DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very poor range with MA2

Sorry, can't help.

I returned mine back to dji for the same problem. Mine woud start dropping RC signal around 400 meters. I also started a thread on it. I will know more in the coming weeks on what dji will do to fix the issue.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I returned mine back to dji for the same problem. Mine woud start dropping RC signal around 400 meters. I also started a thread on it. I will know more in the coming weeks on what dji will do to fix the issue.
I refreshed the firmware update in DJI Assistant, plus did compass & IMU calibrations. The distance it gets has doubled to about 1.5 km -better but still not as promoted.

I Have the same problem here in the UK. This is my second MA2 as the last one had a cable issue to the iphone. flew my brand new swapped MA2 a couple of days ago and got poor range in a semi rural area. Both had the exact same range which i think is pretty poor.

I Have the same problem here in the UK. This is my second MA2 as the last one had a cable issue to the iphone. flew my brand new swapped MA2 a couple of days ago and got poor range in a semi rural area. Both had the exact same range which i think is pretty poor.
i know how disappointing this is. I got a bit more distance (to 1.5km) after doing IMU & compass calibrations. I also did a 'refresher' of the firmware update with the DJI Assistant. Not sure which of these brought the improvements.

Thanks for the info I’ll try that tonight and see if I get better results. Seen a video on YouTube of a guy in the UK (York dales) and flew his MA2 for miles. As this is my second MA2 I doubt it’s an issue with the unit itself as my older one was exactly the same. Will try the same tonight and post back results

Out of interest what device are you using? I’m using iPhone XS

Thanks for the info I’ll try that tonight and see if I get better results. Seen a video on YouTube of a guy in the UK (York dales) and flew his MA2 for miles. As this is my second MA2 I doubt it’s an issue with the unit itself as my older one was exactly the same. Will try the same tonight and post back results
i got the same distance (about 1.5 km) with my Mavic 2 Pro. I am in Australia. Do you think DJI limits the distance in countries like UK & Oz at our gov't's insistance?
these guys bragging about 5 mile distances - maybe they are paid by DJI?

i got the same distance (about 1.5 km) with my Mavic 2 Pro. I am in Australia. Do you think DJI limits the distance in countries like UK & Oz at our gov't's insistance?
You are limited to CE power compared to USA FCC I believe in Oz. UK for sure. That would be a significant difference in range.

20dbm vs 26dbm. more than 3 times the power in FCC mode.

Screenshot_20200604-082240_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
First, I am not smart! I just have mastered google searches!! ;)
I dont have a MA2, I hope someone that does can step in and help you out. On the MA1 with it's wifi controller, you were able to 'fool' the RC into thinking it was in the USA to get the added power output. On the Occusync controllers I do not know if that is possible or not without doing some sort of software mod (no limitz drones, etc).

There is a very long thread in the MA2 discussions about spoofing your location to get the MA2 to use FCC mode. I haven't read through it, but it may provide you some help:

Yes defo! Gonna try that FCC hack to see if I get better range.

ok tried the following as suggested in previous posts.

1. Re-flashed the firmware via DJI Assistant software
2. Carried out Compass calibration
3. Carried out IMU calibration

Not sure if i done these before my first flight. Defo got further range than before but still not as good as it should be. I think the FCC hack is the way forward for sure. Wondering if this could be a software mod rather that downloading GPS spoof apps to fooling it into a fake GPS location??

Reactions: Fleek
3dB is a doubling in power so 6dB is 4x.
Distance doubles for a 4x power increase (square law), so if everything else is equal 800m on CE will be 1.6km on FCC.

In practice trying to double your distance increases the chances of noise so you never normally get double the distance for 6dB increase in power.

Had the Mavic Air 2 for over a week & cannot go beyond 800 m before getting weak signal warnings or screen goes blank & AC initiates RTH.

I fly in flat areas over water or woodlands so no wifi interference. Set iPhone on airplane mode. Changed the cable from controller to phone as some said DJI can provide inferior cables. Raised altitude for less physical interference. I do not understand the mechanics of setting transmission to manual so it remains on automatic.

Time to return the drone?
I have a MA2 and MP2. I can't recall a time that the air 2 went out less than the more expensive done

I’m flying in the UK & easily get 1.5k with rock solid video & RC signal. I haven’t done anything special to it, but am flying in fairly rural areas.

I have a MA2 and MP2. I can't recall a time that the air 2 went out less than the more expensive done
Clarification please...are you saying that your MA2 flies further distance than your M2P? Also, are you flying MA2 with FCC or CE?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS