DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inexpensive Landing Pad

gjmphoto

Reactions
Folks...being a photographer, I have a lot of extra equipment laying around. It happens I had an old beaten up reflector (foldable). So I converted it to be a launching pad by using four binder clips with four fishing weights attached. I put a uni-directional pattern on the surface using black gorilla tape and, voila, my Mavic finds it perfectly.

I noticed that B&H has a flash sale (today - Sunday, 7/22 - only) on 32" reflectors (Link) for $20 which would work just fine. So for something like $25, you can have a great little portable landing pad with a bag.

Here are some photos of mine and the detail on the binder clip.
20180722_145731.jpg 20180722_145756.jpg

- Gary

PGYTECH makes this landing pad out of similar materials. They are 30", come in bright orange/blue (flip over to change the color), and have stakes to pin the landing pad to the ground if needed. At $14, it's another inexpensive landing pad option to consider.
LandingPad.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you certainly cannot beat free ;)

people might consider using the binder clips with that one as well...since you can't always stake into the ground.
The binder clips with the weights is a great idea! I've never seen that one before.

Reactions: daasmangi and HDBOB
I found the cheap pads just don’t work good for me. You have to stake them down, and if the ground is hard, good luck. Hoodman is the way to go. It has a weight that runs along the outer edge. Never moves around from prop wash, or blows away in the wind.

Attachments

• 363974A6-49E6-4537-B174-2B1E36A7BFC5.jpeg
    363974A6-49E6-4537-B174-2B1E36A7BFC5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
I found the cheap pads just don’t work good for me. You have to stake them down, and if the ground is hard, good luck. Hoodman is the way to go. It has a weight that runs along the outer edge. Never moves around from prop wash, or blows away in the wind.
I can't speak for the staked ones...but with a photo reflector (which are made with excellent materials), the binder clips and fishing weights, it goes nowhere. It would take a huge wind to budge this thing...more than you'd want to fly in!

Reactions: LEO_Pilot
PGYTECH makes this landing pad out of similar materials. They are 30", come in bright orange/blue (flip over to change the color), and have stakes to pin the landing pad to the ground if needed. At $14, it's another inexpensive landing pad option to consider.

View attachment 42505

I have the same one and it works great, but a floor mat from my car works just as good in a pinch

Folks...being a photographer, I have a lot of extra equipment laying around. It happens I had an old beaten up reflector (foldable). So I converted it to be a launching pad by using four binder clips with four fishing weights attached. I put a uni-directional pattern on the surface using black gorilla tape and, voila, my Mavic finds it perfectly.

I noticed that B&H has a flash sale (today - Sunday, 7/22 - only) on 32" reflectors (Link) for $20 which would work just fine. So for something like $25, you can have a great little portable landing pad with a bag.

Here are some photos of mine and the detail on the binder clip.
View attachment 42503 View attachment 42504

- Gary
Very nice idea, clever with the fishing weights.

View attachment 42505

I have this same one and it is very cheap to buy and does the job very well . I paid 14 bucks and free shipping

I now prefer hand launching/landing but have used my car's floor mat as a pad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
I got a private question regarding what I meant by "a Uni-Directional Pattern" on the face of the disk, so I figured I'd answer it generally. The pattern that I put on the pad can only be oriented in one direction. Unlike the "H" and circle, which could be viewed upside down without a difference, the triangle with one of its legs doubled removes any doubt as to orientation. I hoped this would make it even easier for the sensors to gain alignment on landing.
Disk Pattern.jpg

The Fishing weight concept is cool tho it pull the landing pads to ground and will not easily be disarrange.Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000