DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in SFO and LAS under section 336

It's all buried in this one but you'll have to work to get to it. Scroll down to section #349

Based on what’s quoted in this document, I will need to pass an aeronautical knowledge test, to be legal. However, subsection g mentions that this test is currently not available and shall be made available in the next 6 months.

Does this mean I’m good to go for now?

53f15e4f0cedc3b9c0f797640eae0f9f.jpg

7abf5616057863345067179a55c5a842.jpg

Based on what’s quoted in this document, I will need to pass an aeronautical knowledge test, to be legal. However, subsection g mentions that this test is currently not available and shall be made available in the next 6 months.

Does this mean I’m good to go for now?

53f15e4f0cedc3b9c0f797640eae0f9f.jpg

7abf5616057863345067179a55c5a842.jpg

That's a question that your local FSDO and only the FSDO can answer for you. My guess (and that's all it is) would be that once the Law goes into effect there is no wiggle room.

This is going to be a major "sticking point" until all the details are ironed out and in place. Keep in mind that when Part 107 went LIVE (August 29, 2016) we had to apply for Airspace Authorizations manually and they could take upwards of 6-months to get notified (approved or denied) so it would not surprise me one bit to see this put the brakes on hobby flights until the new system is tweaked to allow for Hobby authorizations.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! This looks encouraging, other than the weather forecast of course.

The 3 observers rule won’t be necessary I guess, other than for the location you mentioned.

@kadras I am flying to LAS on the 20th so that will not be an issue.

The three observer thing isn't a "rule" per se, but it will take two or three observers stationed along the route so that your craft will not be beyond VLS--the bridge is quite a distance from the Palace of Fine Arts. When I'm there, I fly with a few other pilots, so we observe for each other. Be sure you take off with a full battery.

I googled a drone store that also sells DJI drones Front Page - Alpha drone that is located in Las Vegas. If I were you & wanting to know exactly first hand as to where you're allowed or not allowed to fly contact them. You can always get a ton a resourceful information that you otherwise may not find on the forums! - Good Luck

I visit Las Vegas often, been in contact with Nicolas M Colvin & Scott French of the FAA as well as David Martel of the Las Vegas PD.
Officer Martel is the LV Safety officer/sUAS Program Coordinator.
Martel informed me there is a minimum of 250ft for LV privacy law - not counting launch or landing.
Everything was set for me to fly the Fountains of Bellagio as a hobbyist this past December.
I was going to take off and hover in an alley between the Paris and Balli's
That is until Mr. French passed on bad info that you had to be part 107 to fly in class B Airspace - no exceptions.

Once we left, I had another question later on about a flight and Mr. French referred me to his supervisor Mr. Colvin.
He stated that I could have flown on the strip as a hobbyist even though I was 1.3 miles away from runway 19L.
Just had to call the tower.

So until May 17th...I was ready to fly it in early June when we go back... but oh well.

Lots of other places you can fly outside the 5 mile range of McCarran.
Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston (not in the wilderness reserve sections), Seven Magic Mountains, Jean Roch Lake, Black Mountain (where the radio towers are but 400' [120m] away from them) B&Q mountain and other places...so long as you are outside the 5 miles.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser