DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone outside condo raises privacy concerns (Canada - Global News)

rjwmorrell

Reactions
SMH - It is people who are not using good judgment and rule infractions while flying drones that make it difficult for professionals.

I've got news for her: anyone with a telephoto lens in those other condos you can see from her window could get a better view inside her unit, much less obtrusively, with no chance of being spotted.

That whole area is within the control zone for Pearson, so if it was a 250+ g drone the pilot would have had permission (and a advanced certification). Not that many real estate agents seem to bother with that, sadly.

I didn't watch the video yet, but speaking from experience, I conducted a flight in downtown Hamilton that was near some highrise buildings and later on the police attended where I was flying from to explain that they had calls regarding a drone in the area. People in buildings and walking around have no idea that unless we are flying a few feet from a window and hovering, drone cameras are not ideal for this type of privacy invasion.

I was taking hyperlapses, and cinematic shots of cityscapes and streetscapes, I had no interest in looking into windows whatsoever. It makes for boring video, quite frankly. I understand that people can be concerned -- but as @Robert Prior points out, a telephoto lens in another condo is way more intrusive and less easily detected.

Ugh, I just watched it, and the last blurb there in the story is just the icing on the cake of stupid. The police encouraging concerned citizens to call "911" if they see a drone outside their window will lead to all sort of nonsense false emergency calls, and the justification is thin: "because it's time sensitive and may involve mischief or voyeurism".

Certainly, crimes is progress should be relayed to police, but the last time I checked they were encouraging 911 only for calls involving a potential danger to life and limb. If they really want to be chasing drone pilots down that's a bit of a misuse of resources, however, if they're going to do that I at least hope the attending officers are informed of what the rules are.

I think everyone here knows my position on topics like this one.

My question is would she feel any better knowing it was a police drone patrolling the area and doing surveillance work?
Too small to be a police drone, and the wrong shape. TPS uses something like the Matrice, not something like the Phantom.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
The police encouraging concerned citizens to call "911" if they see a drone outside their window will lead to all sort of nonsense false emergency calls
On the bright side, if you see your car is being stolen you could throw in a drone sighting to bump your call up the priority queue…

(Given TPS responsiveness to much more serious events, all this "call 911" will do is further overload the 911 call centre.)

Anyone wanting to peep will mostly use a Nikon P1000 with its 3.000mm optical equivalent (plus digital zoom)... or a Mavic 3, which is "just" a 162mm, but it's flying, so you can move around to avoid obstructions and follow any subject. A Phantom for peeping... haha, nope.

I can put a P1000 on a tripod and record you all day long from 2+ Km away, and you will never, ever, going to notice it unless I make that stuff public, while the Mavic 3 can be easily heared if I get closer than 250m at 120m alt but ofc, we need to ban drones because potatoes.

In reality if you are doing some investigation work, you'll want to use both as they have their own advantages and disadvantages.

PS: People usually start to freak out when they see a drone hovering nearby, so the pro tip here is to not hover too long on the same spot, people get upset by flying by drones, but they never call cops on that.

On the bright side, if you see your car is being stolen you could throw in a drone sighting to bump your call up the priority queue…

(Given TPS responsiveness to much more serious events, all this "call 911" will do is further overload the 911 call centre.)
Agreed. I've sat on hold trying to report an actual assault in progress. Wait times are dreadful.

Normally I don't think you could see inside a condo because the light inside is way dimmer than the light outside, and you would just see the reflection of your drone. Maybe at night it would work.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Why do the Police not just advise any residents with guns just shoot down the drone if it is bothering them. Seems the most practical way of resolving the issue. Government should change the law to include any nuisance drone bothering householders forfeit their right to claim and can be shot down. Problem solved…
Well apart from the needless murders of persons randomly shot from stray bullets. In that case people who shoot at drones, Miss and hit people, immediately get the electric chair. Problem solved…
Except for the innocent people accused of killing people for shooting at drones when they were just defending themselves from intruders at their home. In that case the deceaseds family will receive a flower bouquet and an apology.
Problem solved. Phew.
It’s either that or just ban drones where people are entirely.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque and Drg
Why do the Police not just advise any residents with guns just shoot down the drone if it is bothering them. Seems the most practical way of resolving the issue. Government should change the law to include any nuisance drone bothering householders forfeit their right to claim and can be shot down. Problem solved…
Well apart from the needless murders of persons randomly shot from stray bullets. In that case people who shoot at drones, Miss and hit people, immediately get the electric chair. Problem solved…
Except for the innocent people accused of killing people for shooting at drones when they were just defending themselves from intruders at their home. In that case the deceaseds family will receive a flower bouquet and an apology.
Problem solved. Phew.
It’s either that or just ban drones where people are entirely.
Might as well install Flak 38 on the roofs at this point

Reactions: VikingwithDrones
The old saying, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones, they should also keep their shades drawn if they expect privacy… At 0:10 in the interview, the video shows her view, lots of high rises all around her condo… We have all seen the many, many movies, TV shows, and read books, where telescopes are a normal feature in these setting, so she has to expect someone snooping…

But I am not blaming the victim, she has a right to have her windows and shades open without the fear of peeping toms or peeping tinas or peeping tweens…

But if I saw a drone slowly descending outside my window I would probably find that my sofa cushions need some airing… Opps, it fell… Well I can always go down stairs and pick it up…

I know it is a crime to take a drone out but as they say, "Catch me if you can..."

Sheesh don't they have curtains or blinds over there?
lets be honest the picture she took of the drone was nowhere high enough to see into her home and we only have her word it flew up past her window, from a woman that looks like she needs a safe space & probably would do anything to get on TV.
it was for sure in my mind an innocent flight doing some time-lapse of traffic with nice buildings surrounding it or similar.
also the female news reporter has the jawline of a heavyweight boxer.

GN.png

Normally I don't think you could see inside a condo because the light inside is way dimmer than the light outside, and you would just see the reflection of your drone. Maybe at night it would work.
I've taken pictures at various distances starting about 15 ft back and moving in until I was a foot from the windows or skylights at my house. You can see a cat tree against one window, otherwise nothing is visible from the windows or skylights. Night is a whole different story - but anyone who values their privacy should close their blinds/curtains at night IMO.

anyone who values their privacy should close their blinds/curtains at night IMO.
Totally agree 100%
and the photo she took it was clearly day time.
if you re-watch her interview she's literally loving being on TV, basking in her 30 seconds of fame.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I've taken pictures at various distances starting about 15 ft back and moving in until I was a foot from the windows or skylights at my house. You can see a cat tree against one window, otherwise nothing is visible from the windows or skylights. Night is a whole different story - but anyone who values their privacy should close their blinds/curtains at night IMO.
I think if you live on a high floor of a building you normally don't expect people looking in so you don't close your curtains.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR