DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yania1991

Reactions
Hi! I'm going to buy DJI Mavic from a unofficial reseller - unfortunately, in my country this is the only way to obtain this drone, without paying a fortune and waiting for few weeks.

And I want to check it before buying, and not just visually, but also I want to turn it on and see if it's working at all, before giving away my money.

As far as I know, it's necessary to assign a name to Mavic (and connect it to the DJI account) and upgrade its firmware during the first launch. But what can I check without assigning accounts and names, and probably without reliable internet connection?

Even without using a phone/tablet, you should be able to power up the R/C and the drone. I am pretty sure you can actually boot the system without registering, but you cannot fly until you go through the registration process.

Note that my "official reseller" actually registered themselves as the drone owner and updated all firmwares; this is because I am in a country that has no DJI Refresh and they wanted to assign their own insurance system to it. So with that, I was able to fly without going through the DJI process (DJI said my serial number was already done.) Not sure what your situation may be.

The R/C takes a short-press-then-long-press to turn on. It will read "CONNECTING..." The drone also takes a short-press-then-long-press to turn on. It will go through about 20 seconds of self-tests. Watch a YouTube video of "gimbal initialization" to recognize if this drone does anything different, such as more violent banging or ending up pointed the wrong way. If all four motors twitch, the lights blink, and the controller eventually may say "READY TO FLY" and confirm a few GPS satellites are known.

Shutting down is similar: short-press-then-long-press both units.

At this point, I would say I am committed to buying it AS LONG AS THEY WARRANTY IT FLIES.

If your reseller allows it, finish the registration necessary, then ask them to do a simple lift-off and landing or let you do it yourself. If you have to do it indoors, use a LOT of light and do it in the biggest emptiest area possible.

Thank you very much for the reply!
So, If I understand it right, controller can connect to the drone without a phone, and perform gimbal initialization. Well, I think that this will be enough to understand that Mavic is operational.

As "unofficial reseller", I meant that this is just a person who's buying drones overseas and transfer them to my country (Ukraine), so there's no any guaranties at all. In "official stores", Mavic is out of stock, and no one knows when they will get them...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000