DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you interested in delivering food and drinks with your drone for cash?

Love it. Good luck. You'll need a maintenance dept too. Keeping drones in the air day after day will be very interesting. You should build your own drone though. Remember you need something water resistant and the Mavic is not that.

Mavics doing food and drink deliveries???
With a maximum load, I wouldn't expect more than a mile range one way and thats being generous. You have to pick up at the vendor and drop off at the consumer.
Now, unless every food store and coffee shop you would be delivering from and all the customers buying these things are all inside of a one mile circle, I see NO WAY! I.M.O.

Hopefully in our lifetime. :)

If they will be using commercial drones, I think the FAA will be expanding the laws in terms of maximum ceiling and cruise altitude. 400' for a commercial sized hexacopter wont work.
Why wouldn't 400 ft be adequate? That's high enough to clear everything but some radio towers and skyscrapers, and it's not like these drones would be doing their own pathfinding. Too many manned aircraft above the 500' level to let it get crowded with unmanned drones.

I see way too many operational risk with this. As was mentioned, it’ll have very limited range. Fly to vendor, wait for package to load, fly to customer (which could be at opposite end of pilot’s location), wait for customer to pick up then fly back. Also there’s the risk of injuring persons loading and unloading the package. Accidental tugging of drone and causing it to react unexpectedly.
Then consider the time of day food delivery service is needed. Lunch: office hours and if it’s in the city, buildings will mess with GPS and compass.
Dinner: Potentially flying over peak hour traffic across roads, and evening sun might mess with OA.
What about bad folks or kids throwing rocks at it for fun as it lowers to deliver the package?
Dedicated drones, maybe. Mavic Pro, way too risky.
What about pilots? Some can be a bit lazy or gung-ho. They could be using apps like Litchi, use waypoint missions and then assume it’s just follow route and return home. Not only it’s flying BVLOS, it’s not even maintaining full control of drone. They need to have a license and properly trained. You’d also need to make sure their drones are in good operating conditions.
Good luck. Legality would be a hassle. Any accidents, you’d get sued and whatever permits you might have will be cancelled.

Reactions: dvarapala
Would like to wish OP good luck with his idea and new business.

Drones will dominate the skies, in a few years, delivering goods, saving lives, aiming police and firefighters, and much more.

Delivering using today's commercial drones, is a difficult and challenging job, and I wish every success.

You can communicate with others having the same idea.

From a quick Google search:
Costa Coffee tests drone delivery service in Dubai

Coffee delivery by drone for $3? It's coming | ZDNet

Coffeecopter

Autonomous drones are now delivering coffee over Switzerland | TechRadar

As for the regulations, I believe that all these restrictions of today, are there (and may become stricter), because all these companies and authorities who will use drones in the near future, don't want our Mavics to get messed with their drones, in the same airspace.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I want to set up the "Santa Clause Drone Service".
On Christmas Eve, I will use my Mavic Pro to pull a sleigh full of presents. It will deliver a gift to every child around the world by Christmas morning.

Now, here comes the brilliant bit where I make the money........
Parents will cellotape the £20 delivery fee to the Mavic. (£30 if they want it down the chimney and not on the front lawn) Thumbswayup

The only two teething problems I think I'll have is VLOS and battery flight time but I'm sure I'll sort it.

With the money I'll be raking in, I'll have the biggest Turkey in my street this Christmas.:):)

The thought of Mavics falling out of the sky on your head and pouring a blistering hot starbucks coffee-to-go in your face in the process.........

What a joke.
If you get enough experience and knowledge flying drones yourself you will realise this.

Of course deliveries can be done with drones. In the Netherlands they are experimenting with big purposely designed drones that fly waypoints from an airfield in the north to one of the islands, carrying blood or medical supplies for (only) a few miles distance. But they have their own corridor while doing that and are monitored by the control tower and controlled by professional crews on both sides with extensive ground stations.
Very costly operation that might someday save lives. Which is the only reason it is worth the money. Getting a helicopter to make a emergency delivery is even more expensive and takes the same or more time.

But coffee delivery with a consumer drone, flown by a consumer pilot?

Personally I see a lot of possibilities for swarms of micro drones like Intel is showing.
And fast deliveries with short distances between hospitals or commercial transport hubs (not directly to a consumers doorstep). But these will be routes that are dedicated for these drones and will be controlled by ATC if/when that time comes.

Weed delivery much more profitable and feasible .
Food delivery???? You will be out of business within 30 days.

To be honest, i kind of like the idea of having an indie drone delivery service.
Regarding lifting capacity, i’d suggest a different approach.
One could buy a small fleet of used phantom drones, preferably without a camera.
A Phantoms body gives you more ways to strap payload onto, and would give you more lifting capacity to work with.

As for having freelancers piloting the food to customers, I dont know if this is feasible.
Big Companies like Amazon invest in drones in order to offer AUTONOMOUS delivery.
To compete, you would need to connect your drone fleet in a network to control them remotely from a pc. (Similar to the plexidrone swarm)

It's interesting to me that so many people are shooting the idea down (figuratively, not literally). I didn't read anything on the website at all, just skimmed the thread. But I applaud the guy for moving on this now. If your business strategy is to wait for Amazon to figure it out first and THEN move, you're going to be way too late to the party.

Kudos to @Thunderdrones for being pretty much the only one to be bold enough to share the vision of the OP. When Tom Morey invented the boogie board, he brought it into the shop of Gordon & Smith, having struggled to find a company to partner with. A guy named Bill behind the counter pulled Larry Gordon aside and talked him out of it, saying no one would ever buy one. Fast forward almost 50 years and just about every beach in the world is polka dotted with them. (#regrettablebusinessmove) Whether it's Bill, Pete Best, or anyone else that blew it big, no one wants to be that guy. Whether or not the OP's execution is fine tuned at this time, I think we will see drone delivery in our lifetimes and probably within 10 years.

To the OP: Interesting twist on merging drone delivery to include an Uber-like crowd sourcing of labor. Good luck!

I absolutely and completely believe specialized drones will enter the delivery arena soon. Just not as Mavic Pros. We will see drones in the air as commonly as we see FedEx and UPS trucks on the road. As in constantly eventually. Not just delivery but in police and security surveillance. Perimeter patrol for military and defense facilities. Time sensitive deliveries between hospitals (as in transplant organs). Dropping emergency supplies to disaster victims. It just goes on and on..

Mavic 2 Enterprise edition anyone?

Amongst the numerous obstacles there is a fatal flaw—-
What’s in it for the seller like Starbucks for example?
Don’t tell me they sell another cup of coffee. You will never get a company such as Starbucks McDonald’s or any other company to participate . It’s called liability- McDonald employee attaches bag of food to your drone and something happens guess who other than you is getting the **** sued out of them? Next lol

If your business strategy is to wait for Amazon to figure it out first and THEN move, you're going to be way too late to the party.

100% agree. This OP looks serious about it, but his website needs a little more panache and an info or "about us" page if he (she) is going to grow it.

OP, maybe you can share your background and experience, so that the naysayers will be able to see ways that you can navigate around the obstacles.

This is another good writeup of making money with your drone. #7 on this thread is relevant:

How to Make Money With A Drone: 10 Ways to Make Profit

What about areas where there is a lot of interference and the drone just drops from the sky or the bag rips and food goes flying out and lands on a a car on the highway and causes a 20 car pileup? I like the idea but not with the mavic Pro at least a phantom or higher.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661