DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scuffed my MA2. Feeling dumb

You might find that the gimbal can no longer maintain a level horizon when flying sideways. No known fix if that happens, other than gimbal replacement. Gimbal is ruined. Fly straight left to see if horizon tilts, and then immediately fly straight right to check the other side. If no tilt of horizon on either side, you are golden. Fingers crossed!
I’m 100% the same way. Drives me crazy too. If it makes you feel better I’ve crashed mine twice both times being stupid. I will say so far it’s very sturdy. LOL I got some scuffs…

Sorry that happened just know you’re not alone. You have the refresh so you could cash in a chip now. I thought about it but I’m choosing to wait a bit, probably until after camping season because I don’t know what stupid thing I’ll do next. Hopefully nothing!
Aye, something similar happened to me when I active tracked my kids. Damaged pride, potentially damaged gimbal but hope its fine for you. I'm now looking out for a motor / arms availability in my local e-commerce market.

Have a look at my thread about propeller guards, do you think it will help? I have one set on order, may arrive in a week or so, but hopefully it will always be a redundant safety for me in the future.
Some of the best advice I have read on these forums was "I always act like I am in the drone when I fly" Hopefully the gimbal is alright and let the marks remind you to be more careful when you fly
All 3 axis on the gimbal appear to by working after starting it up and moving it by hand in the house today. I probably won't get a chance to fly until maybe this evening, got a pretty full day today. I think we're good though! Just need to go easy until I get through my vacation as I would hate to be without a drone for that!

I crashed M2Pro last August a few weeks after owning it, so I'm right there with you. I crashed it into a tree, and had to go stomping through chest-high grasses, mud and bush to recover it.

Silver linings: the find my drone feature worked a treat; it was mere feet away from a lake, so it could have been a lot worse; when I picked it up, it was dirty, lights were dangling off it, and the props were strewn about, but other than that, there was no real physical damage. The only real evidence is a subtle ding on the very front that you might not even notice, unless you were looking real hard.

I felt stupid at first, but now I feel like I have that out of my system, and I try to use that experience to keep me flying sensibly whenever I go up.

Reactions: Zee_Bass
Playing around this evening with the kids I wasn't paying attention and I drifted into a telephone pole. Drone dropped about 3 feet to the ground. Scuffed up the front legs and put a mean abrasion on the gimbal. Had to restart it to re center the gimbal.

Other than that just my pride is hurt... ( Mod Removed language) it!

I have refresh and a state farm policy for any major crashes but I absolutely hate putting a scratch on anything that's like new that I own. Drives me crazy, especially when it's my fault!
I have always liked putting the first scratch on my new car at the time.
I feel dumb most the time...of course that's how I learn. Excellent thing is no one got hurt.

You might find that the gimbal can no longer maintain a level horizon when flying sideways. No known fix if that happens, other than gimbal replacement. Gimbal is ruined. Fly straight left to see if horizon tilts, and then immediately fly straight right to check the other side. If no tilt of horizon on either side, you are golden. Fingers crossed!
If my gimbal is ruined, how do I get it replaced? I bought my MA2 directly from the DJI website.

I ask because I am experiencing the exact issue you are mentioning above, after I flew my drone into a tree branch and my drone fell 6 feet to the ground.

I thought it might simply require an IMU calibration, which I did last night. But I haven’t tried it out yet today, to see if the problem is fixed.

If my gimbal is ruined, how do I get it replaced? I bought my MA2 directly from the DJI website.

I ask because I am experiencing the exact issue you are mentioning above, after I flew my drone into a tree branch and my drone fell 6 feet to the ground.

I thought it might simply require an IMU calibration, which I did last night. But I haven’t tried it out yet today, to see if the problem is fixed.
It's important to be sure whether the gimbal is indeed damaged physically or not.

Because it is a complex device, it could be potentially a irreversible damage that requires a replacement of damaged components or just a reattaching of loose suspension.

An IMU cal is harmless and free.

A thorough visual inspection is also important.

It's important to be sure whether the gimbal is indeed damaged physically or not.

Because it is a complex device, it could be potentially a irreversible damage that requires a replacement of damaged components or just a reattaching of loose suspension.

An IMU cal is harmless and free.

A thorough visual inspection is also important.
I just tested my drone and the triple calibration (IMU + Gimbal + Compass) that I performed last night, has fixed my “tilting gimbal“ issue when flying sideways! ?

Thank goodness! I wasn’t looking forward to a $200 repair bill plus no drone for the next two weeks.

Cannot be many drones without the odd scuff. A bit of leaf green is a badge of honour !!

Playing around this evening with the kids I wasn't paying attention and I drifted into a telephone pole. Drone dropped about 3 feet to the ground. Scuffed up the front legs and put a mean abrasion on the gimbal. Had to restart it to re center the gimbal.

Other than that just my pride is hurt... ( Mod Removed language) it!

I have refresh and a state farm policy for any major crashes but I absolutely hate putting a scratch on anything that's like new that I own. Drives me crazy, especially when it's my fault!
Ok...you want to talk about dumb? This should make you feel better. I was using my drone to video jumps with my newly repaired Krayton 8S. The Kryton is a 30 pound RC car that goes 55mph and is made for rough use. I was testing it out and did not adjust steering so it was all over the place. I had my drone Controller and phone on the ground because the drone was stationary. Well after one jump....I turned the car accelerated and run right over the controller and phone. Both survived but my controller (the pretty M2A controller) is now a scratched-up mess. So I had my first crash....with the controller! Feel better?

Ok...you want to talk about dumb? This should make you feel better. I was using my drone to video jumps with my newly repaired Krayton 8S. The Kryton is a 30 pound RC car that goes 55mph and is made for rough use. I was testing it out and did not adjust steering so it was all over the place. I had my drone Controller and phone on the ground because the drone was stationary. Well after one jump....I turned the car accelerated and run right over the controller and phone. Both survived but my controller (the pretty M2A controller) is now a scratched-up mess. So I had my first crash....with the controller! Feel better?
Hahaha that's good one!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute