DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic 2 Pro because of CSC stick input settings :(

You might consider editing your thread title now its clear its not an unexplained failure.

You might spend a bit of time with the manual also. No skill is required to fly these tech marvels but there is a lot that needs to be known about the settings and flight performance. We have all been caught out at times.

Emergency is probably obstructed prop or similar propulsion issue, navigation error, unusual flight pattern.

That’s a very cool aerial move however it is also the method for shutting down the motors so it’s to be avoided. But for cinematography, it’s actually a pretty cool look.

It is a cool move but not when done at full blast which would be with the stick actually in the corners.

Can you clarify what qualifies for an emergency?
It's supposed to be when the flight controller determines it's not operating correctly, but nobody knows exactly what that means. Maybe compass/navigation errors or any other red warning you'd get in the app other than battery...

Good luck Enzo. I'm personally not holding my breath that they'll do much of anything for you personally. In my opinion, until the FTC or some other governmental organization absolutely FORCES them to acknowledge some sort of an issue...then they'll obfuscate and deny to the end IMHO. I'll be interested to see what some folks here think if you retained the flight logs and are able to share them.

I don't think DJI should do anything for him since it was his fault.

It is a cool move but not when done at full blast which would be with the stick actually in the corners.

It's supposed to be when the flight controller determines it's not operating correctly, but nobody knows exactly what that means. Maybe compass/navigation errors or any other red warning you'd get in the app other than battery...

From what I've been told, it's when anything unusual is happening. Errors, SAT loss, etc.

Had that happen on a holystone once wish I had this feature. Calibrated fine, fired up fine, lift off no problem "It kept going" I couldn't kill it stop it was like watching a balloon 200,300 ft never stopped. Flown it 100 times did same sequence every time, you just stand mouth wide open sad look on your face. No idea where it landed. So real cautious with mav pro dont like that feeling[emoji24]

Can you clarify what qualifies for an emergency?
I no idea. However, I can tell you that I've never seen a case where someone accidentally initiated CSC mid-flight when the emergency option was selected.

And interestingly Mike, I don't think that anyone really knows what constitutes an emergency situation ??!!
As far as I know, DJI has never explained this in documentation.

Can you clarify what qualifies for an emergency? What I mean is how does the drone know if I am doing that stick maneuver to get a particular shot or I have an emergency?

WWK: The aircraft has no idea if it's in an "emergency" situation, that's the pilot in command's call. But, I can't imagine ever getting the controls in the same position as emergency stop. If you did, the aircraft would be descending, spinning left, moving backwards and sideways to the right all at the same time, (using the standard "stop" controls which would be highly unusual for video recording.) Using the other "stop" method would be similar except the spin and sideways movement would be reversed.

I still don't know how you managed to get the sticks in that position during flight as it would be so counter intuitive but my guess is that you were descending when it happened. Nonetheless, flying a camera drone and trying to learn to be a cinematographer is a constant learning process for most of us.

KB

Looks like you need a bit of height for this, but it has been proven that you can do a mid-air restart after doing the CSC crash-stop!

I wish he would’ve said how much altitude loss was necessary. To me it looks like about 200 feet.

KB

Previous tests with Phantoms suggest more like 400 ft. It takes around 150 ft minimum to arrest the descent after restart.

Previous tests with Phantoms suggest more like 400 ft. It takes around 150 ft minimum to arrest the descent after restart.

Ahhh, thanks SAR...I hadn’t considered that.. it’s very difficult to see the drone after the restart in the clip. Four hundred obviously means it is not feasible if you abide by the rules and I sure as heck have no intention of trying it.

KB

Am I reading that diagram correctly? Throttle stick held to full stop for 3 seconds shuts off the motors? So a person in a rapid descent (bad idea) could inadvertently trigger shutdown?

And for what it's worth, yes, Provided you are on top of your game and react quickly enough, you could restart the motors before the helicopter reaches the ground.

Reactions: tgreve
Am I reading that diagram correctly? Throttle stick held to full stop for 3 seconds shuts off the motors? So a person in a rapid descent (bad idea) could inadvertently trigger shutdown?

And for what it's worth, yes, Provided you are on top of your game and react quickly enough, you could restart the motors before the helicopter reaches the ground.

No, you are not reading it correctly. Throttle alone fully down for 3 seconds only stops the motors if the aircraft detects no descent - i.e. it has landed. The CSC is both sticks down and in or both sticks down and out.

Reactions: pchaps
No, you are not reading it correctly. Throttle alone fully down for 3 seconds only stops the motors if the aircraft detects no descent - i.e. it has landed. The CSC is both sticks down and in or both sticks down and out.
That's what I was hoping. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: pchaps
WWK: The aircraft has no idea if it's in an "emergency" situation, that's the pilot in command's call.

KB

Am I wrong or did DJI changed the "emergency situation" from Mavic 1 to Mavic 2?

In my manual (Mavic Pro) I read:

"..Stop motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft crash. The motors can only be stopped mid-flight when the flight controller detects critical error."

While the screenshot from the manual for Mavic 2 further up in this thread states: "..The motors should only be stopped mid-flight in an emergency situation such as.."

So, yes I agree with the quoted statement: for Mavic 2 the pilot is responsible to decide if there is an emergency situation.

...or is there a way to let the flight controller decide as described in the Mavic 1 manual?

WWK: The aircraft has no idea if it's in an "emergency" situation, that's the pilot in command's call. But, I can't imagine ever getting the controls in the same position as emergency stop. If you did, the aircraft would be descending, spinning left, moving backwards and sideways to the right all at the same time, (using the standard "stop" controls which would be highly unusual for video recording.) Using the other "stop" method would be similar except the spin and sideways movement would be reversed.

I still don't know how you managed to get the sticks in that position during flight as it would be so counter intuitive but my guess is that you were descending when it happened. Nonetheless, flying a camera drone and trying to learn to be a cinematographer is a constant learning process for most of us.

KB

Thanks for your response and by the way I am not the OP so I did not do this maneuver.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d