DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

The hidden message is the sentence right in front of your quote: "will release new versions"
Followed by: "will have to activate"
Sorry, that's your interpretation coming to a conclusion which is not being stated. I however am reading exactly what is stated because what reason would I as customer have to assume what is meant is different than what is said?

Did everyone not receive the email from DJI that contained more info on this update? In that email it stated the re activation procedure is needed if ( there is the operatve word) it has the firmware update. I dont think anyone is arguing that you will have to go through this if you update. The mis informatoin is about if you are forced to update and I have yet to find any evidence to support that claim

I read the email. The email was several days ago whereas the alert in the app is today. Call me stupid and paranoid, but my life experience dictates that the most recent information would be the most accurate information.

Reactions: wayy510
This could continue all day but I think we honestly need to be patient and see how this all pans out in the end. It's just too early now to predict how this will end up. -CF

Reactions: Nikon1
I read the email. The email was several days ago whereas the alert in the app is today. Call me stupid and paranoid, but my life experience dictates that the most recent information would be the most accurate information.

I've been getting the app notification for the last 5 to 7 days - every time I open the app on my iPad and connect my Mavic.

I find it comical what people are willing to let companies get away with.
I doubt anyone would resist DJI boning up on their communication skills. The thought that anyone would want that is pretty comical too.

Did everyone not receive the email from DJI that contained more info on this update? In that email it stated the re activation procedure is needed if ( there is the operatve word) it has the firmware update. I dont think anyone is arguing that you will have to go through this if you update. The mis informatoin is about if you are forced to update and I have yet to find any evidence to support that claim
I agree, that's how I interpreted the email too. Which brings us back to DJI's communication flaws... -CF

Not for me, i first got the alert in the app, that was Saturday out flying, only after that i got the email, on Monday.

All DJI GO and firmware updates are optional. You can keep everything as-is now and continue to run offline forever if you'd like.
They stopped everyone using DJI Go over Go4 pretty decisively - with no choice but to comply.
The statement put out is at best ambiguous, and in any case what right have they to practically brick your Mavic if you don't do what they say months after purchase.
If some all new arrangement is on the cards it should be a completely new app and firmware update and it should be made abundantly clear it's up to you whether to proceed or not - with no penalty if you wish to stay where you are.

Some now say this mess is due to DJI's communication flaws /// Sorry I'm not buying it !!!
The way DJI communicates is part of there way of doing business there wording gives them PAUSEABLE DENIABILITY
and at the same time, see how the consumer reacts , this is purposely being done .
DJI is an international company and the biggest for a while now , All major company's improve there communications in all areas as they grow !!
DJI is not an exception to the rule /// Think about it !!!

They stopped everyone using DJI Go over Go4 pretty decisively - with no choice but to comply.
Right, but that was made possible because people either connected to the Internet and/or continued to upgrade to the point where those new hooks were put into place. This is a great example though. People switched to DJI GO 4 and the negative impact was.... nothing.

People hate change. This conversation always starts up when DJI makes changes. It's inevitable.

I have 2 Mavic's. I have been waiting to update the one I use daily, I will probably do it next week. I will deliberately not update my spare and see what happens. The Ipad I use is common to both so I am wondering if there will be a conflict when I break out the one that I don't update and try to use it with my ipad app that will have been updated.

I say lets wait on the update and see if anybody brave enough to do it and report it here if the update is good or not. Right now we are only arguing about over speculations and not facts yet.

I do not believe they can force you to update to the newer version, that we are all assuming will then restrict your flights till you activate and have an online connection. However, if you fly under 107, part of the requirements are to keep up to date with the latest firmware, so maybe you could run into an issue with that if anything happens.

Some now say this mess is due to DJI's communication flaws /// Sorry I'm not buying it !!!
The way DJI communicates is part of there way of doing business there wording gives them PAUSEABLE DENIABILITY
and at the same time, see how the consumer reacts , this is purposely being done .
DJI is an international company and the biggest for a while now , All major company's improve there communications in all areas as they grow !!

100% DJI isn't stupid on purpose, just like their fake intentional misspellinnings here and there... its all an elaborate act.
Just look at who they hired for chief legal counsel.

Plausible deniability is the name of the game
And lets them shift positions by purposefully being vague

DJI should get the heck out of politics.

I say lets wait on the update and see if anybody brave enough to do it and report it here if the update is good or not. Right now we are only arguing about over speculations and not facts yet.
Absolutely! Lets wait until the first reports from updated users starts rolling in and then we will have actual facts to duke it out over. In the meantime I have a set of new filters to try out and its a beautiful morning here in the desert.:)

DJI has million dollar lawyers and council, they know exactly what they are saying and how to communicate.

This for me isn't about hating DJI. Their product is second to none.

It isn't about what device I am using, or whether or not this newest software of firmware will be better or worse.

I think for many it is about giving up control of your, legally bought and paid for, Mavic.

By their approach on this, it is apparent that they intend to remain fully in control of how and where you will use your (their) product. If at some point in time they decide to render it useless, they can.

Would they ever decide to do that? I hope not. But they are making it clear, with this update that they CAN, at any time of their choosing.

I am among those, uncomfortable with that.

EDIT: And if we ever found ourselves in a dispute or conflict with China, we'd probably all have expensive paperweights soon thereafter. LOL!

Edit: Originally posted in another thread, but it seemed pertinent here.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman