DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

Yes, but the cards just wasn't there today, maybe next week! On a side not though, today I did my first test flight on the Air with a battery mod. The wind was too terrible to try for any modded distance. I will at least try for 5 miles next week because I do not have an antenna mod yet.
Yep, get that antenna mod and you’ll find yourself on the top of the modded range board with battery mod.:)

Reactions: mlash
Went out today and I had very bad signal for some reason. I just couldn't figure out why I was getting such bad reception today when I have always gotten Great Signal all over that valley! I did not realize it until I did 2 flights (One Stock and One Battery Mod) and was on my way back to the house. I forgot that I had my iPhone in my pocket with WiFi and Bluetooth on! I have done this in the past with my Mavic Pro and, back then, finally figured it out after a couple of weeks of torment that my phone was causing the problems!

I did not break any records but this is my Stock MA and RC Flight. It didn't go so well because of terrible terrible terrible signal from the start!
AirData Link Here

This is my Battery Modded MA and Stock RC, total waste of time because I lost signal completely 4 times and it went into RTH and started coming home! I did cancel out RTH 3 times and continued the flight but I was dumbfounded as to why I was loosing signal so I gave up and brought it home on the 4th RTH!
@Long Ranger
However, it did get me to the 4th place with 4233m on the Mod Board!
AirData Link Here

You can see in AirData link that I went in two different directions on the 2 flights because at first I thought it was the concrete plant that was causing the signal loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesJardins
Went out today and I had very bad signal for some reason. I just couldn't figure out why I was getting such bad reception today when I have always gotten Great Signal all over that valley! I did not realize it until I did 2 flights (One Stock and One Battery Mod) and was on my way back to the house. I forgot that I had my iPhone in my pocket with WiFi and Bluetooth on! I have done this in the past with my Mavic Pro and, back then, finally figured it out after a couple of weeks of torment that my phone was causing the problems!

I did not break any records but this is my Stock MA and RC Flight. It didn't go so well because of terrible terrible terrible signal from the start!
AirData Link Here

This is my Battery Modded MA and Stock RC, total waste of time because I lost signal completely 4 times and it went into RTH and started coming home! I did cancel out RTH 3 times and continued the flight but I was dumbfounded as to why I was loosing signal so I gave up and brought it home on the 4th RTH!
@Drone Master
However, it did get me to the 4th place with 4233m on the Mod Board!
AirData Link Here

You can see in AirData link that I went in two different directions on the 2 flights because at first I thought it was the concrete plant that was causing the signal loss.
Very nice @mlash ! So you are the first to only do battery mod on the modded board. I see you still had 33% battery left. That’s at least worth another flight without the interference issue that you had. I expect your next run to do well when you get the best conditions to do so. What added battery are you using for your mod? Board updated.:)

Very nice @mlash ! So you are the first to only do battery mod on the modded board. I see you still had 33% battery left. That’s at least worth another flight without the interference issue that you had. I expect your next run to do well when you get the best conditions to do so. What added battery are you using for your mod? Board updated.:)
Thanks! Yes.. and with the three additional turnarounds and all the time I wasted hovering out there waiting! I will try again tomorrow without my iPhone in my pocket!:eek:

I am using the Hyperion 1400mah 60c G7HV for now.

I’ve gone to the same area I went 2.77 miles and fallen short with terrible reception twice now back to back barely hitting 2 miles so back to the drawing board with location.

I’m going to have to hit some desert land if I want to come back swinging :/

Went out today without my cell phone in my pocket this time! I was kind of afraid that I was going to waste the day again in an area that didn't have good signal, but I've flown many long distance flights in this area so I took the chance.The signal was great and could have went out 4 miles easily with this battery!

It's not much of a long distance flight for a Battery Modded MA but like I said I only had a 1000mah LiPo strapped to it for a test of the area.
However, it still put me up on the Modded Leaderboard with 5294m! Battery Modded MA - Turnigy 1000mah 3S 50C LiPo, Stock RC. Pictures below of the area I'm flying in (lots of open desert in this valley to fly).

@Long Ranger
AirData Link Here

As you can see from the distance below, DJI GO4 claims I did "17377ft" but AirData claims I did "17370ft." Usually it's a better distance with AirData than with DJI GO4 (doesn't matter in this instance though). Also if you look at my AirData, My Turn Around was at 57% but DJI GO4 app states that my turnaround was at 64% (see picture below)! That is because about 16,000ft out the battery % stuck at 64%. As soon as the bird turned around it dropped down to 57% immediately. Still made it back with 22% in the tank!
TurnAround.png

Home.png

Last edited:
I’ve gone to the same area I went 2.77 miles and fallen short with terrible reception twice now back to back barely hitting 2 miles so back to the drawing board with location.

I’m going to have to hit some desert land if I want to come back swinging :/
Keep try'in DesJardins!:mad:

Went out today without my cell phone in my pocket this time! I was kind of afraid that I was going to waste the day again in an area that didn't have good signal, but I've flown many long distance flights in this area so I took the chance.The signal was great and could have went out 4 miles easily with this battery!

It's not much of a long distance flight for a Battery Modded MA but like I said I only had a 1000mah LiPo strapped to it for a test of the area.
However, it still put me up on the Modded Leaderboard with 5294m! Battery Modded MA - Turnigy 1000mah 3S 50C LiPo, Stock RC. Pictures below of the area I'm flying in (lots of open desert in this valley to fly).

@Long Ranger
AirData Link Here

As you can see from the distance below, DJI GO4 claims I did "17377ft" but AirData claims I did "17370ft." Usually it's a better distance with AirData than with DJI GO4 (doesn't matter in this instance though). Also if you look at my AirData, My Turn Around was at 57% but DJI GO4 app states that my turnaround was at 64% (see picture below)! That is because about 16,000ft out the battery % stuck at 64%. As soon as the bird turned around it dropped down to 57% immediately. Still made it back with 22% in the tank!
View attachment 44296

View attachment 44297
Wow! Congrats! I figured you would do better when the conditions were right. Very nice!Thumbswayup

Wow! Congrats! I figured you would do better when the conditions were right. Very nice!Thumbswayup
Thanks. I have an extra (used) MA controller coming in the mail and I will be modding it with my Titan Cyclone Antenna. I should have that ready in a couple weeks. I'm still going to work on breaking the Stock record as well.

Reactions: mad monkey
Hey all,
So I went out again, into the middle of nowhere to try get a range test.
I did 2 flights this is the first.
Location is very flat, minimal tree coverage. Mostly plowed farm land.
There was a very slight breeze, but barely worth mentioning.
For those who know country NSW, It was along the highway between Gunnedah and Quirindi.
Closest town was approx 50km.
I had phone coverage, but just 1 bar on iPhone, so any sort of signal interference was minimal.
So I flew out and did a return flight. Got out to just over 4000m before I decided to turn back. Made it back with 33 secs left on battery.
I forgot to turn it to sport mode until 37s... D’oh... so much to remember... lol

Attachments

• 6C7004C4-421E-4D90-BC3C-F89663103EA5.png
    6C7004C4-421E-4D90-BC3C-F89663103EA5.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DC73CEAC-EBE6-47E6-9455-69EBC74A3AF4.png
    DC73CEAC-EBE6-47E6-9455-69EBC74A3AF4.png
    344.2 KB · Views: 29
The second flight, because it was so flat and open, I decided to do a one way distance run. Now, sometimes I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed...
So I took off and flew out and on and on and on.
I get out and then start getting warnings that it’s time to return to home... ignoring that, I keep going. Video link and controls are still good.
So at the furthest point from me, 7215.1m, I lose video. I try and drop altitude and the MA disconnects from the controller.
Just before disconnect, RTH message popped up on screen. I try to land but then I don’t know what’s happening as I have no connection any longer.
I jumped in the car and went to look where I thought it’d be, but after searching for over an hour, the sun sets and I have to leave. I got back to my hotel and uploaded the flight data to this forum asking for help...long story(I know, I know) short, Sar104 is a legend and he plotted where it should be... went out the next morning and it was 10m from where he said. So happy to get it back after that. (I was searching over 1km away the evening before).

Attachments

• B9157045-7B9C-41FE-9CBF-059805491168.png
    B9157045-7B9C-41FE-9CBF-059805491168.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 33
The second flight, because it was so flat and open, I decided to do a one way distance run. Now, sometimes I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed...
I get out and then start getting warnings that it’s time to return to home... ignoring that, I keep going. Video link and controls are still good.
So at the furthest point from me, 7215.1m, I lose video. I try and drop altitude and the MA disconnects from the controller.
Just before disconnect, RTH message popped up on screen. I try to land but then I don’t know what’s happening as I have no connection any longer.
I jumped in the car and went to look where I thought it’d be, but after searching for over an hour, the sun sets and I have to leave. I got back to my hotel and uploaded the flight data to this forum asking for help...long story(I know, I know) short, Sar104 is a legend and he plotted where it should be... went out the next morning and it was 10m from where he said. So happy to get it back after that. (I was searching over 1km away the evening before).
Very nice job Scotty! I placed you on both the non modded board as well as the One Way Board. Glad you got your bird back!:cool:Thumbswayup

Reactions: ScottyBorresen
Both very nice flights Scotty! Great distance for a stock "one way" run, I think that put you in "#1 Spot." However, next time set your FAILSAFE to "LAND." That will stop it from trying to return home if you loose connection while landing! Glad you got it back.

Got my controller modded with the Titan Cyclone and ready for testing this weekend!

IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 37
Looks like you just might have a chance at @JB999 ’s position.
He pushed his bird down to the last second of flight depleting his battery packs with less than 2% remaining. Good luck on your next run! ;)
Thanks! I've been out over 17000m with this Titan Antenna on my Mavic Pro so I know it can do it. I have a couple of MS 3000mah LiHV's and 3 Protek 3600's laying around as well. I plan on just testing tomorrow to make sure the install is good, maybe 4 or 5 miles if everything goes well.

Sunday I'm going to take another stab at the Stock Board as well.:D

Edit:I meant to say "17000m"

Last edited:
Went out for an all stock flight today. The conditions were outstanding! Desert Landscape. There is a concrete plant out there but closed for the day. I started out on top of a little hill and only had to climb to 66ft during the flight as the elevation was going down hill. The signal was unbelievable, I don't think I even got a st-udder! I made it out 17,918ft, turned around at 51% and returned with 0% for the last 500' of the flight. Thankfully I had a bit of a tailwind coming home. I did screw the pooch at the beginning of my flight and lost out on some precious time (probably about 4%).

As you can see below in the AirData Link they screwed me over again. It states that I only flew 17,886ft for a total of 5452m and taking 2nd Place on the Stock Board!:D I've got to find another 700 feet somewhere to beat the first place total!:confused: I wonder just how long the Air will fly on 0%!:cool:

@Long Ranger
AirData Link Here

Here is a picture of the turnaround and the direction I flew this time. I've got some more room here!
TurnAround2222.png

Last edited:
Went out for an all stock flight today. The conditions were outstanding! Desert Landscape. There is a concrete plant out there but closed for the day. I started out on top of a little hill and only had to climb to 66ft during the flight as the elevation was going down hill. The signal was unbelievable, I don't think I even got a st-udder! I made it out 17,918ft, turned around at 51% and returned with 0% for the last 500' of the flight. Thankfully I had a bit of a tailwind coming home. I did screw the pooch at the beginning of my flight and lost out on some precious time (probably about 4%).

As you can see below in the AirData Link they screwed me over again. It states that I only flew 17,886ft for a total of 5452m and taking 2nd Place on the Stock Board!:D I've got to find another 700 feet somewhere to beat the first place total!:confused: I wonder just how long the Air will fly on 0%!:cool:

@Drone Master
AirData Link Here

Here is a picture of the turnaround and the direction I flew this time. I've got some more room here!
View attachment 45029
That’s another one of your best flights for a stock run!Thumbswayup
Looking forward to see what you get with your full mod setup.
Have you had any chance to test?

Reactions: mlash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore