DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Android Tablet that you tested its Work ?

Lov'n my refurbished apple mini 4 128 gig unit 294.00 taxs incl.
Light Weight for Wi-Fi 298.8 grams
Big screen and bright at: 2048-by-1536 (326ppi).
Size: 7.9"
Thickness: 6.1mm
2 percent rate of light reflectance, the lowest the company has ever seen on a mobile display.

I started out with a cheap tablet.. but returned it to get the Nivida K1 Shield and it works perfectly!

I'm wondering if Tab E will work. It is similar to Tab A. Any experience with either?
I was having some issues getting the TAB E to work then found an article that recommended going into developer mode on Android and enabling the USB debugging mode, worked like a charm after that.

I am using a $ 65 dollar Acer Iconia One 7" tablet that works perfectly. Probably not as bright as some of the higher end ones but it gets the job done....

I started out with a cheap tablet.. but returned it to get the Nivida K1 Shield and it works perfectly!

Don't upgrade to Nougat. I just test the Shield K1 with Nougat and it was definitely NOT perfect. The app locked up completely after 15 minutes of flight. I posted a thread a few minutes ago.

I haven't had an issue with Android 7.0 on my K1.. I took it out for about an hour without any problems.. but I only have the GO4 app and Lithchi and stock apps that came with it.. also have a 32GB micro sd card.. perfect so far even with the update of both GO4 & Nougat..

Based on good reviews and my 73 year old eyes needing as large a display as will fit in the controller, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 well before I ordered my Mavic, and I'm now questioning my decision. The installed Android version (6.0.1) apparently defaults its Micro B USB port to charge only, so it won't talk to the controller without a very specific connection sequence covered extensively in a dedicated thread. I'm also REALLY disappointed in the visibility of the screen in bright sunlight. Unless there's a secret setting for the display that I've not been able to find, it's essentially useless. I don't know if other tablets have better contrast and less reflections, but I'd have to wear a full hood over my head and the controller/tablet to see it well enough to use for orientation and/or control of the drone.

Based on good reviews and my 73 year old eyes needing as large a display as will fit in the controller, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 well before I ordered my Mavic, and I'm now questioning my decision. The installed Android version (6.0.1) apparently defaults its Micro B USB port to charge only, so it won't talk to the controller without a very specific connection sequence covered extensively in a dedicated thread. I'm also REALLY disappointed in the visibility of the screen in bright sunlight. Unless there's a secret setting for the display that I've not been able to find, it's essentially useless. I don't know if other tablets have better contrast and less reflections, but I'd have to wear a full hood over my head and the controller/tablet to see it well enough to use for orientation and/or control of the drone.

To get S2 tablet working simply turn on both the drone and controller with tablet connected to remote. Now restart the tablet. After tablet boots up, it will be connected and app will work.

Regarding screen brightness, turn up the brightness to maximum in the settings. In direct sunlight, there is no tablet that is bright enough. You will need to shade the screen with a hood, or get under some shade. The s2 tablet is one of the brightest and best displays you can get.

I'm using a Huawei Mediapad X2. Best size vs portability for Mavic.

Attachments

• 20170215_112152.jpg
    20170215_112152.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
Anyone tried the ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 Z580 ?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I am looking at getting a Z380M. Not sure I want an Atom so I will stick with ARM. Anyone try this tablet with DJI Go? It looks like it fits in the remote just fine with the perfect thickness. It is cheap too.

ASUS ZenPad 8 Dark Gray 8-inch Android Tablet [Z380M]

Amazon.com : ASUS ZenPad 8 Dark Gray 8-inch Android Tablet [Z380M] 2MP Front / 5MP Rear PixelMaster Camera, WXGA TouchScreen, 16GB Onboard Storage, Quad-Core 1.3GHz Processor, 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi : Computers & Accessories

41JYmgGBhRL.jpg

Based on MANY postings here and other forums as well, DJI Go4 apps seem to be MUCH more reliable on Apple products than on Android.
I grudgingly bought an iPad mini4 specifically for use with the Mavic. I have had ZERO issues with it, but I will not be using it for anything else other than the Mavic. I really dislike the the ios system but it is great on the Mavic.

I am looking at getting a Z380M. Not sure I want an Atom so I will stick with ARM. Anyone try this tablet with DJI Go? It looks like it fits in the remote just fine with the perfect thickness. It is cheap too.
I would rather buy a used Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T710). You can find one for under $150 on eBay. Make sure you get the SM-T710 version which was released 2 years ago. There is an updated version of the S2 (SM-T713), but it seems to have some compatibility issues with the Mavic Pro. Check out this thread:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 First Impression

Based on MANY postings here and other forums as well, DJI Go4 apps seem to be MUCH more reliable on Apple products than on Android.
I grudgingly bought an iPad mini4 specifically for use with the Mavic. I have had ZERO issues with it, but I will not be using it for anything else other than the Mavic. I really dislike the the ios system but it is great on the Mavic.

I run it on a Sony Android phone now (Running Nougat 7.1.1) and I have 0 crashes with Go 4, so I am Highly suspicious of the apps one has running on their tab or phone as a prime source of the crashes themselves. You also cannot firewall an app on iOS which is why it is not the optimal solution for me. Apple controls everything you do with your device. Most people probably don't mind this, but I for one would like to control my drone and not have someone controlling it. It is what it is.

With that said, I am fairly confident that I can make almost any Android tab work without crashing.

Edit: If you care, the only permissions I am giving DJI Go is Location, Microphone, and Storage. Everything else is blocked. In addition, disabling allow write system settings seems to have increased stability. The last thing I turn off is allow background data. When I start the app, I let it think it has full phone communication, and then switch to airplane mode after the app is started. This seems to keep it happy but the firewall (NetGuard) blocks the app from actually making a connection out.

In addition to the above, I also force close anything unneeded on the phone so that nothing additional is running in the background. I leave system apps alone, but I force close all additional apps that I added to the phone.

Just did an 18 min flight yesterday with no crashes doing the above. Works great. Still running an older version of DJI Go though - 4.0.6.

Thanks for the tip on the Apple though, but it is not for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: namja
I would rather buy a used Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T710). You can find one for under $150 on eBay. Make sure you get the SM-T710 version which was released 2 years ago. There is an updated version of the S2 (SM-T713), but it seems to have some compatibility issues with the Mavic Pro. Check out this thread:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 First Impression

Me and Sammy are no longer friends. I have spent over $5K with them and the loyalty I got back was dropped product support shortly after my purchase. This is the equivalent of take my money and run IMHO. You are lucky if you got a patch or two our of them. I have at least one device that they never once updated. Arrogance this.

One thing about Sammy though is they make a good looking product. If they had equal support, I would not hesitate to agree with you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada