DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which of the following things can permanently damage your gimbal?

Which of the following things can permanently damage your gimbal?

• Total voters

Former Member

Reactions
I have repaired thousands of drone gimbals. Do you know what can damage your gimbal and how to tell whether or not it has been permanently damaged?

Take thew quiz below to see how good a mechanic you are.

This is a bag of broken gimbals. They dont work, but make great paperweights or stocking stuffers.

Bag of gimbals.jpg

Last edited:
Granted, I really do not like sports mode. But I can hardly imagine that could destroy the gimbal...

However, if you fly against the wind for a very long time, the gimbal needs more energy to stabilize. Because the air turbulence strains the gimbal, it can overload, and the gimbal takes damage.

I think every one of your paperweights has at least one motor with a defective coil winding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Granted, I really do not like sports mode. But I can hardly imagine that could destroy the gimbal...

However, if you fly against the wind for a very long time, the gimbal needs more energy to stabilize. Because the air turbulence strains the gimbal, it can overload, and the gimbal takes damage.

I think every one of your paperweights has at least one motor with a defective coil winding.

The problem with sports mode as it relates to your gimbal is that the rapid starting and stopping of your drone creates extra work for your gimbal gyros to catch up with the rest of the drone to stabilize the gimbal. The gimbal really wasnt made to be jerked around for either photography or for flight. The gimbals motors can overheat of sudden starting and stopping occur, they simply cant overcome all the g forces and motion being subjected to them.

2 moves that I would never do with my drone are full speed yawing, and full speed braking. Full speed yawing makes the gimbal yaw motor work harder to catch up with the yaw motion of the drone, and can fry the motor. High speed braking, "snake rearing", is also bad because it forces the gimbal pitch motor to its downward limit to try and hold the angle. This will hurt your gimbal, and possibly break a ribbon cable.

This could be a good thread. I'm so careful with that gimbal. I LOVE blowing money on accessories but I won't buy the gimbal holders or filters because I'm afraid to Man-Handle my fragile little camera...

Loving the info here.

I have repaired thousands of drone gimbals. Do you know what can damage your gimbal and how to tell whether or not it has been permanently damaged?

This is a bag of broken gimbals. They dont work, but make great paperweights or stocking stuffers.

View attachment 68308

So I used to love flying around in sports mode with crazy yaw movements. Guess I will not do this anymore :) How can I tell if I have damaged my gimbal? It does seem to work good now.

This could be a good thread. I'm so careful with that gimbal. I LOVE blowing money on accessories but I won't buy the gimbal holders or filters because I'm afraid to Man-Handle my fragile little camera...

Loving the info here.

I agree. Better to spend your hard earned money on accessories than repairs!

View attachment 68308

this is a total shame what DJI did there. on the FPV-tilt armattan i have a fron facing gimbal, with an old go pro camera on it. arms that hold motors are all bended sideways from numerous direct impacts. and, everything works. motors were in the mud, sand and water. it is crazy how flimsy this dji stuff is...
of course, it is way heavier, but, still... it is a gimbal 2-3 generations behind this one, but, same design:
GH3-3D 3-Axis Brushless Camera Gimbal Black for GoPro Hero3+ and Action Cameras | eBay

this is a total shame what DJI did there. on the FPV-tilt armattan i have a fron facing gimbal, with an old go pro camera on it. arms that hold motors are all bended sideways from numerous direct impacts. and, everything works. motors were in the mud, sand and water. it is crazy how flimsy this dji stuff is...
of course, it is way heavier, but, still... it is a gimbal 2-3 generations behind this one, but, same design:
GH3-3D 3-Axis Brushless Camera Gimbal Black for GoPro Hero3+ and Action Cameras | eBay

Yes, that piece was made back when men were men. (and drones were drones)

Reactions: paulatkin73
This may be a difficult question, not sure, but under normal use, in terms of hours, is there an estimate of the lifespan of a drone? Perhaps Mr. Thunderdrones probably knows the weak spots of a Mavic 2 Pro with the "Hasselblad" camera.

Yes, that piece was made back when men were men. (and drones were drones)
i would not mind a $100-$200 or so service fee to improve this $600 gimbal with non-breakable, or, well, at least less-breakable parts. at very least, it would be great to swap all plastic in there with all-aluminum arms that would bend but not break permanently from a first minor hit. above $200 it probably would not be reasonable... i think an additional 50g or so of arms weight would not change much in the way this gimbal works.

just looking at forums and pictures posted - base yaw motor torn out of the holder - simple clamp above would fix that, mounts of rubber anti-vibration links broken, middle plastic connector piece bended, cable torn out - it is all quite ridiculous. dunno, may be i do oversimplify it, but it just asks for an improvement imho.

Last edited:
I must be **** lucky, my mpp have now flown 235 hours(5623km,1034 flights). It has been flown into a tree and survived, I once let it slam into the ground but not that hard and it survived lol. And other than that I always fly in sport due to it always being windy to a degree. Everything still works

Why? let's see...
it is an unsealed gimbal apparatus, with underpowered motors to save weight and $$$. Same goes for gimbal mounting hardware.
You got my attention with the words: "grain of sand" and "sport mode".
Will be more cautious from now on the beach, and will be gentle rolling on the throttle in sport mode.
thanks for the tips.

Yep, it is a gentle flying camera system, not an indestructible armattan racer with a lifetime warranty on the frame. But, what can be done. It is quite a nice system.

Maybe it's alot of "lucknof the draw" it seems with DJI.
You can buy a brand new product that is broke right out of the box or a single factory firmware update will ground you for an indeterminate amount of time... Or you get a TANK that seems to be the greatest technological achievement of man next to walking on the moon.
It's all about taking care of what you have. It seems like all of your options are avoidable with little effort.

I would concentrate on AVOIDANCE of ALL your options, not WHICH ONE is less harmful..

Ok here goes. The correct answer was E, all of the above.

A. Leaving the gimbal clamp on - Leaving the gimbal clamp on once, twice or three times when the gimbal is new might not cause any permanent damage, but it really depends on how well the gimbal is glued together, and how strong the motors are. If you leave the gimbal clamp on after the drone has had a dozen flight hours, it might be a very different story. Motors wear, parts overheat, and the current draw to a gimbal that is fighting to level itself while it is restrained is important to note. Gimbal motors dont have a clutch. They are direct drive to the arms, and stressing them out in any way will shorten their lives.

B. Getting one grain of sand in your gimbal motor assembly - Ever get a gimbal motor obstructed error message? It means that something is impeding the motors ability to swing around their axes. Even a cimple little grain of sand can cause an obstructed message, and it's best to listen to it. Examine your gimbal, turn the motors through their axes, feel for any rough spots. If you have been to the beach, and even if you have used a landing pad, sand has a way of getting into the gimbal. If you find some sand in the gimbal. Dont turn the drone on. It wont clear itself. You can use a piece of copy paper to get into the crevices of the gimbal. If the sand is really embedded, computer cleaner compressed air can be used, but that increases the possibility of further embedding the sand deeper into the gimbal.

C. Getting your gimbal wet - Fresh and salt water are your gimbals worst enemies. Yes, even worse than a crash. After a crash you can see the damage, water penetration you often cant. What to do if your bird has taken a bath? Strip it down best you can, and get the water out. Salt water will corrode components in a NY minute if you dont get it out. What do I use? Isopropyl alcohol and a box of Qtips and cotton balls. You can also use electronics contact cleaner, but it stinks to smell it. Really, every single piece of the drone that got wet needs to be looked at. In the gimbal, the most important part is the gimbal PCB that sits atop the gimbal. During one repair, I just couldn't get the gimbal to calibrate. I took off the gimbal PCB, and the bottom side was covered in salt. The owner didnt tell me he was flying near the beach. New board cured it.

D. Flying too much in sport mode - Did you know that 75% of the repairs that I get in are in sport mode? Sport mode = no sensors, and no obstacle avoidance. What affect does sport mode have on your gimbal? Sport mode causes the gimbal alot of stress. Fast starts, fast stops, spins, max speed flight will make your gimbal work very hard to keep level. It is gyro stabilized, and wants to keep itself level. By causing it to have to correct itself every second that you make an abrupt maneuver, you are stressing it out. When a gimbal is new, it might be able to handle it. When its old, you might just smoke it. If youre gonna fly in sport mode, maybe get a Spark. They only have 2 axis gimbals and the gimbals are alot hardier than the Mavics. Also, on the M2, the M2P has a $600 gimbal on it. Do you want to have to replace it? I dont think so.

One more thing, try not to yaw and spin around too quickly. The gimbal yaw motor is not very strong, and has limited travel. If you do a quick 360, the yaw motor is going to try and catch up as best it can. If you spin your drone like a top, expect a gimbal repair in your future. If you fly like a photographer, you will never stress your gimbal out. Slow and steady.

Aight, for those of you who stayed awake long enough to read the end of this diatribe of what not to do, I salute, you. For those that didnt, you have my address.

Peace.

Rob

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt