DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I get using AirMap, but the DJI map is accurate for DJI drones. There are discrepancies between the two mapping systems, and DJI is the one that rules for their drones.
So let me get this straight... the DJI map is more comprehensive than airmap? Or are u saying it’s just more accurately showing areas where dji won’t allow your quad to fly based on their knowledge of nfz? For example,I live in a class c airspace,but I can still take off in my back yard,though a warning is posted. (I don’t fly in my backyard as a rule,but on the day I got my mp....)

So let me get this straight... the DJI map is more comprehensive than airmap? Or are u saying it’s just more accurately showing areas where dji won’t allow your quad to fly based on their knowledge of nfz? For example,I live in a class c airspace,but I can still take off in my back yard,though a warning is posted. (I don’t fly in my backyard as a rule,but on the day I got my mp....)

I'm saying that DJI quads rely on DJI maps on where they are allowed to fly. Does that not make sense to you?

no I’m saying I have been using airmap. That’s all I’m saying. The guy asked for suggestions, I posted my suggestion as I said before I’ve never used dji maps. Perhaps instead of posting to me you could just post your own msg to the op expressing YOUR recommendation. Wtf. Moving on.

no I’m saying I have been using airmap. That’s all I’m saying. The guy asked for suggestions, I posted my suggestion as I said before I’ve never used dji maps. Perhaps instead of posting to me you could just post your own msg to the op expressing YOUR recommendation. Wtf. Moving on.

Dude..., are you hyper-sensitive? This is a Mavic forum. I replied with a DJI related answer. WTF to your Wtf.

I'd like to put the Canadian drone laws into a perspective a bit... I've been living in Canada for 16 years but am originally from Belgium. I've been frustrated with the new drone regulations, specifically how wide the no-fly radius around "seabases" is (basically a lake where once in a blue moon, a waterplane takes off and lands) and the fact that within that radius, you can't fly at all, even if it is below treetop height.

So for fun, I decided to take a look at what the drone regulations are in my home country. For context: Belgium is tiny: 30K square km compared to Canada's 10M square km. Average population density is 399 times that of Canada; and being at the center of Europe, it's airspace is very dense with flights. Oh - and it's a more left-wing country than Canada, which means it likes to regulate EVERYTHING.

So to the Belgian drone laws!

* you can fly a recreational drone ANYWHERE (included in restricted airspace), up to 1kg, provided you stay below 10ms altitude.
* If you want to fly up to 90ms altitude, you must register with the BCAA (Belgian Civilian Aviation Association). This is via online form, response takes 10 days.
* You must then notify them of every take-off.. but they have a mobile app. You do NOT need to file a flight-plan.
* You must still stay out of restricted airspace. Restricted airspace is 1.5 km from a heliport and 2.8km from an airport. You can find the map of restricted airspace here:

Belgocontrol Web Portal

What this shows is that you can't fly over the major cities of Antwerp, Brussels, Gent or Brugge.. but you can fly over, for example, downtown Mechelen, a city of roughly 100K inhabitants. By contrast, in Canada, I can't fly over "downtown" Dunrobin - a rural community west of Ottawa with barely a 1000 people - because there's a "seabase" nearby.

I'm fortunate that over my house I can fly legally... but honestly, the Canadian drone laws are excessive, to put it mildly.

I'd like to put the Canadian drone laws into a perspective a bit... I've been living in Canada for 16 years but am originally from Belgium. I've been frustrated with the new drone regulations, specifically how wide the no-fly radius around "seabases" is (basically a lake where once in a blue moon, a waterplane takes off and lands) and the fact that within that radius, you can't fly at all, even if it is below treetop height.

So for fun, I decided to take a look at what the drone regulations are in my home country. For context: Belgium is tiny: 30K square km compared to Canada's 10M square km. Average population density is 399 times that of Canada; and being at the center of Europe, it's airspace is very dense with flights. Oh - and it's a more left-wing country than Canada, which means it likes to regulate EVERYTHING.

So to the Belgian drone laws!

* you can fly a recreational drone ANYWHERE (included in restricted airspace), up to 1kg, provided you stay below 10ms altitude.
* If you want to fly up to 90ms altitude, you must register with the BCAA (Belgian Civilian Aviation Association). This is via online form, response takes 10 days.
* You must then notify them of every take-off.. but they have a mobile app. You do NOT need to file a flight-plan.
* You must still stay out of restricted airspace. Restricted airspace is 1.5 km from a heliport and 2.8km from an airport. You can find the map of restricted airspace here:

Belgocontrol Web Portal

What this shows is that you can't fly over the major cities of Antwerp, Brussels, Gent or Brugge.. but you can fly over, for example, downtown Mechelen, a city of roughly 100K inhabitants. By contrast, in Canada, I can't fly over "downtown" Dunrobin - a rural community west of Ottawa with barely a 1000 people - because there's a "seabase" nearby.

I'm fortunate that over my house I can fly legally... but honestly, the Canadian drone laws are excessive, to put it mildly.
Yep sounds about right. The Canadian government has taken what could have been some very straight forward rules aimed at keeping the public reasonably safe,and come down instead with a sledge hammer.I suppose to punish honest hobbyists for perceived “threats to aviation” which haven’t occurred yet?....I guess. Hopefully the 100k insurance part of the bill has been adjusted,but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

View attachment 38275 I just got this off the government site

A couple are a bit much, standard seems to be 120 meters agl, yet where stuck with 90. And I wouldn’t go flying over crowds or houses if it can be avoided. But 30m laterally from houses, cars, people, seems excessive. Hopefully if all goes well with people being sensible we will follow others with more lax regulations

In my opinion there are a couple things wrong with the Canadian regulations:

1: dividing drones in weight, under 1kg then 1 to 35 kg, the 1 to 35 kg encompasses a lot of recreational drones. they need to add a category for 1 to 5kg
2: why do I need to mark my name address and phone number. I never like to give out my address, what happens if I lose my drone and some less than honest person finds it, they now know my address and know that I can afford a fairly expensive piece of equipment.

I'm also still waiting to hear about the liability insurance, not sure how it will work. I have heard from a couple of people that they are unable to find liability insurance or that is excessively expensive.

In my opinion there are a couple things wrong with the Canadian regulations:

1: dividing drones in weight, under 1kg then 1 to 35 kg, the 1 to 35 kg encompasses a lot of recreational drones. they need to add a category for 1 to 5kg
2: why do I need to mark my name address and phone number. I never like to give out my address, what happens if I lose my drone and some less than honest person finds it, they now know my address and know that I can afford a fairly expensive piece of equipment.

I'm also still waiting to hear about the liability insurance, not sure how it will work. I have heard from a couple of people that they are unable to find liability insurance or that is excessively expensive.
That’s correct,liability insurance will almost certainly be included in the new legislation,which is not out yet,but is coming this year. Right now,you would be hard pressed to find an insurer in Canada that has any clue about drones let alone a policy for insuring the recreational use of one. But,what does the government of Canada care about that....
As for the clearly marked name and adresss... I put my name,my city of residence,and my cell#. Nothing more. I am quite sure that if I lost my drone and was contacted by police?...or who ever, that if they decided they had to prosecute...For no adress..., the crown would be in some sketchy legal area trying to argue that a specific address should be visible on a persons property. After all,people don’t drive down the road in cars that have clearly displayed,their name and adress. Cars have a plate which police can use to identify the owner,but random people cannot. I think there’s an argument to be made by the government for requiring a registration # of some sort so owners of drones can be found by authorities. HOWEVER
I think the privacy commission would have something to say about the government forcing citizens to identify themselves to the general public,with a label on a drone. I’m not a lawyer,and I have no desire to test my point in court,but it seems to me that this identification aspect WILL be tested at some point by some poor drone hobbyist who has no choice.

I’m game for having insurance, assuming it isn’t $600 a year, no chance. I’ve read some places it’s like $15 a year, even $100 a year I’d sorta be alright with. I pay $100 a year for my range membership. I’d be fine to do so to be covered when I fly.

I’m game for having insurance, assuming it isn’t $600 a year, no chance. I’ve read some places it’s like $15 a year, even $100 a year I’d sorta be alright with. I pay $100 a year for my range membership. I’d be fine to do so to be covered when I fly.
Yep,I’d have to examine just how much I really wanted to fly my quad if it costs 600 bux for insurance.
I spoke to my mp not long ago at a public function and brought up this subject. He wasn’t even aware of the pending legislation,let alone the problems it could cause those of us who fly for recreational reasons. He said it just doesn’t affect enough people or those people aren’t concerned enough to bring it up with their MP. HE did say that he would look up the proposed rules,but I won’t pretend that he seemed very interested at all.

Yep,I’d have to examine just how much I really wanted to fly my quad if it costs 600 bux for insurance.
I spoke to my mp not long ago at a public function and brought up this subject. He wasn’t even aware of the pending legislation,let alone the problems it could cause those of us who fly for recreational reasons. He said it just doesn’t affect enough people or those people aren’t concerned enough to bring it up with their MP. HE did say that he would look up the proposed rules,but I won’t pretend that he seemed very interested at all.

Yeah I fully agree. And I’d imagine a lot of them are unaware. I’d even be fine with expanding no fly zones around major airports if it dialed back on the other areas for us recreational flyers. But like a lot of our laws with vague stuff like this, if your being sensible, respectable and basically not a being ***. You can skirt them without issue haha

I'd like to see more relaxed rules in Canada, but... manditory licensing. An inexpensive first license with an online course and exam - perhaps $50. The purpsoe of the exam is to expose all licensed drone pilots to best practices and considerations when flying so that people understand that sometimes their idea of fun can be deadly to others. Then a renewal with an easy online exam and a fee of maybe $20. NO ANNUAL FEE INCREASES FOR 10 YEARS AND AFTER THAN LIMITED TO 2% A YEAR (to prevent the usual governement cash-grab). But, more relaxed rules such as:

- no distance resitrctions around people and vehicles and all that
- 2km no-fly around airports and helipads
- a max altitude 3km outside no-fly to keep other aircraft safe
- higher max alititude outside of 5km from airport, whatever makes sense in terms of what other A/C fly at

I am hoping the gov is doing consultations with RC pilots and will come up with rules that make sense instead of these nonsense restrictive rules because a few people decided to be stupid and fly near airports and aircraft.

Canada’s rules aren’t the greatest. Right now they’re ok but you know the hammer is coming like it always does in Canada. Protect the lowly unwashed from themselves by implementing a grandiose plan costed out by big public unions and introduced to Canadians by our illustrious boy king PM .....in a highly passionate if not stuttering, county-wide televised speech. We’ll all be better off ....:oops:

I'd like to see more relaxed rules in Canada, but... manditory licensing. An inexpensive first license with an online course and exam - perhaps $50. The purpsoe of the exam is to expose all licensed drone pilots to best practices and considerations when flying so that people understand that sometimes their idea of fun can be deadly to others. Then a renewal with an easy online exam and a fee of maybe $20. NO ANNUAL FEE INCREASES FOR 10 YEARS AND AFTER THAN LIMITED TO 2% A YEAR (to prevent the usual governement cash-grab). But, more relaxed rules such as:

- no distance resitrctions around people and vehicles and all that
- 2km no-fly around airports and helipads
- a max altitude 3km outside no-fly to keep other aircraft safe
- higher max alititude outside of 5km from airport, whatever makes sense in terms of what other A/C fly at

I am hoping the gov is doing consultations with RC pilots and will come up with rules that make sense instead of these nonsense restrictive rules because a few people decided to be stupid and fly near airports and aircraft.
Umm...yeah . The gov DID consultations ....already. Never heard about it? I’m not surprised...they consulted with the people they wanted to consult with. Unfortunately,I don’t think that hobbyists were well represented.

Last edited:
Umm...yeah . The gov DID consultations ....already. Never heard about it? I’m not surprised...they consulted with the people they wanted to consult with. Unfortunately,I don’t think that hobbyists were well represented.

Yeah, much like how none of the members Canadian firearms advisory committee have firearms licenses.

But yeah they are pretty overkill on some of the rules. But luckily Canada is somewhat sparsely populated so that helps.

Also I’ve been using ponds and waterways to my advantage for flying in built up areas.

Yeah, much like how none of the members Canadian firearms advisory committee have firearms licenses.

But yeah they are pretty overkill on some of the rules. But luckily Canada is somewhat sparsely populated so that helps.

Also I’ve been using ponds and waterways to my advantage for flying in built up areas.
Well we are sparsely populated...and we aren’t . Most of the population is concentrated around and in cities so it’s difficult to find a place to fly unless one travels a few hours.fortunately I live close to the mountains and there’s plenty of public land out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143