DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds attacking drone over and over

Blimey, you were very lucky? I would of landed straight away. I’m no expert but were they pigeons? Looked like it, again, gangs of pigeons looking for trouble...

Pain in the 7BE04C98-A6CF-4EC1-869D-92C52A300529.jpeg

i think they were swifts or swallows they were in a feeding pattern probably from swarms of insects coming off the ground,they were not actually attacking the drone,but you were lucky not to have been hit, its a tribute to their flying skills that you werent makes for some great shots though

The best thing to do is climb to a higher altitude immediately, as the birds cannot ascend vertically, then get the MP2 home fast as you can.

I sometime get a similar situation living on the W Coast with seagulls or Black Oystercatchers. The front sensors usually pause the MA. I have thought about putting on the guards, but so far I've not had a real 'hit'

Pigeons, they often do that fast flocking thing and are probably too stupid to even be aware of the Mavic.
Attacks are generally related to protecting young or nest sites, which is understandable.
Blundering into it because the other birds made them do it is another matter.

The best avoidance tactic is to go straight up, no bird can do that.

They certainly were curious, but they are better at avoiding us than we are at avoiding them.

i think they were swifts or swallows they were in a feeding pattern probably from swarms of insects coming off the ground,they were not actually attacking the drone,but you were lucky not to have been hit, its a tribute to their flying skills that you werent makes for some great shots though

I think your right about the type of birds.

Pigeons, they often do that fast flocking thing and are probably too stupid to even be aware of the Mavic.
Attacks are generally related to protecting young or nest sites, which is understandable.
Blundering into it because the other birds made them do it is another matter.

The best avoidance tactic is to go straight up, no bird can do that.

Not pigeons. Smaller than that.

I'm betting this is the natural flight characteristics of birds either migrating are coming back from migration. I've seen that often in the US in the South where big flocks of birds are trying to determine if they're going to land in a field and there's a undulating almost pulse like shift in Direction and velocity. It's almost mesmerizing to watch. And it can take minutes upon minutes for a big flock of birds to eventually settle down and land. That's what it looks like to me

Yes natural flight, have seen this around farm buildings etc when they know there is grain storage etc, they come in like that scoping out the place before landing.
I too thought they were pigeons at , fly like them for sure, but looking again agree, the wing shape and size, more like a swallow or such.

Yes natural flight, have seen this around farm buildings etc when they know there is grain storage etc, they come in like that scoping out the place before landing.
I too thought they were pigeons at , fly like them for sure, but looking again agree, the wing shape and size, more like a swallow or such.

I agree

I'm betting this is the natural flight characteristics of birds either migrating are coming back from migration. I've seen that often in the US in the South where big flocks of birds are trying to determine if they're going to land in a field and there's a undulating almost pulse like shift in Direction and velocity. It's almost mesmerizing to watch. And it can take minutes upon minutes for a big flock of birds to eventually settle down and land. That's what it looks like to me

That is the way it appears.

Reactions: JakeRobinson

Looking at the vid again, I think you’re right dad, good job buddy?

I agree they were flying as you described.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
Very lucky for sure. I agree that climbing is always the first option. At least until today, I was flying at La Jolla Coves and a squadron of pelicans were coming in so I started to gain a little altitude when out of nowhere a seagull comes in from above and Kaboom, I hit it smack on the underside. The good Lord was with me, the Mavic stumbled a little as there was a squawk and feathers abound. Once my heart came back to life the Mavic was still flying and the pelican was well, sporting a new feather do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan