DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caution with the new DJI FPV

Yeah I ordered the FPV and will be responsible (I'm a Part 107 flyer) and use a spotter after practicing in the sim extensively etc. I am concerned that all the things that make the FPV unique (the bigger battery, DJI smarts and ability to on a dime act like a normal drone, etc.) also make it LARGE. The drone is almost as heavy as a Mavic 2 Pro and WAY heavier than an Air 2. If you hit something with this at 90 mph forget about if it survives... I'd be far more concerned with the damage to people and property YOU can do! For me I'll be sticking with this over natural terrain and away from EVERYONE but how long until real damage is caused by a DJI FPV is my fear... its got to be one of the largest and heaviest FPV style drones ever made. Oh well, the hobby will be fun until they take it away from us.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I doubt that would happen, it would make take most of the reason for making the FPV drone in the first place.. There are slews of drones out there that can go that fast that are home brew or other makes, to always assume that someone is going to always damage someone or something is highly pessimistic, sure there are foolish people out there, and they do foolish things, but they aren't always flying drones to do it..
Maybe not with the normal or experienced drone pilot. However, with the general population of inexperienced families buying a drone for their kids, or just someone buying the thrill at Best buy, it could very well happen.

I started with FPV five years ago but have since transitioned to a P107 cine pilot. While I’m concerned about inexperienced pilots making the news with this, the real dangerous stuff is buried under menus and - more importantly - once people get their first taste of Rate Mode it’ll separate the boys from the men and half of these will end up being sold or crashed and abandoned. Some crashes might make the news but I suspect these will slowly disappear over the course of the next year or so.

I’m sure there are exceptions, but the vast majority of people that have any interest in FPV have already built their own or bought one of the million RTF drones that have existed for years and will literally fly circles around this for a fraction of the price.

DJI FPV buyers: why did you get this drone in particular?

Well, until proven wrong, I suspect that we won't see news of anything related to the FPV for months.. (if ever) the pessimism over The DJI FPV drone is over done..

There are slews of FPV flyers out there that have drones just as capable as this one in many regards, and I don't recall the last time I saw any of them hitting the news.. maybe I missed it?

The things I see in the news is some pilot trying to capture some sporting event, or getting in the way of emergency crews... or supposedly bouncing off aircraft. Not crashing into people or things at 60+ MPH...

Time will tell..

I just bought the FPV drone. I have had a Mavic Mini for about 1 year and am thoroughly enjoying it. But I have dreamed of flying FPV for a long time and I just pulled the trigger. It was just too tempting.
I have no experience with FPV. But this drone stair steps you in to full manual flying with the N and S flying modes to start out. Plus a flight simulator helps you prepare before actually flying full manual. And than there is the button you can push that will stop your drone at any time and hover.
I have been very responsible with my Mavic Mini, and plan to be very responsible with this FPV drone. I am very careful where I fly and am conscientious of other people around me. I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable or hurt someone
I started talking myself out of this drone when I first saw it. There are many reasons I could think of to not buy it. But today I decided to stop going over all the reasons to avoid buying this drone, and make an investment into something that looks like it’s going to be a heck of a lot of fun!!
Todd

I wonder how long it will be before we see a firmware update knocking the speed down to half of what it can do now. It will only take a few people flying manual going 90mph and hitting a building, car or god forbid a person
I'm a little surprised they invested in the production of a racing quad. Their lawyers must have been screaming . I wonder if they could be held liable for accidents due to their sheer speed. Get one ASAP before they are discontinued. Anyway, I can see these being flown in places void of people and buildings, or places designed for racing, but I would be really hesitant flying in populated areas, unless flown at an altitude between 150 and 400 ft. Do all the high speed loops and tricks you want high in the air. Just stay FAR away from any people on the ground. Even if you don't fly over people, you can still hit them with all that momentum. I hope this drone doesn't shoot DJI and the drone community in the foot, if you know what I mean.

Dear forum members,

I strongly urge each and every one of you to seek advice concerning the new DJI FPV drone combo. With the new FPV proffering comes responsibility. As each and every country has different rules pertaining to piloting a UAS, I would highly recommend you check your home country rules of flight. Rules of UAS with and without FPV very well may be different. I strongly urge you to review and ask questions to your governing body if in doubt. The new FPV will give thousands, around the globe, a new perspective on flying a UAS. Be safe and be lawful. Learn and know the rules of your country. Above all, be safe!

Many happy flights to all.

Jeffrey
No LOS with FPV. So I guess it's illegal. So nobody should purchase one. ( Mod Removed OT And Political Remark) There ya go. Problem. Solution. Glad to help.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
No LOS with FPV. So I guess it's illegal. So nobody should purchase one. ( Mod Removed OT And Political Remark) There ya go. Problem. Solution. Glad to help.

D
Donnie, I do not think “nobody should purchase one” is the answer. Perhaps by involving others to enjoy the hobby. Get friends and family involved. Who knows, you may end up as CEO of a massive learning/teaching center. I hope it goes well with you.

R,
Jeffrey

Donnie, I do not think “nobody should purchase one” is the answer. Perhaps by involving others to enjoy the hobby. Get friends and family involved. Who knows, you may end up as CEO of a massive learning/teaching center. I hope it goes well with you.

R,
Jeffrey
Stop clouding this thread with logic and common sense. The fact is, some guys (who have never flown FPV) have deemed it "unlawful." Ergo, nobody should be allowed to purchase one.

OR...

Maybe some of us see the ridiculousness of a sport being legislated by a group who have never participated in it. Good on you, sir. I've been flying FPV for years. I have no plans on stopping now.

D

I'm a little surprised they invested in the production of a racing quad.

Although this is a "fast" quad, I personally would not really consider it a racing quad... one good crash and it's going to be toast. Doubtful anyone is going to seriously be racing these (Look at some of the un-bias reviews online already).

On that line of thinking, IMO we will see more videos posted of (new) FPV flyers smashing them to bits rather than the "other" types of incidents we all fear might end up in the news. I'm not sure if people realize how fragile the DJI FPV Quad is compared to a "real" FPV Quad.

THIS THREAD on the FPV Pilot Forum says it pretty well.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Yep. So the conclusion is that flying FPV is safe in some countries, but not in others. Hopefully, you see the ridiculousness of this.

D
Not really. It's just as safe/unsafe (depending on your point of view) everywhere, it's just that most countries have sensible rules in place to improve the safety and mitigate the risks.

The DJI FPV will solely be responsible for taking down the few rights that remain for aerial drone pilots.

The internet is full of idiots flying these rocket-ships at 80-100+ mph diving at them selves and others. There is going to be injuries and new laws as this drone reaches a mass level of new pilots which have no idea just how dangerous this drone is.

Mike
I guess they should make cars that only go as fast as the speed limit too...

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Not really. It's just as safe/unsafe (depending on your point of view) everywhere, it's just that most countries have sensible rules in place to improve the safety and mitigate the risks.
You mean MORE rules and regulations than the FAA??? You mean like China, Finland or Dubai?

The FAA already imposed a 100mph speed limit on drones. A long time ago.

D

Last edited:
100 mph seems prudent. Which is why they imposed it. Which is why we're all not "in danger."
Something weighing just 500g (less than many drones) travelling at 100 mph has around 500 joules of kinetic energy. That's quite a lot and you would definitely be "in danger" if it hit you.

Something weighing just 500g (less than many drones) travelling at 100 mph has around 500 joules of kinetic energy. That's quite a lot and you would definitely be "in danger" if it hit you.
Same applies to cars, trucks, trains, buses, and a slew of far more prevalent items then Drones.. so I don't think exaggerating the potential danger really accomplishes anything.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25