DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Norway: Firmware .500 Dlog and polarpro cinema 8ND

Fixaldo

Reactions

From a trip with the family in a small town called Bud in Norway. Had to try out the new firmware .500.

The phone battery seem to drain much less now with the new firmware. But on the down side. The live feed has become horrible. The picture is lagging a lot, not smooth at all with all kinds of digital artefacts. Even after a phone reboot. Don’t know if it has anything to do with the new .500 firmware, but it seem to be related. Makes it a bit hard to frame.

Fix

what was your colour settings for Dlog? i used Dlog-1-3-3 and the results was horrible. nothing like the previous Art-1-3-3

the video looks messy and is not sharp enough

what was your colour settings for Dlog? i used Dlog-1-3-3 and the results was horrible. nothing like the previous Art-1-3-3

the video looks messy and is not sharp enough

Hi, I find it hard to use those settings as well. I use a non-traditional 0,-2,0 setting,2.7k. IMHO. Sharpness lower than 0 raise the possibility to get the horrific water colour bug from what I have experienced. It’s better to soften it in post. I use Davinci resolve and it has rather good tools to do so.

-2 on contrast to gain latitude, problem going further down is the limitation of the 8 bit colour fidelity. I find it better to push it in post with -2 compare to -3.

Colour at 0 is ok imo. I don’t see any reason going down to -3 when I use a powerful tool like davinci resolve for colour grade.

Another thing I have noticed. 2.7k seem more reliable than 4k when it comes to sharpness and overall IQ. Res is not that important to me. Most people can’t tell the difference between 2.7k and 4k anyways. Easy in post as well :)

Reactions: 4wd and PeterG
Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the trees look like it's mouldy, horrible image quality.i will try your settings.

Unfortunately davinci runs incredibly slow on my 2015 imac, no sure why.

With your above setting, which lut are you using to colour grade? I am.using premier pro and adding adjustment layers slows the rendering a lot, so I am trying to minimise the colour editing

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the trees look like it's mouldy, horrible image quality.i will try your settings.

Unfortunately davinci runs incredibly slow on my 2015 imac, no sure why.

Yup I recommend to try it out. Premiere pro should have good ways to soften the picture as well. Davinci Resolve is GPU heavy program and demand a lot of Video RAM. Premiere is more on the CPU side.

With your above setting, which lut are you using to colour grade? I am.using premier pro and adding adjustment layers slows the rendering a lot, so I am trying to minimise the colour editing

In this video I used a free LUT that you can download from this site: Film print emulation LUTs for download

The one I used is called Rec709 Fujifilm 3513DI D60. You probably have to do some curve adjustment to make a good result. I also do a lot of other individual adjustment for each shot.

Thanks!

I am still unsure if it's the new Dlog or my new taco nd filter.

Before I upgrade the firmware and before I have the nd filter, the video is crisp and sharp, but at a much higher shuttle speed so it's uncomfortable to view especially during yaw. Have not got time to really test out again without the nd.

Thanks!

I am still unsure if it's the new Dlog or my new taco nd filter.

Before I upgrade the firmware and before I have the nd filter, the video is crisp and sharp, but at a much higher shuttle speed so it's uncomfortable to view especially during yaw. Have not got time to really test out again without the nd.

A fast tip on that one is to use histogram and make sure the values stay to the right/middle (a tad overexposed but not burn out), a common mistake is to place it at the left/middle side (underexposed). This will help contain more information in a limited 8bit colour space. Most of my shots, before post, looks like garbage. I don’t think it has anything to do with ND filter by its own.

Really great video!

I'll be sure to try out your settings on my next flight. I traveled to woodland location yesterday, beautiful weather, but very disappointed in the footage. Trees in particular, look mushy. I was using -2-2-2 in D Cine.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. How often do you focus the camera? With every shot?

2. Do you use tripod mode for your smooth movements?

Really great video!

I'll be sure to try out your settings on my next flight. I traveled to woodland location yesterday, beautiful weather, but very disappointed in the footage. Trees in particular, look mushy. I was using -2-2-2 in D Cine.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. How often do you focus the camera? With every shot?

2. Do you use tripod mode for your smooth movements?

Hi Waveraven,

Sorry for late respond. Have been away for a while.

I’ve also seen mushy details when sharpness settings are low, especially with underexposed image. That’s why I recommend to stay at the middle/left on the histogram and keep away from the right side.

This is before after grade from one of the shoots and as you can see. The picture looks abit overexposed.
Before_1.4.3.jpg After_1.4.2.jpg

The histogram when recording looks something like this.
skewed-left-histogram.jpg

Answer to your questions:
1. I focus with every shot.

2. Yes, I use a lot of tripod mode. It’s great

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan