DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

strademarkworld

Reactions
Hi guys,

Recently I posted how big can you print out a photo from mavic pro 12mp, and I shown that was possible to get pretty good A3 sizes with good sharp under 30 cm far, which is amazing.
I got quite intrigued if would be possible to get bigger sizes, but you know, we run into technical issues like megapixels.

Now this process really works, but require some knowledge of Lightroom (LR) and Photoshop (PS).
I cant posting the photo so you can check yourselves (including metadata so you can see that is a Mavic pro file ) because the file is too big . but here is the link for download

name (1 of 1).jpg

First step : Mavic (probably works with spark also but I have to try)

Mode manual photo only (keep the ISO at 100 always, and try to bring the shutter speed as higher as possible to bring the sharpness at its limits) and choose one white balance (even if is wrong is ok)

Use raw not jpeg (in order to get the shadow/highlight recovery possible)

Mode of shooting sequence of 7(u can use aeb also but i recommend 7 to get better detail)

Shoot the same scene at the same spot 5 times (5 times x7 shots each =35 raw pictures)

In LR adjust shadow, highlight, distortion and sharpness of one of raw pictures and then sync with the other 34 photos. Adjustments should be equal to all photos.

Import to PS as layers . Align those layers (Edit- Auto Align Layers).
Convert in Smart Object
Then apply Stack Mode- Mean in the submenu Smart Objects.
Then Image-Image Size 200%

Close and save.
Bring back to LR and finalise changes.

Now its a long process, and may take a while because requires computer processing, but it works. Its not a gimmick, and a A1 size can be printed easily with tremendous sharpness.

Hope you like it :)

I m not sure if would be possible. even using Corel was not possible i had to use LR and PS. gud luck.
If u can , i can guarantee that the results are astonishing

Hi guys,

Recently I posted how big can you print out a photo from mavic pro 12mp, and I shown that was possible to get pretty good A3 sizes with good sharp under 30 cm far, which is amazing.
I got quite intrigued if would be possible to get bigger sizes, but you know, we run into technical issues like megapixels.

Now this process really works, but require some knowledge of Lightroom (LR) and Photoshop (PS).
I cant posting the photo so you can check yourselves (including metadata so you can see that is a Mavic pro file ) because the file is too big . but here is the link for download

name (1 of 1).jpg

First step : Mavic (probably works with spark also but I have to try)

Mode manual photo only (keep the ISO at 100 always, and try to bring the shutter speed as higher as possible to bring the sharpness at its limits) and choose one white balance (even if is wrong is ok)

Use raw not jpeg (in order to get the shadow/highlight recovery possible)

Mode of shooting sequence of 7(u can use aeb also but i recommend 7 to get better detail)

Shoot the same scene at the same spot 5 times (5 times x7 shots each =35 raw pictures)

In LR adjust shadow, highlight, distortion and sharpness of one of raw pictures and then sync with the other 34 photos. Adjustments should be equal to all photos.

Import to PS as layers . Align those layers (Edit- Auto Align Layers).
Convert in Smart Object
Then apply Stack Mode- Mean in the submenu Smart Objects.
Then Image-Image Size 200%

Close and save.
Bring back to LR and finalise changes.

Now its a long process, and may take a while because requires computer processing, but it works. Its not a gimmick, and a A1 size can be printed easily with tremendous sharpness.

Hope you like it :)

This technique really does work well but I think you missed an essential step. Before you stack and process the images you need to upsample first, typically by a factor of 2 or so - otherwise the only significant gain is noise reduction. If your final step (image size 200%) was intended to achieve that then it will not work - it has to happen before the stack is averaged.

This technique really does work well but I think you missed an essential step. Before you stack and process the images you need to upsample first, typically by a factor of 2 or so - otherwise the only significant gain is noise reduction. If your final step (image size 200%) was intended to achieve that then it will not work - it has to happen before the stack is averaged.
Thanks for that..try urself..it does works ;). check my sample

Can you confirm that this process is perfect for large format printing of horizontal panoramas? If so then this is the process I want to use to print out some glorious shots.

What format is usually best to provide to the person/ company that will be printing out images of this sort?

Can you confirm that this process is perfect for large format printing of horizontal panoramas? If so then this is the process I want to use to print out some glorious shots.

What format is usually best to provide to the person/ company that will be printing out images of this sort?

For panoramas you will need to take multiple shots of each element of the panorama, process those first, and then stitch together. I've used it for that too, and it does work very well.

the issue with panorama is that we are talking about (let say that you panorama has 3 sections ) you will have to take 35 photos of each section. if is mountains or static things and NOT WINDY, works , but is a much longer process once that we are talking minimum of 100 photos.

the issue with panorama is that we are talking about (let say that you panorama has 3 sections ) you will have to take 35 photos of each section. if is mountains or static things and NOT WINDY, works , but is a much longer process once that we are talking minimum of 100 photos.

With panoramas I've generally cheated and used fewer photos. Even a single set of 7 burst images produces a very noticeable improvement. Not as good as 35, of course.

Reactions: strademarkworld

btw, you asked about printing . i use Saal in Germany..I m based in Ireland

Reactions: radman
I wonder how different LR is to director suite ?
That’s impressive though.
See the ant near the window
;-)

I wonder how different LR is to director suite ?
That’s impressive though.
See the ant near the window
;-)

as long as u have stack modes and alignment in ur software u should be able to do..now u need (if adobe) both lr and ps..just LR is not possible to get there..it is quite a jump..i want to expand the tests now to something more complicated ..AEB + 35 shots, to see what i can get. I guess ISO 50 and high dynamic range of 14 bits? Let see

I’ll look forward to your post. I can’t start till I get my job finished (probably in 4 days) as this sort of computer work does eat up a lot of time. Is this along your type of work ?

I’ll look forward to your post. I can’t start till I get my job finished (probably in 4 days) as this sort of computer work does eat up a lot of time. Is this along your type of work ?
before have a drone i worked with photos for 8 years. right now i m doing architecture photography, so this techniques are not new by any means..they are very well known in photography.

This is my hobby. I treat water used when mining/tunnelling hence, the name.
Maybe take the drone but it will have to be approved, I’ll find out

i, me again
so I tried do a panorama with the same technique..
I m running into issues with processing that amount of information (i have a mac air 8gb I5). I quite sure that with better computational power u can get really big panoramas, whoever, here you have a 70mp panorama resulting from the same technique but instead of 35 files i m using just 15 for each photo

name (1 of 1)-2.jpg

and here a comparison of original file (blue) and final result (warmer)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.23.06.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.23.06.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
8705174c576382e59f038e60f413944e.jpg
fdbab2b96ae70d713f597a4ab9bb7773.jpg

Proof of concept : A1 size printed of a drone picture 38 morning this time ( had to crop the picture a little ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000