DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 drop out sky

MP010

Reactions
Hi guys,

My DJI Mini 2 suddenly dropped out of the sky and fell in the water. I added the video and the flight data. It makes me more scared because I really did not expected that DJI Drones could fall out of the sky without any reason.

Could somebody check and see what went wrong? I hope DJI will cover this because it I really couldn't prevent this from happening :(

Kind regards,
Martijn

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-11-05_[16-22-59].txt
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • Sad
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
If i rule out bird strike, and battery disconnect, so most likely a prop came loose , be interesting to see what the Flight Data shows.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain < Capture the Storm.

Yes, it looks like a propeller became somehow damaged or loose!
You can see how it's spinning and descending, that happens normally when a prop is missing!
Check your propellers before flying!
Interested in the logs.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
At a guess you lost a prop or a prop broke. If correct I am sure someone will be able to say on which motor that occurred.
HOWEVER I have the unfortunate suspicion that you may have brought about the actual final fall.
At 8:46.6 you moved the joysticks to one of the CSC positions and held them there for the remainder of the log.
Given that there was obviously something seriously wrong with the drone this may have caused a mid air shut down of the motors.
I do not know where to look in the csv of your flight log for an indication/'message' that a shut down did occur. But I have deliberately done one (low down) with a mavic mini and the delay between the start of my CSC and the motor shut down was similar to the delay between the start of your CSC and the end of your log.
The .txt flight logs are recorded from motor start to motor stop. I should have the log for that flight and will see if I can see anything in there.

The above said it might be worth having a look for the DAT log for the flight and, if you can find it, post it on here.
I DO NOT know if the DAT will be readable but if it is it should have motor speeds etc. and perhaps allow folks to determine if you did cause a mid air shut down. The DAT's name should be something like 2021-11-05_[16-mm-ss]_FLY012.DAT

Last edited by a moderator:
your log on Phantomhelp = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Did you retrieve the drone?
Thanks! I did not retrieve the drone because it was almost in the centre of the lake. The flight data does not show a warning or anything suspicious. I will send the data to DJI to see whether they can see something. The only thing I remember is that I saw a message with: GPS ERROR before it dropped out of the sky. But that particular message of the GPS is not being showed in the flight data. Very confusing.

Reactions: Tiger64
At a guess you lost a prop or a prop broke. If correct I am sure someone will be able to say on which motor that occurred.
HOWEVER I have the unfortunate suspicion that you may have brought about the actual final fall.
At 8:46.6 you moved the joysticks to one of the CSC positions and held them there for the remainder of the log.
Given that there was obviously something seriously wrong with the drone this may have caused a mid air shut down of the motors.
I do not know where to look in the csv of your flight log for an indication/'message' that a shut down did occur. But I have deliberately done one (low down) with a mavic mini and the delay between the start of my CSC and the motor shut down was similar to the delay between the start of your CSC and the end of your log.
The .txt flight logs are recorded from motor start to motor stop. I should have the log for that flight and will see if I can see anything in there.

The above said it might be worth having a look for the DAT log for the flight and, if you can find it, post it on here.
I DO NOT know if the DAT will be readable but if it is it should have motor speeds etc. and perhaps allow folks to determine if you did cause a mid air shut down. The DAT's name should be something like 2021-11-05_[16-mm-ss]_FLY012.DAT
Hi Philiius

Thanks! I did not retrieve the drone because it was almost in the centre of the lake. The flight data does not show a warning or anything suspicious. I will send the data to DJI to see whether they can see something. The only thing I remember is that I saw a message with: GPS ERROR before it dropped out of the sky. But that particular message of the GPS is not being showed in the flight data. Very confusing.
Before contacting DJI I would suggest you wait and see if one of the log gurus chip in.
Assuming the drone is beneath the end point of the log it looks like it is 30m or thereabout from the shore, It might be a bit too far far for a safe swim but a fishing landing net and a boat might retrieve it, water depth depending obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MP010

Attachments

• 2021-11-05_16-22-20_FLY012.DAT
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
Hi Philips, is the file you need? I get what your saying and I am hoping that I didn't forced shut down the drone in the air because I never intended to do so. I though that would only be possible if you held the sticks inward for a few seconds. I can not imagine that I was doing that but the data will show I hope. Thanks in advance!

Darn it, CsvView can't read the DAT nor can DatCon.
Re the data showing the joystick positions, click on the phantomhelp link in post #3 then scroll with the horizontalslide bar to the right hand end of its travel and watch the joystick indicators.

Darn it, CsvView can't read the DAT nor can DatCon.
Re the data showing the joystick positions, click on the phantomhelp link in post #3 then scroll with the horizontalslide bar to the right hand end of its travel and watch the joystick indicators.
I see what you mean. I hold the sticks in a position that will force the drown to shut down. **** it, stupid setting. Way to easy to per accidently active. Thanks though.

I see what you mean. I hold the sticks in a position that will force the drown to shut down. **** it, stupid setting. Way to easy to per accidently active. Thanks though.
Actually if that did shut the motors down you have been somewhat unlucky.
The response to the CSC position is set in the app and the default setting is "EMERGENCY ONLY" or something like that.
With the drone in the air and the joysticks in the CSC position and the response left at the default, the decision of whether to stop the motors in mid air is left to the drone. If it 'thinks' the drone has suffered an emergency then it will stop the motors.
If it does NOT think the drone has suffered an emergency then the drone WILL NOT stop the motors.
I experimented with this and prior to the mid air stop I mentioned in post 5 I had brought then Mavic Mini down, under perfect control in C mode, from 100m+ and the motors did not stop.
For the test of post 5 the response to the CSC position had been changed to "Anytime" or something like that.
So if the CSC position did stop the motors then you have been unlucky in that the drone decided it had suffered an emergency............BUT........ the CSC thing is documented in the manual, p42.
In my own opinion not well documented but it is there.

@slup or @Meta4 or @sar104
am I up a gum tree with this?
It is a possibility ... the OP held a full CSC command for shutting down the motors for 1,298sec, starting at 526,702sec & the log ends at 528sec. If that delay is enough, yeah, maybe (if motors stop, the log stops).

No "emergency" is found during the log recording ... all AC movements are well corresponding to the stick commands & motors is reported to be on. The AC rotation shown in the vid. comes after the log have ended. No sudden large roll or pitch movement is seen in the vid. either ... indicating that all 4 motors shut down rather simultaneously.

So how was the Emergency propeller Stop set under the Advanced Safety settings ... Emergency Only or Always/Anytime?

PS. The DAT log from a Mini 2 isn't readable for other than DJI staff ... DS.

1636155585086.png

It is a possibility ... the OP held a full CSC command for shutting down the motors for 1,298sec, starting at 526,702sec & the log ends at 528sec. If that delay is enough, yeah, maybe (if motors stop, the log stops).

No "emergency" is found during the log recording ... all AC movements are well corresponding to the stick commands & motors is reported to be on. The AC rotation shown in the vid. comes after the log have ended. No sudden large roll or pitch movement is seen in the vid. either ... indicating that all 4 motors shut down rather simultaneously.

So how was the Emergency propeller Stop set under the Advanced Safety settings ... Emergency Only or Always/Anytime?

PS. The DAT log from a Mini 2 isn't readable for other than DJI staff ... DS.

View attachment 137826
Unfortunately the setting was on 'Anytime/Always'. :( Never ever gonna use that setting again! Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it.

Reactions: slup
Ahhhh then sorry its almost certain you stopped the motors in mid air.
I think the delay in "anytime" is FAR TOO short.
From memory the Phantom 3 adv does not have an equivalent to "emergency only" but the delay is 5secs. I once caught myself holding the CSC position whilst throwing the Phantom 3 around the sky, fortunately I had only held the position for a second or so before I realised what I was commanding.
Do you have care refresh? If so I would make efforts to recover the drone and use care refresh.
Otherwise look on the likes of ebay for a 2nd hand one, especially an unactivated care fresh replacement,
I'm still looking formy successful CSC test log.

Reactions: MP010
Ahhhh then sorry its almost certain you stopped the motors in mid air.
I think the delay in "anytime" is FAR TOO short.
From memory the Phantom 3 adv does not have an equivalent to "emergency only" but the delay is 5secs. I once caught myself holding the CSC position whilst throwing the Phantom 3 around the sky, fortunately I had only held the position for a second or so before I realised what I was commanding.
Do you have care refresh? If so I would make efforts to recover the drone and use care refresh.
Otherwise look on the likes of ebay for a 2nd hand one, especially an unactivated care fresh replacement,
I'm still looking formy successful CSC test log.
I have DJi care, not refresh I believe. So I hope they will give me a new one as I am not able to get it out of the water. I hope that's not necessary.

I have DJi care... So I hope they will give me a new one as I am not able to get it out of the water...
That's not how it works I'm afraid ... no craft, no DJI Care.

1636190907597.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan