DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very poor range with MA2

I do not have a MA2 (thankfully) but I am watching with interest the threads/videos on it. You seem to have a common problem, here is a video that speaks about the same issues.

Brutally Honest Review MA2
I don't understand your thanks fullness. I am a DJI drone owner since the Phantom Vision and this is by far the best of all.

I am glad you are happy with yours. I am satisfied with my current drones, of which the MA2 is not a worthy replacement for.

The MA2 is completely capable of flying several miles out in perfect conditions. Unfortunately not many of us fly in perfect conditions. You need flat-ish land, a high vantage point and nothing in the way of interference. The higher you can fly up, this also helps. There’s nothing wrong with the drone, it’s just the environment you’re flying in.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
super happy with my Air 2.
I am glad you are happy with yours. I am satisfied with my current drones, of which the MA2 is not a worthy replacement for.
I 'm glad you're happy with yours but I'm not surprised. I've been super happy with all my DJI drones. I've never owned one from any other manufacture but..I know good stuff when I see it..I have owned a lot of junk so I consider myself an expert on that. ;)

Agreed! I feel the same way, DJI products are leaps and bounds above the competition.

Yes it does. In the usa. I know bc half of the time I fly both and many times I fly with a friend and he has a mavic 2 zoom.
Thanks for sharing that interesting info, as I haven’t really tested max distance between my M2P and MA2 yet.

i am having exactly the same issue, brand new MA2 that loses connection 300m away, the max i have got out of it in a field was 800m. I flew my Mavic Pro (7km advertised range) in the same spot and it would go 3km. There is something wrong with some Mavic Air 2's.

i am having exactly the same issue, brand new MA2 that loses connection 300m away, the max i have got out of it in a field was 800m. I flew my Mavic Pro (7km advertised range) in the same spot and it would go 3km. There is something wrong with some Mavic Air 2's.
The controllers are very different i have noticed with my MA2 when i go down to 1 bar changing the direction of the controller just a bit will bring it back to full.

And did you check your settings? What frequency is it set at?

I dont know, is the Mavic Pro restricted to CE power only? The MA2 for sure in Australia is limited power wise.

This thread is a little old now, but I've also had range issues with the Mavic Air 2. Bought it on Monday after owning a Mavic Pro 1 for around a year. Took the MA2 out to spots I used to regularly fly the MP1, I could not get it to go past 3000 feet away from me before signal dropout. My MP1 easily reaches 10,000+ feet in the same area.

Took the drone back to Best Buy today and exchanged it. The new one works perfectly, exceptional range with zero drop in signal. There is definitely an issue with some of these MA2's. If you aren't getting good range, I would highly recommend returning the product or contacting DJI.

Reactions: pelagic_one
This thread is a little old now, but I've also had range issues with the Mavic Air 2. Bought it on Monday after owning a Mavic Pro 1 for around a year. Took the MA2 out to spots I used to regularly fly the MP1, I could not get it to go past 3000 feet away from me before signal dropout. My MP1 easily reaches 10,000+ feet in the same area.

Took the drone back to Best Buy today and exchanged it. The new one works perfectly, exceptional range with zero drop in signal. There is definitely an issue with some of these MA2's. If you aren't getting good range, I would highly recommend returning the product or contacting DJI.
Have you done back to back testing in exactly the same area and exactly the same altitude? The farthest I’ve had mine out has been 7000ish ft.

Have you done back to back testing in exactly the same area?

Yep, I always fly in the same area. It's a spot with fairly flat ground, minimal buildings so interference isn't really a concern. My original MA2 clearly had some kind of hardware issue. I recalibrated compass and IMU several times, but it just wouldn't keep a signal past 3000 feet away.

Yep, I always fly in the same area. It's a spot with fairly flat ground, minimal buildings so interference isn't really a concern. My original MA2 clearly had some kind of hardware issue. I recalibrated compass and IMU several times, but it just wouldn't keep a signal past 3000 feet away.
What about altitude?

What about altitude?

It varied, but no higher than 400 ft. I mean, it wasn't an exact scientific test where I could reproduce the exact conditions each time. But, having flown there for 12 months or so, I have come to know what I can realistically expect when it comes to range and signal loss, especially as the MA2 has supposedly improved range over the MP1. I would expect better performance, which I wasn't getting. After exchanging for another MA2, I'm clearly getting that improved performance.

Reactions: pelagic_one
It varied, but no higher than 400 ft. I mean, it wasn't an exact scientific test where I could reproduce the exact conditions each time. But, having flown there for 12 months or so, I have come to know what I can realistically expect when it comes to range and signal loss, especially as the MA2 has supposedly improved range over the MP1. I would expect better performance, which I wasn't getting. After exchanging for another MA2, I'm clearly getting that improved performance.
Honestly it’s hard to say. Another variable in this is antenna design. All other DJI drones have adjustable pole antenna and the MA2 does not. I myself and others have found that signal range varies wildly how you orient the controller.

Honestly it’s hard to say. Another variable in this is antenna design. All other DJI drones have adjustable pole antenna and the MA2 does not. I myself and others have found that signal range varies wildly how you orient the controller.

It is hard to say, you're right. However, I live in a very rural area in West Virginia. There's not much other than fields, some trees and a few deer! Pretty ideal conditions for line of site drone flying. I takeoff from an elevated location, so there aren't any immediate structures, man made or natural, which could impact signal. The controller is always pointed at the drone. I honestly believe there is an issue with some MA2's. The replacement I have received is like night and day in comparison. The first one was a lemon for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa