DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illegal Flight Over Stadium

I thought this was a post about the flight over yesterday's premier league football match in the UK when the match was actually suspended as the drone came down really low (like "inside" the stadium, not above it).
Different thread on here re that UK flight.
This is about the video in post 1 (if still live, should be), at a US football game.

Shouldn't be hard to find him. At 48 seconds into the video, he's in it. He's in an aisle seat dressed in a trenchcoat. There are 2 guys beside him in the aisle. Lower centre of the screen. He actually waves at his drone at one point. Seat #?

Shouldn't be hard to find him. At 48 seconds into the video, he's in it. He's in an aisle seat dressed in a trenchcoat. There are 2 guys beside him in the aisle. Lower centre of the screen. He actually waves at his drone at one point. Seat #?
I doubt you have found him. If you mean this chap he seems to be getting a sweet or something.

Can't see anyone being that stupid that they would take off and land from within a crowded stadium.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-23 194257.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-23 194257.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 21
The opening shots seem to be approaching from high and outside the arena, so I would think they've flown from a nearby take off point.

Is it possible he had access to a high rise roof area in the nearby business district ?
Could explain how he got so low and kept controller signal ok.

I expect though it was just dumb luck there, as security at such buildings would be quite high I would think.

He seems to have approached the stadium from many different directions in the several opening shots, so hard to say which was the flights originating direction . . . if the first frame, then that would be roughly from the NE.

What we need is a flight log !! 🤣;)

Those who are not familiar with the area, the red spots are possible launch locations, in public spots. The Bengals stadium is the one on the middle left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-092945_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-092945_Maps.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
Those who are not familiar with the area, the red spots are possible launch locations, in public spots. The Bengals stadium is the one on the middle left.
First off thank you for sharing that graphic. That helps to visualize it a lot better :)

But all of those are illegal under the TFR and when he flew below the top edge of the stadium he was no longer VLOS of the aircraft. Not to mention over people . . . .

Reactions: heightened_imagery
But all of those are illegal under the TFR and when he flew below the top edge of the stadium he was no longer VLOS of the aircraft. Not to mention over people . . . .
Agreed, but we already know he violated the TFR. Devou Park in Northern Kentucky might be able to maintain VLOS (barely) but that's even inside the TFR.

Im just giving some information to users who aren't familiar with this area.

Reactions: BigAl07
Agreed, but we already know he violated the TFR. Devou Park in Northern Kentucky might be able to maintain VLOS (barely) but that's even inside the TFR.

Im just giving some information to users who aren't familiar with this area.

Sorry but I think I was doing my edit after you had quoted my previous post. I appreciate the insight you provided :)

Reactions: heightened_imagery
I know the red spots highlight public areas but he could have taken off from any number of open air parking lots where people tailgate. If those were included, practically the entire bottom half of your screens hit would be red.

Would also like to point out that you can't determine the origin of the flight just based on the video because we don't know when he started recording. If I recall correctly, the beginning of the video shows him heading roughly ESE so the recording stated (assuming no post flight editing) somewhere West and slightly North of the stadium. But again, that doesn't mean that is where he took off from.

From our local news and people I have talked to there were a lot of people in the stadium who saw the drone.

I will reach out to the guy who leads our local FB group to see if he has any additional info that has not been presented here. He was interview last week on the local news but I did not see the broadcast.
The opening shots seem to be approaching from high and outside the arena, so I would think they've flown from a nearby take off point.

Is it possible he had access to a high rise roof area in the nearby business district ?
Could explain how he got so low and kept controller signal ok.

I expect though it was just dumb luck there, as security at such buildings would be quite high I would think.

He seems to have approached the stadium from many different directions in the several opening shots, so hard to say which was the flights originating direction . . . if the first frame, then that would be roughly from the NE.

What we need is a flight log !! 🤣;)
There are plenty of apartment/condo buildings with balconies and rooftop access as well as other buildings probably rooftop access. To your point, a high place like that would be more likely than the myriad of open air parking lots that I suggested in my other Reply.

I know the red spots highlight public areas but he could have taken off from any number of open air parking lots where people tailgate. If those were included, practically the entire bottom half of your screens hit would be red.
Sigh...
Again, I only posted the ones that I know people frequently launch from. And I never stated that I had an exact clue where the launch point was, only suggestions.

A thought just occurred, could one of those guys that throw the ball down the field have hit this drone? Obviously I do not know anything about the game lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31