berkshire) authority?
And moreover... where should I look for these information? A basic google search?
I’ve been on the Wokingham website search engine and found nothing, but I supposed that’s not enough.

please help me to understand where to fly without feeling guilty every time.
You make a good point since many place names in the UK are mirrored in the USA and other predominantly English speaking countries. Sometimes, since he mentioned his post code, the sharp-eyed would spot "Hang on, that's not a USA zip code!" No worries and no need to get our knickers in a twist, as we say here in the UK.;)

Reactions: SouthButNotOut
It was UK to NH. In all honesty, it wasn’t that much different. Except here in the UK I get six weeks paid leave a year (not one) I’m not expected to work over my contract hours, and I don’t have to worry about paying medical bills.
Also, you guys drive everywhere! In some places there aren’t even any pavements.
Too right old boy! But don't you mean sidewalks?Thumbswayup

Reactions: Lastrexking
Gents, some of us have alert on "someone has replied your question". So seldom visits here.. Thus it is then a bit frustrating to come and read guidelines meant to be to a different continent/state, again and again. Of course can ask guidelines to certain location after all but to err is human.

Appreciate your input. Completely agree that the general laws are similar, but not exactly the same. For example, the crazy drone and flight categories we have from November here in Europe - nothing like them anywhere else in the world. Similarly, down to local laws. Here in the UK, some councils have banned drones in their land, some haven’t. All of our national parks have different rules. I think we need to be careful (hence this post), especially if we look at the EU headache of rules coming in.

Thankfully we left the EU in January..... but some things will run parallel. I have no idea of what rules are in place or what they are going to be, but I am starting to read up on them. I don't have my helicopter yet, so I cannot fall foul of the regulations. I intend to stay within them once I do start to fly my drone.

As an aside, I only joined the forum an hour ago, how or where do I put UK in so people know where I am from? Do not assume everyone knows how computers work from the outset. I have only just gone from XP to Windows 7 and it is a nightmare for me, everything is different.

Reactions: NonoT
Thankfully we left the EU in January..... but some things will run parallel. I have no idea of what rules are in place or what they are going to be, but I am starting to read up on them. I don't have my helicopter yet, so I cannot fall foul of the regulations. I intend to stay within them once I do start to fly my drone.

As an aside, I only joined the forum an hour ago, how or where do I put UK in so people know where I am from? Do not assume everyone knows how computers work from the outset. I have only just gone from XP to Windows 7 and it is a nightmare for me, everything is different.
We can see you are from "England". Its right below your name. "Location: England"

Reactions: KingRat
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c