DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone waiting for the Hasselblad 2X zoom coming out next year?

E92Vancouver

Reactions
What DJI did was mean and cruel. Offering 2 drones with features everyone wants in 1 unit. I can bet my bottom dollar that there will be a Mavic 3 Hasselblad 2X optical zoom next year. So what to do? Flip a coin and buy one of the current offerings and have regrets or wait for what you know will be the inevitable dragon slayer.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
You are making a couple of assumption here.
1. DJI chose not to release a Hasselblad x2 drone. There's probably a size constraint they need to work out. And the mounting pressure from MP1 owners for an updated one probably meant they have to release M2 last year. And it would probably cost like $500 more, which some would bulk at.
2. It's coming out next year. They don't follow any specific timeline.

I can bet my bottom dollar that there will be a Mavic 3 Hasselblad 2X optical zoom next year. So what to do? Flip a coin and buy one of the current offerings and have regrets or wait for what you know will be the inevitable dragon slayer.
Seems to me you are basing all this on a guess as to what DJI might (and very well might not) release in another year?
All you can do is go with what's available now.
There's no point making decisions based on guessing what might be released in the distant future.

Seems to me you are basing all this on a guess as to what DJI might (and very well might not) release in another year?
All you can do is go with what's available now.
There's no point making decisions based on guessing what might be released in the distant future.

Looking at their history, DJI has a fast innovation cycle. This keeps the money coming in from those with the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Phantom 4 is now end of life. Phantom 5 is coming out.

Since DJI is now the majority owner of Hasselblad, expect to see much more Hasselblad. Maybe Phantom 5 will have Hasselblad removable lens and optical zoom. Be prepared to be blown away.

Since DJI is now the majority owner of Hasselblad, expect to see much more Hasselblad. Maybe Phantom 5 will have Hasselblad removable lens and optical zoom. Be prepared to be blown away.
The P4 was a very different model from the P4 pro which is still current >2 yrs after release.
We've been seeing prototypes of a P5 for over a year now but no hints when/if it will ever be released.

Reactions: Former Member

Disagree. The P4P V2 just came out. I would not call that end of life in any way.

I am not blown away by Phantoms any more. Even if they came out with retract and a detachable gimbal (all guesses), Mavic people are not going to buy Phantoms.

The Hasselblad camera is a rebadged, "Chinese lens on a Sony consumer camera sensor. Not really a Hasselblad, but if they say they developed it with Hasselblad over a 2 year period."

Something like that will most likely come to the Phantom line, not Mavic for obvious physical size requirement reasons. And the Mavic line is on a 2 year cycle, not 1... so even if it did you'll likely have 2 years to wait.

Disagree. The P4P V2 just came out. I would not call that end of life in any way.

I am not blown away by Phantoms any more. Even if they came out with retract and a detachable gimbal (all guesses), Mavic people are not going to buy Phantoms.

The Hasselblad camera is a rebadged, "Chinese lens on a Sony consumer camera sensor. Not really a Hasselblad, but if they say they developed it with Hasselblad over a 2 year period."

The Hasselblad camera does in fact have a Sony 1 inch type sensor. Not many consumer cameraa have a 1 inch type sensor so it is kind of special. Most point and shoots come with a 1/2.5 inch. Hasselblad provides the software. DJI now controls Hasselblad. Sony puts the 1 inch type in their RX100. But that sensor is back lit. The pro sensor is not back lit so that kind of sucks.

Phantom 4 is in fact end of life. DJI told my dealer this. I have also seen correspondence from DJI on this on the net.

a.) There will always be upgrades and new models. Its the Apple biz model that Mr. Wang follows. In a Wall Street Journal profile Wang lauded Steve Jobs as his idol. I only wish he would emulate APPLE and Steve Job's early mantra and upgrade service, open an East Coast repair & service facility, open technical phone support with American speakers. and be more transparent about parameters of various issues and..not use uninformed low level tekkies reading a script in the Philippines..

b.) I flew and photographed the partial demolition of New York State's Tappanzee Bridge yesterday. One drone team from ABC brought Inspire1's....many had Inspire1's. I brought Inspire2 and Mavic2Pro. Opted for M2P simply because we didn't know how long we would have to be in the air and M2P has longer battery time...and it was frigid temps. While the Inspire1 may be at its "end of life" many trust its batteries more than IN2. It remains a great aircraft. It's really all about how to use a camera/aircraft to its fullest..not necessarily having the latest and greatest.

Attachments

• Lightroom (20190115_Mavic_TappanZee_Implode_0012.DNG).jpg
    Lightroom (20190115_Mavic_TappanZee_Implode_0012.DNG).jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 99
Same as Computers, TV's/HiFi, Cars etc etc, there will always be something better around the corner or next year.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard