DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously this profession didn't seem to work out for you. Videography/phorography etc is a skill set that many people have, yes. I was just stating that offering aerial services is not a skill set that every photographer and videographer has.... Yet. Also, you need a reality check if you think 21 is old! [emoji23] Drones have just started popping up; I may be a few years late, but in a new industry thats nothing.

I understand you are trying to help by stating the realities, but you are exaggerating the truth.

I will take what you said with a grain of salt and use it to push myself. I work the hardest when people tell me I can't do something.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Obviously this profession didn't seem to work out for you. Videography/phorography etc is a skill set that many people have, yes. I was just stating that offering aerial services is not a skill set that every photographer and videographer has.... Yet. Also, you need a reality check if you think 21 is old! [emoji23] Drones have just started popping up; I may be a few years late, but in a new industry thats nothing.

I understand you are trying to help by stating the realities, but you are exaggerating the truth.

I will take what you said with a grain of salt and use it to push myself. I work the hardest when people tell me I can't do something.
Having said that I think you'll be successful

Reactions: black_magic100
Go out, take plenty of photos and videos, do some editing, created a website, put your work on the website so potential clients can actually see what your quality of work is. No point giving a business card and say you can do drone footage. If you want to do real estate footage, you need to show you can fly around the house without crashing in to it, while taking a good video. ;)
Copyright your work, and then you can use the work you've actually done for clients to build your portfolio.

Go out, take plenty of photos and videos, do some editing, created a website, put your work on the website so potential clients can actually see what your quality of work is. No point giving a business card and say you can do drone footage. If you want to do real estate footage, you need to show you can fly around the house without crashing in to it, while taking a good video. ;)
Copyright your work, and then you can use the work you've actually done for clients to build your portfolio.
Brilliant advice. Currently studying for the part 107 test and it's actually kind of fun. I feel like a real life pilot even though I know that this test is literally like 0.0000000000000000001% of what you actually need to know to be a real pilot :).

I was also looking at website builders before I read your comment so I am ahead of the game it seems! My family's company uses wordpress, but my knowledge of HTML/CSS is very limited at the moment so I may use something like Wix or Squarespace. Still have to see which option is the cheapest/best so if you have any recommendations for a photography/videography portfolio website let me know. Shopify is another big platform, but I believe that is more ecommerce/marketplace oriented.

How do you think you get a portfolio? You practice by filming and editting. I don't think anybody implied all you have to do is fly your drone and the bucks will roll in. It's a lot of work and a difficult skill to master, but implying their is no money to be made in this industry is kind of ridiculous. I don't even have my part 107 license yet and I know several people who want me to film stuff for them and often times they tell me what they are willing to pay and to 21 year old me it's a lot of money for something I love doing.

I think it also depends on your location. I am located in a major city so lots of work, but not to much competition. Any city in California probably has a ton of demand, but extremely high competition so a market like that probably would be difficult to become profitable.

Just my two cents.

You get a portfolio by doing stuff on your own property and projects, and maybe friends and family who won't mind if its no very good, you can do stuff for free to clients if they do not like it they only pay you if they do thats what I did and 30 years later we employ 9 people and have worked very very hard to be the best at what we do

take loads of constructive criticism, learn to develop a thick skin oh and rejection

and for the record I never said there was no money in it you did

you my 2 pence worth (i'm in the UK) :)

You get a portfolio by doing stuff on your own property and projects, and maybe friends and family who won't mind if its no very good, you can do stuff for free to clients if they do not like it they only pay you if they do thats what I did and 30 years later we employ 9 people and have worked very very hard to be the best at what we do

take loads of constructive criticism, learn to develop a thick skin oh and rejection

and for the record I never said there was no money in it you did

you my 2 pence worth (i'm in the UK) :)
Makes sense. I am trying to figure out how to market myself as I feel like it is not a good idea to limit myself to aerial photography, but I see some people in the area do. I guess I will just go off word of mouth and family connections for the time being, but once I build my website this is going to be something that I have to figure out. Any advice is much appreciated.

have u got any links so we can watch some of your work u have made so far, either local or vacation footage, would luv to see some local footage from your area, small town kinda stuff.

1. Can you please tell me where you are getting your facts from? 2. Your implying I have never filmed/edited a video before in my life (p.s. this is far from the truth and I have actually posted a few videos on this forum that you could probably find). 3. Drones really haven't become mainstream until a few years ago... I didn't even see an actual drone until a few years ago when DJI became really popular. I am in information systems so I know my technology and like to keep up to date on just about everything (not saying drones haven't been around for longer than that, but you are saying that most editors/filmers/photographers my age have been using them since they were little (once again not true)
You're not helping anyone by giving them a view through rose colored glasses. Or your unrealistic ideal if what it takes.

Not going to watch that video because it is referring to drone businesses and I am at work. Drone company =/= media marketing company btw.

Who says we can't "handle" it...? We are simply replying to your statements and claiming that your facts are incorrect.

I am confused by this last statement. This is a forum post on an unofficial forum. Just because nobody that we know of with a professional and successful company has jumped in doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.... Also, just because the demand is high doesn't mean that the competition is high as well. Try telling that to my family's company that grosses ~$1 million annually from selling a product that is in relatively high demand, but we only have 2 competitors in the industry. Only stating this because you seem to think demand = competition and while their is some significant correlation, it isn't an end all be all way of calculating competition.

Lastly,
I STRONGLY recommend watching this video (
). It was uploaded by petermckinnon 3 hours ago and it addresses your first point. He talks about how he wasn't sure if he wanted to do YouTube because he was almost 30 and he thought he missed the YouTube gravy train so to speak, which is exactly what you are referring to with regards to drones specifically. I would argue that now is a perfect time to start a drone company before the FAA gets more strict.

I DO understand your point that it isn't going to be easy and their are certain realities that I will have to face, but I more or less don't appreciate your tone. You are making it sound like this is something impossible to do. I for one don't really care what you think, but I want others who are reading this that you should never not chase after your dreams because some stranger on the internet relentless tried to convince you otherwise. =]

1. Can you please tell me where you are getting your facts from? 2. Your implying I have never filmed/edited a video before in my life (p.s. this is far from the truth and I have actually posted a few videos on this forum that you could probably find). 3. Drones really haven't become mainstream until a few years ago... I didn't even see an actual drone until a few years ago when DJI became really popular. I am in information systems so I know my technology and like to keep up to date on just about everything (not saying drones haven't been around for longer than that, but you are saying that most editors/filmers/photographers my age have been using them since they were little (once again not true)
You're not helping anyone by giving them a view through rose colored glasses. Or your unrealistic ideal if what it takes.

Not going to watch that video because it is referring to drone businesses and I am at work. Drone company =/= media marketing company btw.

Who says we can't "handle" it...? We are simply replying to your statements and claiming that your facts are incorrect.

I am confused by this last statement. This is a forum post on an unofficial forum. Just because nobody that we know of with a professional and successful company has jumped in doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.... Also, just because the demand is high doesn't mean that the competition is high as well. Try telling that to my family's company that grosses ~$1 million annually from selling a product that is in relatively high demand, but we only have 2 competitors in the industry. Only stating this because you seem to think demand = competition and while their is some significant correlation, it isn't an end all be all way of calculating competition.

Lastly,
I STRONGLY recommend watching this video (
). It was uploaded by petermckinnon 3 hours ago and it addresses your first point. He talks about how he wasn't sure if he wanted to do YouTube because he was almost 30 and he thought he missed the YouTube gravy train so to speak, which is exactly what you are referring to with regards to drones specifically. I would argue that now is a perfect time to start a drone company before the FAA gets more strict.

I DO understand your point that it isn't going to be easy and their are certain realities that I will have to face, but I more or less don't appreciate your tone. You are making it sound like this is something impossible to do. I for one don't really care what you think, but I want others who are reading this that you should never not chase after your dreams because some stranger on the internet relentless tried to convince you otherwise. =]
Sir you nailed it...no need to argue with this guy...next time tell him "LOL(LOOK OUT LOOSER) you're on your way to success

You are really impressed with yourself...nothing teaches better than life experience...VERY PROUD TO BE THAT OLD...it's sad that your generation thinks if they haven't made a nitch for themselves by 15 yrs old that there chance of success is over...Sad, Sad, Sad,

is there any vids from the op, i am curious as to footage where he lives???

Perhaps others would take you more seriously if you changed your tone. Once again, I 100% understand what you are saying. What I have problem with is the fact that you seem to think everything you say is fact and nobody else is right. Telling a stranger like me that you are significantly more successful shows how stubborn you are. Success is relative to the individual and can not be measured. What you consider to be successful is most likely different than what a surfer living in a shack off the coast of Hawaii would consider. You are assuming quite a few things.

Perhaps others would take you more seriously if you changed your tone. Once again, I 100% understand what you are saying. What I have problem with is the fact that you seem to think everything you say is fact and nobody else is right. Telling a stranger like me that you are significantly more successful shows how stubborn you are. Success is relative to the individual and can not be measured. What you consider to be successful is most likely different than what a surfer living in a shack off the coast of Hawaii would consider. You are assuming quite a few things.
That was a GREAT analogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev