DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

This is weird, I thought for sure that I saw pretty much this same thread several months ago, but you just posted this one yesterday. Someone else must have posted the same issue a short time ago, because I know I saw it...
It’s obvious this is the same issue and poster as the roughly 3 month ago post. Where is the “short time ago” someone else made post?

It’s obvious this is the same issue and poster as the roughly 3 month ago post. Where is the “short time ago” someone else made post?

Here:

Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2

Here:

Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2
No. Seems to be the same poster.

That's really disturbing behaviour. Google assistant is probably not the way ever to interact with the app as DJI will not have married to the software. just fly without it. Better still use the Smart controller. I know its heavy on cost but I have used it since its arrival and the signal is rock solid, I have never had a single drop out. I feel 100% when using it.

Reactions: kyle mavic
This is weird, I thought for sure that I saw pretty much this same thread several months ago, but you just posted this one yesterday. Someone else must have posted the same issue a short time ago, because I know I saw it...

Right there in the third post in this thread I pointed that out and provided a link.

And still no flight log demonstrating the alleged behavior.

If you want to surf the internet, land the drone and do it. Multi tasking while in control of (according to you) a DANGEROUS aircraft is an irresponsible act. It is not the phone or the aircraft that is creating the danger, it is YOUR irresponsible actions. Argue all you want, but i am right.
I actually don't think he was surfing the net, to be fair, I recall him asking GA to increase brightness. That being said, I used my S10+ to fly by until I got my ipad mini and never had any issues, but I didn't give any GA commands either, nor will I lol.

Reactions: tleedom
I actually don't think he was surfing the net, to be fair, I recall him asking GA to increase brightness. That being said, I used my S10+ to fly by until I got my ipad mini and never had any issues, but I didn't give any GA commands either, nor will I lol.
He said "Hey Google, fly my drone!"

Reactions: cochitiman
From what I've read in these forums, using Android with DJI is riskier in general, compared to iOS.

Mark

DJI's own Crystal sky is Android based??!

That may very well be the case. But what I said stands. It has been repeatedly mentioned in this forum (and other drone forums) that people have had issues when using Android with DJI products. That isn't intended to "bash" Android nor glorify iOS. I'm simply stating what I've read and noticed over 17 months of reading drone forums.

Mark

So I used to have a P3A and have made and received calls while flying without any issues. If it’ll allow me to live stream to Facebook while flying then a call isn’t going to make any difference nor is the assistant when it sends data over 4G etc..

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The first thing I do when I buy a new iOS device is disable “Hey, Siri.” It’s literally one checkmark box. Does your Android device not have the ability to disable the wake word(s)? If not, return the phone, don’t blame your drone manufacturer for a phone/tablet/OS deficiency. ??‍♂️

The first thing I do when I buy a new iOS device is disable “Hey, Siri.” It’s literally one checkmark box. Does your Android device not have the ability to disable the wake word(s)? If not, return the phone, don’t blame your drone manufacturer for a phone/tablet/OS deficiency. ??‍♂️

Also, you should be placing your devices in Do Not Disturb mode when flying. You, the pilot, have a 100% legal and fiduciary responsibility to be 100% focused on flying. Period. It’s the law and it’s the right thing to do. Make it a part of your pre-flight checklist: disable wake word, put devices on Do Not Disturb. Easy.

Post-flight, reverse these settings.

Your DJI Drone could kill you or someone close to you.
Or at least do some serious damage to you or people near you!

Please send this serious warning to as many places as possible.
If you are flying with an Android device and initiate Google Assistant with “Ok Google” or “Hi Google” and you are flying your DJI drone with DJI go app your aircraft becomes totally out of control.
Take a look at this video.
I have been in constant contact with DJI, almost 20 emails for many weeks and they refuse to put out a general warning to DJI go app users not to engage Google Assistant.
Their response has been this.
“Kindly noted that I have updated the flightrecords as you provided back on MAR 21ST to the Field Application Engineering team…”
“As you mentioned, on your previous emails, it is unsafe for the people around. We appreciate your effort however to provide us with the needed records for our designated developers to review the flight and confirm your claimed issue with the DJI GO 4 app when used with the Google Assistant.”

DJI know there is a problem and a serious one. I know they are working very hard at solving the problem, but they are refusing to warn the public.

Please pass this warning to as many as you can.
Interesting. I also have Android and I always turn on "Airplane Mode" when flying so I get no outside interference whatsoever. No Internet, no phone calls, no WIFI...my phone is nothing but just a monitor at this point. To me, it's common sense. I am surprised that everyone doesn't just do that by default. I want absolutely no distractions from a phone call, etc. If one comes in, it'll go to voicemail and I'll hear it soon enough. After landing and turning off my Mavic 2 Pro and controller, I'll turn off Airplane Mode and go back to business as usual with my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shon
Interesting. I always turn on "Airplane Mode" when flying so I get no outside interference. After landing, I'll turn off Airplane Mode.

The only problem with Airplane Mode is, if the app you’re using relies on cellular or GPS on your device, turning this mode on disables all antennas including Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi and Cellular.

This can cause problems, sometimes. But if everything’s up to date and happy before you enable Airplane Mode, some folks swear by it.

I like the connectivity, so Do Not Disturb works better for me.

The only problem with Airplane Mode is, if the app you’re using relies on cellular or GPS on your device, turning this mode on disables all antennas including Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi and Cellular.

This can cause problems, sometimes. But if everything’s up to date and happy before you enable Airplane Mode, some folks swear by it.

I like the connectivity, so Do Not Disturb works better for me.

It does not disable GPS, at least on iOS devices.

Reactions: Gringorio
I still don't understand why anybody would fly a drone with a display device not completely dedicated to the task, with EVERYTHING not necessary for flight completely stripped out.

What in the world are you doing flying with that dumb Assistant, or Siri, or Alexa, or anything else not necessary even installed much less enabled? That's just dumb and consumes resources and battery power. My Mavic's Nexus 7 has been rooted and stripped of everything I don't need, including NFZ, reporting to DJI and a bunch of other nonsense. But that's a story for another day.......

Sheesh.

It does not disable GPS, at least on iOS devices.

Ahh, sorry, that’s new as of iOS 8.3. Sorry. Used to be Airplane Mode disabled the whole radio chipset, including GPS amplification and decoding/triangulation. I guess NFC is also not disabled?

My concern is that Do Not Disturb is a better option because that’s the part you need when flying: to not be disturbed. Throw it on vibrate too. Even in Airplane Mode, you can get alerts/reminders, which you probably should be attending to mid-flight.

Airplane mode just stops phone calls, texts and emails, but it also disables other things you might want during flight.

Reactions: Burk and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones