DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoodGuy

Reactions
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Flying_for_fun_EN-V6.pdf

Transport Canada is relaxing its restrictions on recreational drone users -- eliminating rules for pilots on how close they can fly the devices around animals, buildings, and other structures.
The updated safety measures also shrink the distance that some unmanned aerial vehicles must keep from people, vehicles, vessels, helipads and airports.
Under the new rules, drones that weigh more than 250 grams, but less than one kilogram, must keep at least 30 metres away from vehicles, vessels, and people, instead of the previous 75 metres.
Operators are now allowed to fly within 5.5 kilometres of airports and within 1.8 kilometres of aerodromes used exclusively by helicopters, down from the previous nine-kilometre restriction for both.

Well, fortunately for me I live in a remote community and only fly my Mavic in the boonies. Good luck trying to make me get insurance, since the only person/property my drone can injure will be me/mine. But this is bad news for the rest of the drone community. Turns out Canada has become the worst country in the world in which to fly a drone. Who knew?

Last edited:
Please do a little more research before you post stuff like this. THESE RESTRICTIONS ARE **PROPOSED**, NOT IN EFFECT.

The category setup is not even in effect yet. The link provided by OP is most accurate and up to date.

I DID do my research mate, and I NEVER said it was PASSED. I was updating this thread to point out the Upcoming regulations that are PROPOSED and will become effective early 2018. The OP link is the most accurate for the PASSED rules, but beware of these upcoming ones that people may not realize are coming in.

I DID do my research mate, and I NEVER said it was PASSED. I was updating this thread to point out the Upcoming regulations that are PROPOSED and will become effective early 2018. The OP link is the most accurate for the PASSED rules, but beware of these upcoming ones that people may not realize are coming in.
I understand that but the way you worded your response, almost sounded like you were stating OP missed to include your link as part of the PASSED rules. Regardless, I can't wait to have more freedom flying my drone. Hopefully the insurance isn't as much as that article states...

Well Canada is definitely an over regulated country. As far as enforcement is concerned I can tell you the RCMP or municipal departments are busy enough with real crime to have start to enforce these new laws. However, as with other things in life, you'll pay if and when you get caught, especially if harm or damage is caused. Charges would be unlikely, again unless life or limb is involved, as these laws are federal and would require charges going to court by way of summons vs tickets which are straight Provincial summary conviction offences. If one uses common sense in where, when and in what weather they fly in, hopefully the worst case scenarios can be avoided.

Reactions: InsaneShane
Well Canada is definitely an over regulated country. As far as enforcement is concerned I can tell you the RCMP or municipal departments are busy enough with real crime to have start to enforce these new laws. However, as with other things in life, you'll pay if and when you get caught, especially if harm or damage is caused. Charges would be unlikely, again unless life or limb is involved, as these laws are federal and would require charges going to court by way of summons vs tickets which are straight Provincial summary conviction offences. If one uses common sense in where, when and in what weather they fly in, hopefully the worst case scenarios can be avoided.
Spot on man [emoji1419] just gotta be careful and do your part to make sure no harm is done. Also flying over restricted or private property. Unless some ******* is having a bad day and decides to ruin your, as long as you're careful you should be good.

Well, when it comes to enforcement, I really would love to see them come out to enforce it where I live (Small Island off the North BC Coast). Funny part is that the RCMP where I live in Northern BC, a few of them have drones and we goof around with each other in the air (races and such) Biggest thing that he even said about the laws is to follow a simple rule. Don't be a d!ck and use common sense. Don't fly where you know you shouldn't or use your drone for things you should not be using it for (spying on people) He even said that it would be very hard for them to enforce and when they do enforce it, it will be against someone that is being a dumb ****. Now he did say that Mavic Pro has a huge advantage....it is a stealthy, hard to see, quiet, and once you have it RTB, you fold it up and it can fit in your pocket (As long as you have a decent sized pocket). You are able to be incognito and slip away from places without drawing attention that you have a drone, unlike if you have a Phantom 4

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Flying_for_fun_EN-V6.pdf

Transport Canada is relaxing its restrictions on recreational drone users -- eliminating rules for pilots on how close they can fly the devices around animals, buildings, and other structures.
The updated safety measures also shrink the distance that some unmanned aerial vehicles must keep from people, vehicles, vessels, helipads and airports.
Under the new rules, drones that weigh more than 250 grams, but less than one kilogram, must keep at least 30 metres away from vehicles, vessels, and people, instead of the previous 75 metres.
Operators are now allowed to fly within 5.5 kilometres of airports and within 1.8 kilometres of aerodromes used exclusively by helicopters, down from the previous nine-kilometre restriction for both.

d7a4bccb3fd9e617d7d08af51f16a594.jpg

This image from TP downloaded Dec. 17, 2017

G’day all from Sydney, Australia.
I’m a relatively new Mavic Pro owner (still learning lots) and a long-time lurker on this forum.

I love the collective wisdom here and really appreciate all the tips and traps you guys post.
Thanks also to everyone who posts amazing footage.

I am holidaying in Canada in mid June and considering taking my Mavic with me, I will only have a limited time to use it.
I know there are proposed rule changes coming regarding basic testing and the requirement for PL insurance.
Does anyone have any idea when the proposed rules will come into effect?
Can anyone shed some light on where/how I might get PL insurance, do I really need to have it?

I think I understand all the other ‘rules’ that apply, I just don’t want to spoil a good holiday.

Thanks!

Greetings!

I wish you a great trip here in Canada - it's a beautiful country and you will love the scenery from the ground and the air!

The link to the most up to date rules and regulations for drone flying are at Transport Canada, and are (no, this is not spam):

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html#flying

And no, you do not (yet) require insurance to the best of my knowledge.

Fly safe. Fly smart. And you'll be fine!

I suggest the AirMap app as well so you can see where you can fly on a map. However,depending on where u are visiting, a city/town may have their own rules. Where I live in calgary,there’s virtually no available area to fly within city boundaries as a recreational flyer.

I’ve never used the dji map for that purpose,but do use airmap,which I find quite good. There’s no reason not to use dji map,just that I personally recommend airmap because I use it....I’m sure dji is ok too

I get using AirMap, but the DJI map is accurate for DJI drones. There are discrepancies between the two mapping systems, and DJI is the one that rules for their drones.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61