DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

Why are there people here so convinced that if they do update then their Mavic will be a completly different machine from the one they bought? That it will have reduced capabilities. Have you guys actually seen whats in the firmware? Im not saying it wont have bugs but some make it sound like you're sure that DJIs purpose of this firmware is to reduce the Mavics capabilities.
Because DJI itself sails so...
"...You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high...."

True but I do not recall having agreed to them changing the capabilities of the product at will. No?

As for the second part mighty as they may be (due to lack of competition), lets not forget that, there have been cases, where people took to court companies far more powerful than DJI.

They are not changing the capabilities whatsoever.

It's people like yourself that will get drobes\quadcopters banned all over the world. That's bad for us and bad for DJI.

Stop complaining, fly where you are allowed and your Magic will work and perform as it should do.

This is a completely different case. Because at the moment you buy the product you agree to its capabilities. And there DJI cant be blamed.

Yes it´s different, but still a fact that many new buyers will consider himself getting an inferior drone if he has a firmware that is inferior in any way compared to the earlier firmwares and if he has no way to revert back to the functions and ways it was on the older firmwares, but maybe that will be possible with a firmware downgrade even in this case?

It would be nice to have the option as a new drone buyer to be able to have your drone the same way as people who has bought their drones earlier with earlier firmwares.

But sure when it comes to the Terms of agreement it´s not the same thing since he has accepted the terms for the current way the firmware is.

Reactions: MacPap
"...You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high...."

So login, register the update and any restrictions will be lifted. What exactly is the problem?

And don't forget: Once you upgrade, there will be no way back! No downgrade possible. They are not leaving you any real option. That's just a notice for what to come.

The problem being the changes implemented, which we will discover AFTER the registration, and nobody from DJI is willing to clearly state, explain or disclose BEFORE.

Who says they are changing anything? Only the conspiracy theorists that seem to frequent this forum.

It's very clear to me that they are ensuring everybody has up to date NFZ'S. THATS ALL.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
And don't forget: Once you upgrade, there will be no way back! No downgrade possible. They are not leaving you any real option. That's just a notice for what to come.

It would be really nice if DJI just stated what it is that they plan to do rather than sticking to the line that all the rumors are false and that we should just trust DJI. The whole idea of that has no real credibility because the Mavic itself was launched and sold in a manor that was borderline criminal!
They took my money for over a month and delivered nothing. I had to request a refund after they rinsed my cash for 30 days.
After that I should trust them?

Rob

Reactions: MacPap and wayy510
If you dont re activate it after the update. There seem to be some who think even after re activation it will still have reduced capabilities. 400 ft celings and line of sight rules were in place before the Mavic came out yet it will go miles out and up to 1640 feet. Why would they change it now?

Based on the original post..... This would follow then, that if DJI ADD new features to the system, that were not there when you initially purchased, then you are going to call up DJI and pay them more money as its beyond the original specification???

I dont think so!!

Give it time, there is something cooking,might be months before we see all the changes this update does.

Reactions: wayy510

It's people like yourself that will get drobes\quadcopters banned all over the world. That's bad for us and bad for DJI.

Stop complaining, fly where you are allowed and your Magic will work and perform as it should do.

And what exactly gives you the idea that I fly illegaly and the right of accusing me of being illegal??

On the other hand one could argue that it is people like thee. allways answering with a "yes Master" that got us here in the first place.

Reactions: Forrest and wayy510
I guess that possible upcoming events, like drones crashing in busy streets, annoying the general public etc, will decide how strict the rules for operating them eventually will become. As a keen model airplane pilot operating in a club, I am concerned over the future of my beloved hobby. All kinds of flying "toys" could easily be generalized by bureaucrats, and eventually be banned. An example of how ridiculous things can get, would be that in my country (Norway) skateboards were completely banned from 1978 to 1989...

From the viewpoint of a drone manufacturer, I can imagine the balancing act between making the drone an interesting product to the buyers, and at the same time not so "dangerous" that a few careless users could have it banned altogether.

I trust that DJI is not at all interested in making their products unsellable due to lacking functionality. And I believe that it is the few careless pilots that eventually will decide how this is going to end.

I love my Mavic, looking forward to flying in formation with a club mate's FPV plane.

Firstly, something I think we can all agree on.

The recent DJI update statements are designed to be misleading. Making the average user think they *have* to upgrade to avoid being restricted. This is simply to try and ensure as may users as possible agree to the new conditions.

Is this underhand? Well, yes, but this is not new, or unique to DJI - advertisers and politicians do it all the time.

Example : "Germ X may be a cause of heart disease. Fact: Product Y kills 99% of Germ X"

The implication is "Product Y saves you from heart disease" - that is not want is actually being said and is therefore legally deniable.

DJI, having hit us with a "Stick" - might later also try the "Carrot" - The next "trick" with probably be to add some great new features to further entice us to upgrade and agree with the new terms.

Again, is this underhand? Debatable.

But we need to take step back - why Dji they doing this? What business gain do they get by doing this? The answer must be - to keep a viable market for them to operate in. The more restrictions on drones - the smaller their target market. Self preservation.

I like thee car analogy mentioned earlier: Buy a nice new 155mph car, then get told by the dealer that they will be fitting a 70mph speed limiter to the car at your next service. (you don't *have* to get them to service it). Most owners would be furious - even if they don't intend to break the speed limit - and quite rightly so.

But what if governments were so worried about high speed accidents that they were debating a blanket speed limit of 50mph? or banning cars altogether . If the car manufactures demonstrate how it is almost "forcing" all its users to drive under 70mp - it makes a good case for self regulation rather than government's heavy handed legislation. Maybe the car industry could survive.

After all, who would you rather make the rules for where/how we fly? The manufacture who wants to sell everyone more drones or the government who wants to make the majority of drone-scared voters happy.

The safety needs of the many out weigh the pleasure needs of the few.

Last edited:
Good grief... reading all this stuff about this update has my head spinning. Lol I've always lived my life with the belief that if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. I'm 56 years old and that philosophy hasn't burned me yet. Sooooooooo.... here's my real question, it's Labor Day weekend here in the States and I plan on taking my drone with me out to our country cabin. Does anyone know when is exactly (other than end of week which could be Friday or Saturday or Sunday) is this update to take effect. Just trying to figure out if I will need to deal with this sometime during the holiday weekend. :)

Not taking a huge company's BS is going to get drones banned? Great logic. What should he do if he feels it's wrong? Just sit back and take it?

It's people like you who actually make things worse by letting big money corporations and government walk all over you and tell you how things will be done. Some people don't hold that position and actually still believe in their rights as a consumer and citizen.

I bet you're someone who believes in "free speech zones" too and are perfectly ok with it.

Maybe companies like Apple and DJI should determine all our laws as they're a huge companies and know what's best for us little idiots that buy all their toys to keep ourselves busy and happy so we don't notice our right going out the window.

Don't complain to loudly MacPap, you'll get our toys banned! Great logic.

If only people put as much energy in appeasing every rule the FAA, DJI, and any other regulatory entities as they would standing up for their rights, we would not have idiotic regulations and companies that think they can do what they wish.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned a number of times in this thread, the key to (hopefully) avoid any issues, you just need to stay offline and don't upgrade, as DJI indicated in their email that was sent out. I have hi-lited the pertinent section here.

Copied from the DJI email

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

As has been mentioned a number of times in this thread, the key to (hopefully) avoid any issues, you just need to stay offline and don't upgrade, as DJI indicated in their email that was sent out. I have hi-lited the pertinent section here.

Copied from the DJI email

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

With all do respect the "try to not update" is not possible.
You have to update, to get latest software fixes, bug fixes. Even if you are facing a problem DJI would tell you to update to make sure your problem is not caused from any software glitch in one of their previous app version or firmware.

In a few years from now, iOS 11 or iOS 12 will not support today's version of DJI GO 4 app, hence an update will be forced.

Reactions: MacPap and wayy510
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_