DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H.265 Codec and MacBook Pro

maxwebbi

Reactions
Hey guys,

I have following issue:
I bought a few days ago a Mavic Pro 2 and did my first flight yesterday. I recorded in H.265 Coded, DLOG-M, 4K/25fps. As I came home I was really frustrated... the videos are extrem stuttering.
My MacBook Pro has a 2,9 GHz Dual‑Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz, 256 GB SSD, Intel Iris Graphics 550.
When I'm changing the codec to H.264 the videos are smooth and I have no problems. I've tried different players (VLC, QuickTime, Elmedia) with no difference. macOS and all players are up to date.
Is my MacBook to old?? I'm really confused... this MBP is just two years old. I really want the 10bit information. Hope there is a solution for my problem!

I am not real familiar with macs, but the integrated graphics card is not going to handle 265 very well, the i5 is your next bottle neck. Does your editing software allow proxy files?

Wth?!?! :D I paid 2000€ for my MBP and it's to low for H.265. WOW Apple!
I've not used an editing software yet... i've just tried to play the video.

Wth?!?! :D I paid 2000€ for my MBP and it's to low for H.265. WOW Apple!
I've not used an editing software yet... i've just tried to play the video.

Dont take this as fact, as i said im not real familiar with macs, but just quickly looking over the specs it looks border line. I just tried importing 265 on a pc here with an i5 and a 1080ti and it does have some stuttering, so the i5 may be the problem. My other pc with an i7 and 2080ti, is smooth.

Yeah, it looks like my CPU is the problem. I'm still shocked... 2250$ and it's not able to play a H.265 coded video.
Is there another solution except buying new hardware?
I want to you use the DLOG-M oder HLG style. But these styles are forcing me to use H.265

H.265 requires a large amount of graphical and processing power to render smoothly, your MacBook Pro is an excellent machine, but it's not setup for the sort of processing that H.265 requires. To be fair not many machines can render H.265 well, you really need either a high end gaming machine or a machine dedicated to video editing.

If you use something like Premiere Pro to edit then use the proxy settings, that way you will be able to edit smoothly and render out the H.265 quality at the end.

Mark

Hey guys,

I have following issue:
I bought a few days ago a Mavic Pro 2 and did my first flight yesterday. I recorded in H.265 Coded, DLOG-M, 4K/25fps. As I came home I was really frustrated... the videos are extrem stuttering.
My MacBook Pro has a 2,9 GHz Dual‑Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz, 256 GB SSD, Intel Iris Graphics 550.
When I'm changing the codec to H.264 the videos are smooth and I have no problems. I've tried different players (VLC, QuickTime, Elmedia) with no difference. macOS and all players are up to date.
Is my MacBook to old?? I'm really confused... this MBP is just two years old. I really want the 10bit information. Hope there is a solution for my problem!

With the Iris 550 it would be a 2016 13-inch MBP with an i5 Skylake processor. That doesn't have hardware support for H.265 - you need Coffee Lake or later for that.

With the Iris 550 it would be a 2016 13-inch MBP with an i5 Skylake processor. That doesn't have hardware support for H.265 - you need Coffee Lake or later for that.

So my mid 2018 MacBook Pro will be good for H.265?
i5 8th gen, quad core, 16GB

Some additional information here:

Best Free HEVC Players to Play HEVC 4K Videos on PC/Mac

Best Free HEVC Players to Play HEVC 4K Videos on PC/Mac

Until recently, if you watch or download a video from the web, it's most likely encoded with H.264. But things are different these days. A new video codec named HEVC/H.265 appears and goes viral.

If your video library are rich in HEVC video files, the happiness and annoyance might be half and half. What's worth a joy is that HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) can save your space up to 50% compared with the H264 equivalent while keeping virtually the same high quality. What bothers you is that you need to look for a HEVC player to playback HEVC/H265 files on your Windows or macOS. Yes, H265 video player software does matter a lot, yet your computer hardware configuration is unnegligible, as well. So before we jump to the part of HEVC player recommendation, let's have a check on the list of HEVC supported hardware. Or, you still can't play HEVC video even if you get the H265 video player.

Honestly I don't know what proxy settings are, but I keep that in mind when i cut my first video! :D
Thank you

Look up how to use proxies on YouTube. Makes editing much faster, though the final product might be a problem. I just spen $2000 on a gaming laptop, and I don't think it will handle 4K. No idea if it will handle h.265. I'm new to video too.

Looking at the marketing blurb Kaby Lake also has support for H.265 unless I’m reading the specs wrong - I have been out of the nuances of IT for a while though.

One of many reviews to mention it...

Kaby Lake Core i7-7500U Versus Skylake Core i7-6500U on Dell XPS 13 - Page 7 of 8 - Legit Reviews

Yeah, it looks like my CPU is the problem. I'm still shocked... 2250$ and it's not able to play a H.265 coded video.
Is there another solution except buying new hardware?
I want to you use the DLOG-M oder HLG style. But these styles are forcing me to use H.265

Welcome to Apple haha. For almost half that money you can get a laptop with several times the power without the Apple logo :)

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Reactions: dannybgoode
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki