DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your Editing Hardware? Mine is choking on 4k.

MilesTHD

Reactions
It seems I've reached the limit of my laptop since I got the Mavic. Most video I create and edit in Adobe CC is from my LG V20 phone - which is 1080p. Now that I want to edit in 2 or 4k - no way. Even when trying to create proxy files my computer just chokes and stutters and finally just gives up. Then I give up.

I'm wondering (before I make some huge investment) what hardware most of you are using to edit 4k and maybe some of your more handy tips to make workflow/quality exceptionally great? I'm quietly amassing a small fortune behind my wife's back in order to acquire whatever beast I need to make editing 4k a reality.

Thanks in advance!

Are you creating proxy media? If you're not you're only causing yourself headache. I use FCPX and Final Cut creates proxy automatically. I edit in proxy then switch to full quality prior to rendering and exporting. To answer your question, I'm using a 2016 Macbook Pro 2.7GHz with 8GB of RAM

Yes (see original post). My laptop doesn't even like creating proxy files. It's an AMD based system which I hear are less 'video friendly' than Intel.

Tricked out iMac...
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM
AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

The two most important things are your video card and the CPU. Focus some dough there. While RAM is important, it won't be top priority right away. Remember, you can always expand later. I'm at 16 gigs and am processing 4k easy.
Here's some starter sites for reference :

Logical Increments, the PC Builder's Friend

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

This is my GPU/CPU set up that works awesome.
Video card: Nvidia GTX 1070
CPU : Intel i7-6700k
RAM: 16GB DDR3 ripjaws

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: mikedsm4
I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 13 on a hex core i7 3930k, I find a lot of cores help with the rendering. AMD's new Ryzen processors look potentially very good for highly multithreaded activities like video encoding.

John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98