DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who do you use for insurance against fly aways and crashes?

J3ffrey

Reactions
Friend wants me to take some video of his boat, not paid, just fun.. My statefarm lady just called me back and said because I have moved to another state I can't use her anymore... I guess she didn't catch it till 4:55 pm... I have tried to call local places in this state but they are slow to respond. I also saw a couple apps that do it on the spot, but charge some crazy prices to have liability etc, and they look like they are for the pros..

Really only worried about it drowning or flying away. The friend of mine wants this done around 930am tomorrow, not sure that if I get in touch w/ statefarm at 9 they can do soemthing like that so fast...

Fyi, the last time I used SF it was 50 bucks for the year, no deductible.. .any ideas? Thanks

Reactions: Xitor
I have SkyWatch and had a discount by going through Pilot Institute's affiliate link. Also, there is an option for an additional discount if you upload a flight history of your last 5 flights.
The only thing I didn't like is the phone app is just a commercial not an app to display your insurance. So I printed mine and put it in my bag.
They have per month, per year, and per flight options. I bought the per year plan because I fly alot and don't want the hassle of having to remember to turn it on.

With or without insurance, getting a Rescue Jacket for your done when flying near or over water is a must. Check with @Phantomrain.org for great pricing.

I have SkyWatch and had a discount by going through Pilot Institute's affiliate link. Also, there is an option for an additional discount if you upload a flight history of your last 5 flights.
The only thing I didn't like is the phone app is just a commercial not an app to display your insurance. So I printed mine and put it in my bag.
They have per month, per year, and per flight options. I bought the per year plan because I fly alot and don't want the hassle of having to remember to turn it on.
Any chance you have that link? I also went there for 107, dont see any link though, even after logging in..

Really only worried about it drowning or flying away.
Drones don't "fly away".
The best way to prevent what some people call a flyaway is to understand how the drone works, what can go wrong and how to make sure they don't happen to you.
And flying over water is usually safer than flying over land because there are no obstacles to hit.
I'm not concerned about my drone falling from the sky over land, so why would I be any more concerned over water?

Any chance you have that link? I also went there for 107, dont see any link though, even after logging in..
I did a quick look but can't find the link. It was buried in one of the final courses. If you email PilotInstitute I am sure they will share it with you.

Friend wants me to take some video of his boat, not paid, just fun.. My statefarm lady just called me back and said because I have moved to another state I can't use her anymore... I guess she didn't catch it till 4:55 pm... I have tried to call local places in this state but they are slow to respond. I also saw a couple apps that do it on the spot, but charge some crazy prices to have liability etc, and they look like they are for the pros..

Really only worried about it drowning or flying away. The friend of mine wants this done around 930am tomorrow, not sure that if I get in touch w/ statefarm at 9 they can do soemthing like that so fast...

Fyi, the last time I used SF it was 50 bucks for the year, no deductible.. .any ideas? Thanks
The company I use gives good public & private liability cover for £30 a year, but the crash and flyaway cover annual premium is close to 80 percent of the cost of the drone and on top of that, they expect the policy holder to pay the first £500 of any claim. Cheaper to write off the loss and buy a second hand replacement.

State Farm Ins./$75 per year personal articles policy. Washington State
Thanks. I was just gonna ask some one if they had any info on the State Farm policy. Most importantly, the price.
Sorry, but I read too many mixed reviews about the DJI Care and want to look into alternatives to it.

Reactions: clydesur

If you’re really doing it for fun, and the guy is a really a friend I would think he would work it out to your convenience. Why risk not having insurance if in your estimation it’s necessary for something that could be delayed?

Drones don't "fly away".
The best way to prevent what some people call a flyaway is to understand how the drone works, what can go wrong and how to make sure they don't happen to you.
And flying over water is usually safer than flying over land because there are no obstacles to hit.
I'm not concerned about my drone falling from the sky over land, so why would I be any more concerned over water?
While you may not be concerned with it falling out of the sky either over land or water, if it does, one is going to considerably more easy to retrieve and a submerged drone will probably me more of a challenge to restore.

While you may not be concerned with it falling out of the sky either over land or water, if it does, one is going to considerably more easy to retrieve and a submerged drone will probably me more of a challenge to restore.
If concern about recovery was a big issue, I'd keep my drone on the ground.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Maybe your not but obviously the OP is and that’s why he is asking for our advice!!

Thanks. I was just gonna ask some one if they had any info on the State Farm policy. Most importantly, the price.
Sorry, but I read too many mixed reviews about the DJI Care and want to look into alternatives to it.
State Farm I have my Mavic 2 and 3 for about $80

Reactions: djwak59
Skywatch.ai is great because you can buy by the hour, day, or year. I think I pay $8/hr, and drone replacement coverage is like $10 more, but depends on the drone, a mini wouldn't be nearly as much as a P4P. It is more specific for business I think, but I use them. State Farm seems to be great for recreational coverage.

You should note, even though it's a friend and unpaid, it is still a part 107 commercial operation according to the FAA. You said you went to PI for 107, so should be fine.

Per the rules, any flight that has a purpose for anything other than just flying around for you, I.E. your friend asked for pics of a boat, means the intention of the flight is commercial. If you were just flying around and happened to capture some pics of his boat once you were in the air, then that could be recreational.

Just mentioning it so that if something happens, you don't report that you were doing a commercial flight inadvertently. Once in flight, you can decide to get some images/video just because...

State Farm is great for recreational flying but doesn’t cover commercial flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman