DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s An Air2S Temps fate and loses. The Flight of Icarus. A Lesson on What Not To Do with Your Drone! DJI comments.

YOUTUBE COMMENT FROM DJI SUPPORT ! "
"Thanks for showing us this great video at such a price. We are sorry to hear about the experience on your drone and want to tell all our customers that please pay attention to your real-time battery level on the APP. Provided there are anythings that need my assistance, please don't hesitate to tell us."

--Edit-- This video grabbed DJI's attn, as a video showing exactly why they have restrictions on their drones. Some owners may not like them, but they are there for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiorent
He should’ve used Flight of Icarus - Iron Maiden for the backing track. Would’ve been worth the copyright strike ?

?Fly on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the sun
On your way, like an eagle
Fly, touch the sun ?
That would have made a great soundtrack for this video. Maybe, I should take snippets from the song and create a version that doesn't cause the their copyright detection software to flag it.

I'll ask, but I think the end of the video is the end of the drone. ?
“You’ll ask,”…. who are you going to ask? Your post says this was an “unknown pilot” who posted the video.
You also said “The pilot, knowing the inevitable, moved the aircraft over an empty grassy field. He/She knew the drone would eventually freefall.” Did the UNKNOWN pilot tell you that also? Jus’ curious….

Reactions: MannysVoyage
“You’ll ask,”…. who are you going to ask? Your post says this was an “unknown pilot” who posted the video.
You also said “The pilot, knowing the inevitable, moved the aircraft over an empty grassy field. He/She knew the drone would eventually freefall.” Did the UNKNOWN pilot tell you that also? Jus’ curious….
I've never met the guy. I know him from a CGI and software forum where we share video, software, assets, tips and other stuff. I don't know what he looks like. I don't even know where he lives. I don't know his real name, but I "know him" electronically, you could say. We both know we fly drones. We text each other about our adventures and misadventures as well as share video footage for computer animation projects, so I asked him to send me this drone video. And voila, I posted it on you tube and added a soundtrack. We exchange PMs, Texts, emails..etc. He's done a lot worse things than what you see in this video.

Very cool,Reminds me of iron maiden that was one of my favorite songs

Oh sorry I didn’t notice that you lost your drone I haven’t had my coffee yet to be honest I’m not too keen on the air product that they’ve been putting out my buddy got one and it looks a little cheesy to me compared to the pro even to the first Mavic that they came out with which are still on and works perfectly after 4 years now, very sorry you lost your drone

I've never met the guy. I know him from a CGI and software forum where we share video, software, assets, tips and other stuff. I don't know what he looks like. I don't even know where he lives. I don't know his real name, but I "know him" electronically, you could say. We both know we fly drones. We text each other about our adventures and misadventures as well as share video footage for computer animation projects, so I asked him to send me this drone video. And voila, I posted it on you tube and added a soundtrack. We exchange PMs, Texts, emails..etc. He's done a lot worse things than what you see in this video.
Thanks for responding. Happy flying ??

This "Pilot" was stupid, and reckless, for even attempting this, much less putting it out there for viewing. Crap like this, is one of the reasons we're being over regulated.
Not only was he openly flouting UAV regulations, he, apparently, had no experience with the drone, or it's Hyperlapse function.
Honestly, Brother, I refuse to post ANYTHING I come across, like this. It only encourages the idiots doing it, plus, it also gives new pilots bad ideas. Just my opinion.
It makes absolutely no sense to make rules strickter, because someone breaks them.

This "Pilot" was stupid, and reckless, for even attempting this, much less putting it out there for viewing. Crap like this, is one of the reasons we're being over regulated.
Not only was he openly flouting UAV regulations, he, apparently, had no experience with the drone, or it's Hyperlapse function.
Honestly, Brother, I refuse to post ANYTHING I come across, like this. It only encourages the idiots doing it, plus, it also gives new pilots bad ideas. Just my opinion.
?

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
curious question, if you know you won't make the descent with the remaining battery, could you just execute the emergency propeller shut off, let it free fall for a certain amount of seconds, start up the propellers, and then descend? or would the drone not be able to recover from whatever position its in during free fall?

I've never met the guy. I know him from a CGI and software forum where we share video, software, assets, tips and other stuff.

A "Persian" site by chance?

curious question, if you know you won't make the descent with the remaining battery, could you just execute the emergency propeller shut off, let it free fall for a certain amount of seconds, start up the propellers, and then descend? or would the drone not be able to recover from whatever position its in during free fall?

That would be epic to pull off.

Reactions: cgmaxed
Good question ?

Reactions: cgmaxed
This has been successfully performed with a Mavic Pro. Here’s the link:

And here is a video of a P4P doing the same (not quite as clear. Scroll to 1:14):

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiorent

And here is a video of a P4P doing the same (not quite as clear. Scroll to 1:14):

I really do question on battery level here... critically low I wonder if it could save itself.. Either way this is a dice roll.

I love the idea of letting the drone drop early and trying to restart it before hitting the ground. That would have been insane. Awesome if pulled off.

The pilot of the originally posted video, could have done a CSC and saved the drone. To bad, so sad, didn't happen. If he did, and saved the drone, I wouldn't have posted it. The purpose of the video was to show the consequences of flying out of bounds. I wouldn't have posted it, if he didn't crash.

If it's inverted, or tilted at an extreme angle, it engages the drone's auto shutoff. With the top mounted battery it's almost sure to flip over, and try to stay that way, due to gravity. Pretty sure that would negate the ability to restart, and recover.

If it's inverted, or tilted at an extreme angle, it engages the drone's auto shutoff. With the top mounted battery it's almost sure to flip over, and try to stay that way, due to gravity. Pretty sure that would negate the ability to restart, and recover.
Good observation.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929