DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic goes swimming or lands on cargo ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not exactly sure it wasn’t docked yet, I know the coast guard can dock a ship if they think there’s a problem, when I used to live in Astoria Oregon I knew a old fisherman that said something about the people on board not needing a passport as long as they stay on board because they technically were not in the USA the entire ship is under the law of whatever country’s flag they are flying! Don’t take anything I say to be 100% because again maritime law is complex and make my head spin! Lol, it’s like the drone laws are becoming, it’s better to play it safe than to have a nightmare scenario come out of something innocent.
If you watch Border Security, it appears that once the ship is docked, it technically is open to inspection by border security officials. Again, a complex issue. So as long as your MP was on the ship while it was still anchored in the bay, you would have an issue. Once it was docked, things get a little different. Hard to say what comes into play at this point because then the customs and immigration folks have legal access to the ship, once docked in port.

It sounds like he needs flying lessons considering all his crashes. And being as "lucky" as he's been the odds are stacking up against him with every new crash

I notice a big change in altitude between your two examples.Must have burned lots of battery on that extra 580 foot of climbing.

Amazing... hey as long as no one thinks the extra batterys are drugs (pods full of drugs) you will be ok... and good thing they didn't think they were C4 either....... That wouldn't be an international incident.... That would be a nice local bomb squad response..

Reactions: Classic flyer
Amazing... hey as long as no one thinks the extra batterys are drugs (pods full of drugs) you will be ok... and good thing they didn't think they were C4 either....... That wouldn't be an international incident.... That would be a nice local bomb squad response..
It is amazing...that whole situation could have gone bad in so many ways

Reactions: Callum
Oh so close!!
If you had shot for the forecastle instead of traveling toward the Helo pad.....you could've down gimbled and sat it on the bow.
If a frog had wings right? At least you accomplished "where no man has gone before"...sorry you lost your bird. Get another one and stay closer to home bro. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Can't tell by the video, looks like you might have been short, funny how your video just happens to stop before showing a crash or safe landing.

I think the impact with something may have knocked the drone out maybe the batteries got jarred? That could be why the one lead was disconnected?

****, I did not realize we had so many Debbie downers on the forum.

congratulations you have great luck, keep on doing what you do @zaceshighz !!

Only thing you loss was the ability to join me and Maclak Lost a mavic in the bay club. I lost a mavic Chesapeake Bay outside of the Baltimore harbor flying out 50K and came up 1200 feet short with no ship the land on.

Attachments

• 48E7353D-5D3F-47C6-BC07-8E4EA9C2F208.png
    48E7353D-5D3F-47C6-BC07-8E4EA9C2F208.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 1A18E017-9F49-4A0E-BB04-48CBC33D9321.png
    1A18E017-9F49-4A0E-BB04-48CBC33D9321.png
    1 MB · Views: 69
The captain said they contacted the coast guard who just told them to hold onto it in case someone was looking for it. Glad they didn't freak out about it. The security guard was talking about drug smuggling. I was like wow... didn't even think of that.

Yea someone could use a drone to offload drugs or worse while it’s anchored out there, the captain may not even know, people are getting creative there’s issues with drones being used to drop drugs and weapons into prisons.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I think the impact with something may have knocked the drone out maybe the batteries got jarred? That could be why the one lead was disconnected?

It was sooooooooo close, I'm betting it came down right on top of the handrail and luckily flipped over onto the deck. The impact with the rail might be the cause of the disconnected battery cable.

****, I did not realize we had so many Debbie downers on the forum.

congratulations you have great luck, keep on doing what you do @zaceshighz !!

Only thing you loss was the ability to join me and Maclak Lost a mavic in the bay club. I lost a mavic Chesapeake Bay outside of the Baltimore harbor flying out 50K and came up 1200 feet short with no ship the land on.
Man that is rough. I see you turned around at 60%. That's pretty conservative. Did you have a bad headwind coming back?

May have just shut off due to low voltage. That or blocked signal from the ship. I just took it out over the water again trying to see how my range is with this current setup. I was about 28k feet out and a huge ship went between me and the Mavic and I lost all signal instantly.

Oh so close!!
If you had shot for the forecastle instead of traveling toward the Helo pad.....you could've down gimbled and sat it on the bow.
If a frog had wings right? At least you accomplished "where no man has gone before"...sorry you lost your bird. Get another one and stay closer to home bro. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
So many people posting before reading that I actually made it and got it back.

It was sooooooooo close, I'm betting it came down right on top of the handrail and luckily flipped over onto the deck. The impact with the rail might be the cause of the disconnected battery cable.
I'm pretty sure it cleared the rail and made a normal but hard landing based on the damage.

I notice a big change in altitude between your two examples.Must have burned lots of battery on that extra 580 foot of climbing.
If you read the whole thread you will see that the issue was that I hadn't soldered the connectors on the external batteries and one of them came lose early in the flight. When I got it back, one of the externals was almost at full charge still. But yeah I had to climb a bunch on that run cause I was over land.

Reactions: Billb9
If you read the whole thread you will see that the issue was that I hadn't soldered the connectors on the external batteries and one of them came lose early in the flight. When I got it back, one of the externals was almost at full charge still. But yeah I had to climb a bunch on that run cause I was over land.
The sloppy workmanship combined with your lack of flying skills = DISASTER

Man that is rough. I see you turned around at 60%. That's pretty conservative. Did you have a bad headwind coming back?

I got hit with some bad Crosswinds, which Kept knocking me off of my direct path home. I should’ve just used RTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nilesh